CITY OF NAPERVILLE
DATE: November 3, 2008
SUBJECT: Fair Housing Advisory Commission 2007-2008 Annual Report
Section 2-5-5 of the Municipal Code indicates that one of the powers and duties of the Fair
Housing Advisory Commission is to render a written report to the City Council of its activities,
and its recommendations, if any, with respect to the enforcement of Section 10-5 (Fair Housing)
of the Municipal Code. The following report provides a summary of activities the Commission
has undertaken to implement and enforce Fair Housing in the City from May 1, 2007 through
April 30, 2008.
1. Welcomed one (1) new member and two (2) student members on the Commission.
2. Presided over one (1) new fair housing complaint:
a. Case FH009: Alleged disability complaint alleging a landlord had refused to make
reasonable property accommodations was dismissed.
3. Authored and received a Mayoral proclamation declaring April 2008 Fair Housing
4. Provided the city’s Legal Department with a list of suggested amendments to the City of
Naperville Fair Housing Ordinance. This project is still ongoing.
5. Investigated the possibility of initiating a fair housing outreach panel to work with local
high schools in educating students on the topic of fair housing. This project is still
6. Accepted and reviewed the Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice in the City
of Naperville, Illinois (AI) with its author. The AI was subsequently submitted to and
accepted by City Council. The Commission discussed possible methods of responding to
the recommendations presented in the analysis.
7. Submitted a Community Development Block Grant proposal that would be used to
engage HOPE Fair Housing to investigate racial steering within the City of Naperville.
This project is a response to findings in the AI.
8. Gathered facts about affordable housing in accordance with Title 2 (Boards and
Commissions), Chapter 5 (Fair Housing Advisory Commission), Section 3 (Powers and
Duties) of the City Code, to assist in the identification and development of available
resources related to housing:
a. Commission hosted numerous speakers to further educate the commission on the
topic of fair and affordable housing. Speakers were from organizations which
include, but are not limited to, HOPE Fair Housing, Prairie State Legal Services,
and various city staff and city attorneys.
b. Interviewed members of the Naperville community regarding housing.
c. Conducted individual research about affordable housing, which was presented to