1. Hold the pencil on an angle and use its flat side. Shading should have a fuzzy edge.
2. Shade in ONE direction. Shading should be smooth and even, (no distinct pencil lines.)
3. Use the natural curve of your wrist when shading curved objects.
4. Follow the contours of an object when shading.
5. Apply more pressure on the pencil when shading darker values. Apply light pressure and shade
very SLOWLY for lighter values.
6. Use the pencil point for tiny details.
7. Do not use your fingers to smudge shaded areas.
8. SQUINT your eyes to see if your shading is smooth. You should not see distinct layers of gray.
9. Successful shading is achieved when you see ALL shades of grey (use your greyscale)