THE NEPHITE WARRIORS Brother Samuel Roskelley, recorder of the by stevenTerrell


									                                  THE NEPHITE WARRIORS

         Brother Samuel Roskelley, recorder of the temple, relates that in early days the United
States Marshals were making lots of trouble for the Mormons, and were conducting "polygamy
raids" to pick up the men who had more than one wife.
         Two deputy marshals arrived at the temple door one day to find it locked so they could
not gain entrance. Brother Roskelley went out to talk with them. They were told that there were
no records available to show them. Brother Roskelley told them good-bye and locked the door.
The lawmen knew that polygamous marriages were being performed and did not like being
denied access to the records. They immediately wired for help, and the next day the head of
United States Marshal for Utah, and a whole posse of deputies arrived. This time they demanded,
in the name of the United States Government, that the records be given to them. They were again
told that no records were available. The marshal then said: "We know you are doing polygamous
marriages and that these records are available. We know you have them, and we are going to
have them. We will burn the temple door down or even destroy it entirely but what you comply
with our request." The Recorder told them good-bye and locked the door on them again.
         Brother Roskelley was very worried and spent the next eight or ten hours in constant
prayer, asking the Lord to help him preserve the records, that no harm should come to him or to
the people concerned, and that the temple records should not fall into the hands of the United
States Marshals. He went out under cover of darkness to visit one of his families in the Seventh
Ward area. He was up well before daybreak the next morning, dressed in his oldest clothes, put a
corn cob pipe in his mouth, an axe on his shoulder as if he were going to the canyon to work, and
walked up the middle of the road whistling a happy tune. As he walked towards the temple and
crossed a bridge, two men stepped out to stop him. He immediately struck a match to light his
pipe, which had nothing in it, and said "Good Morning" and walked on past the men. Evidently
they supposed he was not a Mormon polygamist, but just a woodcutter going to the canyon.
         When Brother Roskelley reached the front door of the temple, there stood two giant men
dressed in complete armor, with head dress, breast plate, spears and full regalia. They gave him a
friendly nod as he passed, unlocked the door and entered the temple. As he neared his office,
there stood two more large men dressed in full armor. And as he went to the record vaults on the
third floor, he came to two other huge men, both dressed in full armor.
         As soon as he was sure the records were safe, he asked who they were. They told him:
"We are Nephite Warriors, and we are here to answer to your prayers." They then told him not to
worry, that they would not allow the temple to be injured or the records to be destroyed in any
         When Brother Roskelley related the incident to President Taylor, he was told that they
were, indeed, Nephite soldiers, and that this was not the first time they had been assigned to
protect the temple and its people (Nolan P. Olsen, Logan Temple: The First 100 Years, pp. 171-

To top