Cartoon Analysis Worksheet
VISUALS WORDS (Not all cartoons have words)
Level One: 2. Identify the cartoon caption and/or title.
1. List the objects or people you see in the cartoon. (5 points)
(6 points) State of the Union Address
a. Man w/ shotgun 3. Locate three words or phrases used by the
cartoonists to identify objects or people
b. Bride within the cartoon. (6 points)
d. Audience b. Shotgun
4. Record any important dates or numbers that
appear in the cartoon. (5 points)
Level Two: 7. Which words or phrases in the cartoon
5. Which of the objects on your list are symbols? (14 points) appear to be the most significant? (5 points)
a. Man w/ shotgun c. Groom Shotgun Wedding
b. Bride d. Band-aids
6. What do you think each symbol means? (14 points) 8. Why do you think they are the most
significant? (5 points)
a. American Voters c. George W. Bush Bush doesn’t really want to get married
to the Democrats he is being forced to by
b. Democrats d. 2006 mid-term election beating the voters.
9. Describe the action taking place in the cartoon. (5 points)
A man is being forced to marry a donkey
10. Explain the message of the cartoon. (20 points)
After the 2006 mid-term congressional elections the voters made it very clear that they don’t believe
Bush is capable of running the country effectively. The voters expect him to work with the new
Democratic congress even if he doesn’t want to. And essentially be “wed” to Democratic ideas.
11. Identify a special interest group (not you) that would either agree or disagree with the cartoon’s message.
(5 points) The Democratic Party would agree with the cartoons message
12. Explain why they would agree or disagree? (10 points)
They believe the American people have spoken and that it is time for a change and the President is going
to have to start listening now that the Democrats control Congress.