PAPERCUT SOFTWARE PTY LTD
PaperCut NG – Monitor Module
Quick Start Guide
The PaperCut NG Monitor Module (PC-MM) allows PaperCut NG to integrate with
the Monitor Supervisor system to retrieve account balance information and record
print activity. The PC-MM uses the Monitor Accounting Popup DLL to communicate
with the Monitor Supervisor server.
The PC-MM runs as a separate service to the PaperCut NG application allowing it to
be hosted on a separate machine or platform. PaperCut recommends running the PC-
MM on the Monitor Supervisor server if possible.
The PC-MM listens on port 9199 for connections from the PaperCut NG application
server. It is recommended that the firewalls/switches are configured to only allow
connections to this port from the server running PaperCut NG.
The communication used between these components is a lightweight XMLRPC
protocol. This has a number of important advantages over traditional RPC
1. Firewall friendly – only one port (9199) needs to be opened between PCNG
and the Monitor Module.
2. Resilient to network issues – Once network issues are resolved communication
will restart seamlessly without needing to restart either server.
3. Lightweight – Only a minimal amount of data is sent across the network so it
can be used on slower connections
• PaperCut NG version 7.0 (or greater)
• PaperCut NG Monitor Module
• Monitor Accounting Popup DLL. Recommended version: 22.214.171.1241 (or
• Monitor Supervisor POS Version 126.96.36.1995 (or greater)
• PaperCut NG Monitor Module will require a Supervisor NET GWY SETUP
1. Install PaperCut NG on the print server. Detailed instructions for setting up
PaperCut NG can be found in the user manual.
2. Before setting up the Monitor Module, check that the PaperCut NG server is
monitoring printing correctly.
• Navigate to the “Printers” section and check that the printers hosted on this
machine are listed
• Perform a test print, and then check that the print job was logged correctly.
The print logs can be viewed in Printers ->Print Log tab.
3. Install Monitor Supervisor and import user accounts as per Monitor
• The usernames should imported as uppercase within Supervisor.
• The Monitor Module requires a Supervisor NET GWY SETUP license
• Supervisor Net Primary accounts MUST have ‘Multiple Sessions’ enabled.
Using the Monitor Import File Formatter (MIFF) create a Primary import
(transaction type 31) for all primary numbers. On the fifth screen of the
MIFF wizard choose the ‘Data Formats’ TAB, from the left pain highlight
‘Allow Multiple Sessions’ and set a ‘Constant Value’ of N in the tuning
area. Complete the wizard and import records into monitor using the
Automatic Timed Import (ATI) service. The import will append the setting
‘Allow Multiple Sessions’ and will not alter the balance or other details on
the Full Details screen within Administrator, however backup Primary.dat
4. Install the Monitor Accounting Popup DLL on the server that will host the
PaperCut Monitor Module. The recommended install location for the DLL is:
D:\Program Files\Monitor Business Machines\SupervisorNet\bin. The
Monitor Module will automatically search for the DLL in this and other
default locations. If the DLL is not installed in a standard location, the DLL
path will need to be manually configured in the server.properties file after
5. Setup the MBMAccountingPopup.ini as per the Monitor installation
instructions. It is important to ensure that the server connection settings are
correct to allow the PaperCut Monitor Module to communicate with the
Supervisor system. The following settings should also be changed:
• SearchIndex=3 - tells the DLL to perform user lookup by username
• UsePrinterName=1 – allows PaperCut to control the disbursement that
is charged. If this is set to 0, then the default disbursement setup in the
INI file will always be used. NOTE: The PaperCut Monitor Module
currently always charges the “PRINTS” disbursement for printing and
“ADD VALUE” for adjustments and refunds.
• MBMAccounting.ini ‘Naming Service’ must be the IP address of the
monitor server. This also requires the ‘Naming Publishing Method’ is
set to ‘IP Address’ from the Supervisor Net Administrator software |
Server Settings | Core Server Settings TAB.
