A discovery learning project.
Why are we completing this project?
• Every author has a message he/she tries to share through his/
• How do I know what message the author is trying to share?
• Why is it important for me to understand the author’s message?
1. I can explain what theme is, and apply that knowledge to determine
the theme of our class novel.
2. I can work collaboratively with my group to accomplish a task.
3. I can use technology to assist in my research, and to share my ideas.
4. I can think critically, problem solve, and direct my own learning.
Create a unique project
that shows your
understanding of the
theme of The Outsiders.
We will display all
projects in a showcase of
learning at the end of the
Where should I start?
1. As a group, define theme and come up with some examples of
common themes in literature. If you need help, visit the following
2. Post a message to our class blog titled “Theme”- read the prompt
3. Next, as a group, decide what you think the theme of The Outsiders
is. Come to a consensus- all group members must agree.
4. Plan a project to show your understanding of the theme of the
5. Create your project.
6. Evaluate your project using the scoring rubric.
7. Share your project in our showcase of learning.
Ideas for Projects
• Digital Scrapbook at glogster.com
• Short movie of images at animoto.com
• Poster at bighugelabs.com
• Word display at wordle.net
• Write an essay
• Movie using Flip cameras
• What else can you think of??
Ask me for help with login
Make sure to use
the rubric as your
guide for meeting