HANS RAJ MODEL SCHOOL, PUNJABI BAGH
Practice Assignment – I (CLASS IV) 2011-12
Name ____________________ Section_____ Date___________
I Underline the common noun and encircle the proper nouns in these sentences:
1. Rohit is a handsome boy.
2. Manik went to the bank to withdraw money.
3. The sixth month of the year is June.
4. Stella likes to collect stamps.
5. Do not pluck flowers from the school garden.
6. My favourite sportsperson is Mahender Singh Dhoni.
7. My mother`s birthday is on Tuesday.
8. She lived in a small village near the city Delhi.
II Fill in the blanks with suitable common and proper nouns:
1. Rama and Lakshmana were the sons of King ____________ .
2. Madhu`s mother baked a ___________ on her birthday.
3. No bird likes to be kept in a _______________ .
4. __________ is the festival of colours.
5. My father went to _______________ on a trip.
6. Moscow is the capital of _________________ .
7. I read many ___________ during the holidays.
8. Those _______________ are lovely.
III Classify proper nouns and the common nouns:
Himalayas,car, Sanskrit,country, magazine, city,Sania Mirza,
Friday, hero, Shahrukh Khan, paper, church, Brahamaputra,
Kohinoor, pigeons, Bible, language, months, December, cage
IV Fill in the blanks with suitable collective nouns using the given help box:
String, troop, shoal, bunch, audience, litter,
pride, flight, bundle, gaggle, herd, range.
1. The whole ____________ of puppies was sold to Rajat.
2. In the clear water of the lake, we saw a ________ of fish.
3. The entire ________ of lions was sitting in the sun.
4. Rashmi bought a ________ of pearls from a shop.
5. The boy picked up a _________ of sticks.
6. The Himalayas are the youngest _____________ of mountains.
7. A ____________ of soldiers marched into the battlefield.
8. A ____________ of geese flocked to the lake.
9. We came across a _______________ of elephants in the National Park.
10.My mother has lost her _______________ of keys.
11. The _____________ is getting impatient at the delay.
12.You must go up three __________ of stairs to reach the
Some collective nouns:
a bevy of ladies a school / shoal of fish
a flight of stairs a brood of hens / chicks
a flight / flock of pigeons a crew of sailors
a company of actors a choir of singers
a murder of crows a posse of policemen
a staff of teachers a gang of robbers / thieves
a troupe of dancers a troop of monkeys
a chest of drawers a mob of rowdies / rioters
a board of directors a sheaf of papers
a pile of books a faculty of professors
HANS RAJ MODEL SCHOOL,PUNJABI BAGH, DELHI
PRACTICE ASSIGNMENT 2 ENGLISH
WRITING SKILLS - PARAGRAPH WRITING
A paragraph is a short piece of writing consisting of a number of sentences dealing with one
topic. It contains a central idea.
You can write a successful paragraph by starting off with a plan. The key to doing a
successful paragraph is to break down the writing into short, simple steps.
STEP 1 :
Write down the subject of your paragraph. To express your subject, write only a word or
phrase. Who or what are you writing about? Below it writes the important points you can
think of that are directly related to the topic.
STEP 2 :
Begin by brainstorming. Brainstorming involves coming up with ideas using words or
STEP 3: Using the points you thought of in Step 1, in the sequence/order you decided in
Step 2, write the paragraphs.
STEP 4: After completing, read your paragraph to check for any spelling or grammatical
The main idea is expressed through three sections of a paragraph:
1. Beginning - Introduce your idea.
2. Middle - Explain your idea.
3. End - Make your point again, transition to next paragraph.
Points to remember
Give a suitable heading to your passage.
Word limit: 100 – 120 words.
Think about the topic carefully.
Use appropriate adjectives, comparisons, to bring about unique features of what
you are describing.
Make the piece interesting so that the reader is compelled to read.