6. Install the PaperCut NG Monitor Module by running the setup wizard. At
completion of the wizard the Monitor Module service will be started
7. Verify that the Monitor Module has started correctly by opening the log file
[installdir]\Logs\server.log file. This can be opened by selecting the
“Open Log File” option in the start menu (Programs->PaperCut NG Monitor
Module). If the server has started successfully an entry like the following will
2005-12-13 15:49:05,538 INFO XMLRPCServer:67 - RPC server started on
8. If this entry does not appear and the only that appears is like the following,
then this indicates that the INI file connection settings are incorrect, which
could cause the Monitor Module to stop working or crash.
2005-12-13 17:11:00,554 INFO ... - Loading Monitor DLL and authenticating to
Monitor server ...
The server will try to restart automatically in the case of crash, however if the
cause of the problem is incorrect configuration this will need to be fixed first
and then the Monitor Module will need to be restarted.
9. The Monitor Module requires a Supervisor primary account that has full
access to all secondary accounts. If “PERMIT” is not being used this can be
any user in the system. By default the module is configured to use the
“Default Test Account”. To use a different primary account:
• Open the module’s [installdir]\server.properties file
• Modify the monitor.full-secondary-access.username value to be
the username of the primary account that has full access to all
secondary account. NOTE: The name is case-sensitive, and must
match the ID field in Supervisor exactly.
• Restart the Monitor Module, using the “Stop/Start Monitor
Module” start menu items.
10. If the Monitor Module service has started correctly, then PaperCut NG should
be configured to connect to the Monitor Module service to retrieve account
balances. To do this:
• Login to PaperCut NG
• Navigate to “Options->Advanced Options”
• Under “External Account Source”, click the “Go to external account
source setup” option
• Enable the external account source by checking the option and setting the
server name and port of where the Monitor Module is running. If the
Monitor Module is running on the same machine as PaperCut then the
default settings can be used.
• Click “Apply”. If the PaperCut can establish a connection to the Monitor
Module a success message will be displayed (as shown below).
11. If an error message is displayed. Ensure that the Monitor Module is running
and the connection settings are configured correctly.
Verifying the Integration
This section describes some test to validate that the Monitor integration is working
1. Check that user balances are retrieved from Supervisor, and that print jobs can
be charged to users.
• Navigate to the “Users” section within PaperCut
• Find a user that exists within Supervisor, and click the link to go to the
user details page. (For simplicity, choose a user that is not configured to
be prompted for a Secondary). At this point PaperCut will synchronise the
user’s account balance with Supervisor, if this is successful the user’s
balance will be updated to match Supervisor. You should also see an
“[external balance change]” transaction in the user’s Transaction History.
• Perform a balance adjustment on this user by modifying their credit on the
User details screen. The credit adjustment should now be reflected in
• As a user that exists in Supervisor (and is not configured to be prompted
for a Secondary), try performing a print to one of the printers monitored by
PaperCut. Check that the print job has been logged in PaperCut, and then
check that an equivalent transaction has been recorded in Supervisor.
2. Test that PaperCut NG works with Monitor Secondary accounts:
• In Supervisor, edit a user so that “Account Held” is set to “Secondary” and
the “Prompt for Secondary” option is enabled.
• In PaperCut NG, navigate to the “User” section and select the user that
was just modified in Supervisor
• Verify that the “Account Selection” options for the user are set to “Show
the account selection popup” and that “Allow user to charge to shared
accounts (with a PIN)” is enabled.
• As the user from above, log into a machine and run the PaperCut client
software. On the PaperCut server this can be run from the start menu
(Programs->PaperCut NG->Client). If on another machine it can be run
directly from a share on the server (\\server\PCClient\pc-client.exe).
• Print a document as this user.
• The client will popup requesting the account to charge.
• Select “Charge to account with PIN”, and enter the Supervisor secondary
number to charge (See screenshot below). If a matching secondary
number is found, the print job will allowed to print and that account will
• In PaperCut, go to the “Accounts” section and verify that PaperCut created
a matching “Shared Account” for this Secondary. (See screen shot)
• In Supervisor, verify that the print job was allocated to the Secondary