UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA
AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
Staff Personnel Unit
UC DAVIS PAYROLL TITLE: Analyst I
SALARY RANGE: $36,108.00 - $61,380.00/YEAR 100% FIXED CONTRACT
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
100% Contract position beginning approx 6/1/2011 and ending 2 years from date of hire.
Under general supervision from the Executive Director for Staff Personnel (SPU), provide analytical and
advisory support; provide support for staff personnel classification and reclassification; user support for the
web-based Position Classification/Applicant Tracking system (People Admin/CATS). Review and approve staff
personnel recruitment and hiring. Process layoffs and separations.
Position will provide analytical and advisory support to the Staff Personnel Unit as well as 58 county offices,
four colleges, 15 statewide and special programs offices, and 11 research and extension centers located
throughout the State of California.
Position will support the University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources (UC ANR) Staff Personnel
Unit during an anticipated period of extra workload due to the creation/organization of the UCCE Multi-County
The Analyst I contract positions will process the SPU workload while current employees recieve a stipend to
complete the Multi County Partnership projects.
The UC ANR Staff Personnel Unit (SPU) has overall responsibility for the leadership, management and
administration of ANR division-wide staff personnel actions. The SPU oversees compensation, recruitment,
classification, employment, employee relations, benefits, advancement and retention of staff in multiple
disciplines and multiple locations for all UC Cooperative Extension County-based offices and other non-campus
30 % CLASSIFICATION
- Classify and submit for classification positions within the Division (limited to review of all entry level positions,
and previously classified positions). Determine eligibility for limited term appointments.
- Collect Organization Charts for classification, and send to Analyst III.
- Consult with the Analyst III's for clarification or assistance.
- Guide / train clientele to enter positions into CATS/People Admin.
30% RECRIUTMENT and HIRING
- Review requisition requests, coordinate with county on hire date and salary requests. Post positions in
CATS/People Admin and send posting information to County contact and ANR web contact. Process
- Review staff applicant list prior to Affirmative Action approval.
- Prepare personnel employment forms (i.e. SPR) and send to county contacts for new hires. Review new hire
for probationary period end date and paperwork completion.
20 % LAYOFF AND LEAVE ADMINSTRATION
- Coordinate requests, review, and process leaves of absence including FML, disability and workers
- Review personnel/benefits/payroll implications and determine course(s) of action.
- Provide county contact with paperwork and documentation to send to impacted employee.
- Prepare seniority points for Layoff's. Update SPU excel layoff activity spreadsheet
20% CONSULTING / OUTREACH / COMMUNICATION
- Provide clientele with links/copies of checklists for training purposes.
- Communicate with the BOC on a wide variety of issues and process: approvals for payroll entry and other
issues; discrepancies in appointment percentage; questions on FMLA leave status; catastrophic leave
questions/collection; collection/dissemination of paperwork; appointment extension or end date questions;
- Respond to basic information requests, forward requests on to Administrative Liaison for tracking and/or
Analyst III for any high level analysis required.
- Analyze, review, or respond to inquiries and requests for information, formulating responses or direct to
appropriate human resources staff consultant for follow up or action.
- Sit and use keyboard/mouse to work on computer for extended periods of time.
- Lift office supplies/boxes of files weighing up to 20 lbs.
- This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon
successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity check.
- Experience with human resources processes, systems, and personnel administration.
- Experience classifying position descriptions and completing recruitments.
- Experience establishing goals and priorities, organizing, tracking and coordinating multiple projects and
- Analytical and problem solving skills to research information and/or situations to forecast impact of potential
action or need for follow up.
- Computer skills using Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook to prepare correspondence and presentations and
track information, email and electronic calendaring.
- Experience working with and interpreting UC policy, procedure, and labor contracts.
- Experience with UC Personnel/Payroll Systems (PPS), CATS and People Admin.
- Oral and written communication skills including customer service.
- Skills to edit and proofread.
- Administrative experience in a University setting.
- Skills to focus on key issues, research and consider/ recommend reasonable alternatives.
- Skills to analyze situations, handle sensitive/difficult situations, and maintain confidentiality.
- Skill to research, seek and/or request information.
- Knowledge of University personnel policies, procedures and bargaining agreements as well as the UCOP
- Read and Follow UC Principles of Community.
-This position will promote, in all ways consistent with other responsibilities of the position, the affirmative
action goals established by the Division and the University as a contractor of the federal government. The
position will also take all measures necessary to assure that any employee or volunteers supervised by this
position fulfill their affirmative action responsibilities.
- Coordinate with Analyst IIIs on all projects and actions.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Complete work in a timely manner with frequent interruptions.
- Pay attention to detail to verify work thoroughly to ensure accurate/error free work.
- Review position classification requests and guide department supervises to accurately reflect assigned job
duties for new and existing clerical and professional positions within the appropriate level.
For further information and to apply for this job, please visit the following weblink:
www.employment.ucdavis.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=58975 on requisition #03005253
(If the link does not respond, please copy and paste into your browser)