FRIARY GRANGE LEISURE CENTRE
JOB TITLE: RECREATION ASSISTANT
RESPONSIBLE TO: Senior Recreation Assistant, Duty Officers, Deputy and Area Manager
RESPONSBLE FOR: ------
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
1. To act as a recreation assistant on a shift basis, with responsibility to the Duty Officers by
assisting them in efficient operation of the Leisure Centre complex. A high emphasis of the post
is ensuring the cleanliness, hygiene and safety standards are maintained.
Summary of Duties:
1. Attending the poolside to provide constant supervision of the pool area, changing rooms, toilet
areas for lifesaving and safety purposes.
2. To undertake general cleaning duties and ensure that all facilities by regular inspection are
maintained to a high standard of cleanliness.
3. To assist in ensuring safe and controlled use of all facilities by the Leisure Centre users.
4. To assist in a first aid service to the users.
5. To develop and maintain good public relations with al users of the centre offering advice and
assistance where necessary.
6. To assist where appropriate, the delivery/removal of supplies and equipment and store the
7. To assist when duties permit with holiday time activities.
8. Setting up and dismantling of equipment for sporting or non sporting events whether it be indoor
or for outdoor activities.
9. To conform to and be aware of the Health and Safety at Work Act as it relates to Friary Grange
10. To perform any other duties as may be deemed necessary by the Manager for the smooth
running of the Centre.
11. Possess RLSS NPLQ or successfully undertake within 6 months of commencement. The
training will be funded by the Leisure Centre for the successful candidate.
12. Develop and maintain good public relations with all users of the centre, offering advice and
assistance where necessary.
13. Comply with all relevant legislation within the industry.
14. To maintain a high standard of personal efficiency, dress (uniform provided) and personal
15. Conform to and be fully aware of the Health and Safety at Work Act as it relates to Friary
Grange Leisure Centre.
16. To report any faults or maintenance issues to senior employees/employers.
17. Ensure the cleaning schedule is completed fully on a daily basis.
18. To understand the facility normal operating procedures and emergency action plans.
19. To fill in incident and accident forms when required.
20. Such other related duties as may be required from time to time.
21. To be aware of your responsibilities under the Data Quality Procedure and give due regard to
the quality of data that you use in your role.
22. The council reserves the right to vary the content of the job description, after consultation, to
reflect the changes to the job without changing the general character of the post or level of
Post : Recreation Assistant
Section : Friary Grange Leisure Centre
Experience Pool Plant
Has worked in a multi-use Leisure
Has had at least 6 months
Qualifications RLSS National Pool Lifeguard First Aid at Work Qualification
Qualification or equivalent or
successfully achieve within 6 Pool Plant Qualification
months of appointment
Governing Body Coaching
qualifications e.g. ASA Teachers
Training Can show evidence of ongoing HASAW:
vocational training COSHH Regulations
Particular Skills and I.T Competent in use of Microsoft
Abilities Excel & Word
Good verbal & written skills
Ability to work on own initiative
Other Factors Flexibility in working rota Reception and cash handling skills
patterns inc. evenings,
weekends and Bank Holidays
FULL TIME RECREATION ASSISTANT
3 WEEK ROTA
37 HOURS PER WEEK
DAY WEEK 1 WEEK 2 WEEK 3
Monday 0615 -1415 OFF 1415 – 2230
Tuesday 0615 -1415 OFF 1415 – 2230
Wednesday 0615 – 1400 1400 - 2230 OFF
Thursday 0615 – 1400 1400 - 2230 OFF
Friday 0615 – 1415 1400 - 2230 1200 – 1900
Saturday OFF 1530 -2230 0715 - 1530
Sunday OFF 1530 -2230 0745 - 1530
Total 37 37 37