ARAPAHOE COUNTY POSITION DESCRIPTION
TITLE: Quality Assurance Analyst GRADE: A07
DEPT: Information Technology DIVISION: Business Relationships
JOB CODE: ABSA07 CLASS: Exempt DATE: 11/3/2010
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Quality Assurance Analyst’s role is to continue development and maintaining quality
assurance standards and measures of information technology services within the organization.
This individual will gather and analyze data in support of business cases, proposed projects, and
systems requirements. This includes writing test plans and scripts for tracking defects and fixes
in product development, software application development, information systems, network server
and infrastructure and operations systems, including in-house developed applications and off the
shelf products. The QA Analyst will apply proven analytical and problem-solving skills to help
validate IT processes through careful testing in order to maximize the benefit of business
investments in IT initiatives. Review existing processes and make recommendations on
appropriate changes to the quality assurance and testing function and process.
Works under general supervision from an IT supervisor. Will take direction from the Business
System Analysts/Project Manager while working on specific projects.
No direct supervision, however, will assist a Project Manager on small projects during
implementation of new systems and applications.
The Quality Assurance Analyst works alone or as part of a project team. This position requires
strong written and oral communication skills, functioning as liaisons between various internal
groups within Information Technology, end users and vendors. Must be experienced in all
aspects of quality assurance and systems/software application testing with and understanding of
information systems development, implementation and maintenance. Must be able to implement
and follow processes, complete thorough documentation, identify and handle minor conflicts and
identify escalation requirements in a timely fashion. Must stay abreast of evolving technology as
well as contemporary business practices and trends.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
The following duty statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include
other non-essential or marginal duties that may be required. The County reserves the right to modify
or change the duties or essential functions of this job at any time.
• Continue development and maintaining quality assurance measures and testing standards
for new applications, products, and/or enhancements to existing applications throughout
their development/product lifecycles.
• Create documentation of any new application or updated application.
• Conduct internal audits to measure and assure adherence to established QA standards for
software development, application integration, and information system performance, and
• Create and execute test plans and scripts that will determine optimal application
performance according to specifications.
• Verify and revise quality assurance standards as needed.
• Ensure that testing activities allow applications to meet business requirements and
systems goals, fulfill end-user requirements, and identify existing or potential issues.
• Prepare and deliver reports, recommendations, or alternatives that address existing and
potential trouble areas in IT systems and projects across the organization.
• Collaborate with software/systems personnel in application testing, such as system, unit,
regression, load, and acceptance testing methods.
• Make recommendations for improvement of applications to programmers and software
developers or engineers.
• Communicate test progress, test results, and other relevant information to project
stakeholders and management.
• Liaise with vendors and suppliers in assessing applications and/or systems under
consideration for purchase.
• Analyze documentation and technical specifications of any new application under
deployment or consideration to determine its intended functionality.
• Test any new software to ensure integration into company systems meets functional
requirements, system compliance, and technical specifications.
• Analyze formal test results in order to discover and report any defects, bugs, errors,
configuration issues, and interoperability flaws.
• Assist in the development of change control processes, practices, and guidelines for new
and existing technologies.
• Participate in developing, distributing, and coordinating in-depth end-user reviews for
modified and new systems or applications.
• Cultivate and disseminate knowledge of quality assurance best practices.
• Provide end user training on new and or updated software implementation as needed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL
• 2 years direct experience as a lead tester for major application integration and/or major
application product release.
• Strong knowledge of system testing best practices and methodologies.
• Extensive experience with core software applications, such as ERP and Document
• Direct hands-on experience with ad hoc query programs, automated testing tools, and
• Extensive practical knowledge in importing data for use in report software, spreadsheets,
graphs, and flow charts.
• Proven data analysis, data verification, and problem-solving abilities.
• Experience with statistical reporting and analysis.
• Excellent PC skills and technically fluent in programming languages.
• Good project management skills and/or substantial exposure to project-based work
• Excellent understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Excellent listening, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
• Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Keen attention to detail.
• Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
A valid Colorado driver’s license and fingerprinting must be on file. Pre-employment testing
includes an acceptable current motor vehicle report, background check, and polygraph exam.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Business or Computer Information Systems or related fields is desirable.
Six (6) to seven (7) years quality assurance experience in an information systems environment or
related fields or any equivalent combination of education and experience that satisfy the
requirements of the job.
Work in this position is characterized by working autonomously, originality in logical thinking,
decision-making abilities, good interpersonal skills, and effective capacity for giving and
receiving instruction and training. It requires considerable analysis of complex facts as well as
the ability to assimilate and develop applications for specific needs.
SCOPE OF INTERPERSONAL CONTACTS
Contacts are multilevel, including Elected Officials, Upper Management, superiors, fellow
workers, customers, and vendor’s representatives. Information given and received is highly
technical in nature. Contacts require the ability to exercise a considerable degree of interpersonal
skills. Incumbent is accountable for the results of the contact.
Work is generally confined to a standard office environment. Incumbent may be required to be
on call occasionally to respond to emergency situations or for go-live of a project.
The following are some of the physical demands commonly associated with this position.
• Spends 50% of the time sitting and 50% either standing or walking.
• Occasionally lifts, carries, pushes, or pulls up to 25 lbs.
• Occasionally stoops, kneels, crouches, climbs, balances, crawls, and reaches while
performing office duties.
• Oral and auditory capacity enabling interpersonal communication as well as communication
thorough automated devices such as the telephone.
• Constant use of eye, hand, and finger coordination enabling the use of automated office
• Visual capacity enabling frequent use of computer equipment.
Occasionally: Activity exists less than 1/3 of the time.
Frequently: Activity exists between 1/3 and 2/3 of the time.
Constantly: Activity exists more than 2/3 of the time.