Gear Up for Winter Driving This Holiday Season
The weather outside may be frightful, but your commute doesn’t have to be
— that is, if you take the proper steps to prepare your vehicle for winter
weather. Be prepared with Firestone Complete Auto Care’s winter driving
safety tips to help make sure you arrive home safely for the holidays.
• Be proactive! Winter only magnifies existing problems like pings, hard
starts, sluggish performance or rough idling. Make sure your vehicle is
mechanically sound before the temperature dips and the streets get icy.
• Make certain the engine is in peak condition. Also, check the cooling
system. Coolant should be replaced per the vehicle manufacturer’s
• Prepare for winter emergencies by using your trunk as a storage place
for emergency items. Important items to have on hand are: a properly
inflated spare tire, an ice scraper, windshield de-icer, a flashlight, a
blanket, extra clothes, bottled water and non-perishable snacks. Don’t
forget your cell phone’s car charger.
• Minimize the possibility of control problems by putting winter tires on all
four wheels. Ask your local Firestone Complete Auto Care technician
about Bridgestone Blizzak tires; these tires are specially designed to
improve your vehicle’s stability and handling in adverse winter driving
• Check your tire pressure weekly when the weather turns cold. As the
temperature outside drops, the air inside a tire contracts, dropping the
tire’s air pressure. A tire’s PSI measurement can drop one pound for every
10-degree drop in temperature. Under-inflation will lessen the gripping
action because the tire tread will not meet the road surface as it was
designed to do.
• Use common sense during adverse road conditions. Reduce your
driving speed, and increase your following distance in hazardous winter
• If you get stuck in the snow, don’t spin your tires — this can overheat
them and possibly cause damage. Use sand, gravel, kitty litter, an asphalt
shingle or another gritty item to help your tires gain traction.
From Atlantic to Pacific, you can help make the traffic terrific by being
proactive about winter driving safety and following these simple but crucial
tips. Remember, there’s no place like home for the holidays, so make sure
you arrive safely by taking the necessary precautions. Get more tips at