Chapter I: West Tennessee Normal School, 1912 to 1925
In this early plan, we see something of the intended layout for the campus. The ultimate function of the
school has been a source of contention between interested parties at the state and local levels from its
earliest days. While supporters in state government envisioned the University as one of three small
regional teacher training schools, local supporters hoped that the Normal School might blossom into a
major regional University. (Photograph courtesy of the Mississippi Valley Collection, U of M Library)
Lillian Johnson, an early supporter of the University, was in charge of local fundraising from Memphians
to help locate the Normal School in Memphis. She was one of the first individuals to suggest publicly
that Memphis should have its own University and it was a long held dream of her father’s who was also
a local educator. Johnson held a Ph.D. from Columbia University and had worked as an educator for
some time when the Normal School campaign was being conducted. Although she was integral to the
campaign and a logical choice to the be the University’s President, she was passed over in favor of
President Brister who was better connected to the State Board of Education that controlled decisions
about faculty for the school. (Photograph courtesy of Dr. Sherry Herbers)
This letter was sent from the Board of Public Instruction to the organizers of the Memphis Campaign for
the Normal School authorizing them to establish WTNS in May 1910. The West TN Normal School was
awarded to Memphis after a fierce competition with Jackson and Brownsville. (MVC)
The campus’s original 80 acre site was part of an old cotton plantation. This photo features the dead
stalks from the cotton plants that were growing there only a short time before the administration
building and Mynders Hall were constructed. (MVC)
The President’s House was one of three original structures on campus, including the Administration
building and Mynders Hall.It was located at roughly the same place that ? Hall stands today. (MVC)
Jones Hall, which houses the Tiger Den today, was the school’s first cafeteria. It was constructed in 1922
to meet the growing needs of the student body. For the first ten years of the school’s existence,
students who lived on campus dined in a section of the first floor of Mynders Hall. (MVC)
The cafeteria served 3 meals a day, except on Sundays when a large lunch was offered slightly later than
normal to encourage church attendance. A bag supper was provided for dinner so the staff, many of
whom were students working their way through school, could have a night off. (MVC)
West Tennessee State Normal School faculty, 1916 and 1917. In the center, President John Willard Brister
(1913-1918 and 1924-1939). The twenty-five faculty members were graduates of leading colleges and
universities including Columbia, Harvard, Yale, University of Chicago, Vassar, Vanderbilt, George
Peabody, and the University of Tennessee. They brought a wealth of teaching experience in all grades
and in rural and urban school systems. WTSN offered courses in a wide range of subject areas including
Education, Mathematics, History, English, Latin, Home Economics, Manual Training, Drawing and
Writing, Public Speaking, and Music. (MVC)
Although Memphis supporters had worked hard to win the Normal School for the city, the building
project was largely neglected until the arrival of the University’s first president, Seymour A. Mynders.
Mynders oversaw the construction of the school’s original buildings and the hiring of the faculty.
Although he was relatively young, he was in poor health and he died rather suddenly just one year into
his tenure as President of the University. (MVC)
Mrs. Pobricita “Mother” Mynders came to Memphis in 1911 with her husband, the University’s first
President. Unfortunately, her first several years in Memphis were marked by the tragic early deaths of
her daughter, Elizabeth and her husband. She remained attached to the University for many years
following her husband’s death. She served as the school’s librarian through the 1930’s and was also the
faculty sponsor of the Seymour Mynders Fraternity and its sister organization, Sigma Alpha Mu. “Mother
Mynders” was beloved of many early students for the active role she took in mentoring students and
supporting the school’s social organizations as well. (MVC)
Elizabeth Mynders Fritts was the daughter of President Seymour and Mrs. Pobricita Mynders.. Elizabeth
married shortly before her parents came to Memphis to help establish WTNS and she died tragically 4
months after her marriage. Although she never lived on the campus, her parents had the first women’s
dorm on campus named Elizabeth Mynders Hall in her honor. A portrait of her has hung in the building
for most of its existence and campus legend has it that Elizabeth’s ghost has haunted the building for
many years. (MVC)
Many of the University’s early graduates were women because its exclusive function was to train
teachers for public school service. The students were required to sign a pledge that they would teach in
public schools for at least as many years as they received state funded education from the Normal
School. This pledge hindered the capacity of the University to expand its enrollment and its programs
until it was removed by the State Legislature in the fall of 1939. (MVC)
Early classes at West Tennessee Normal each had their own slogan, flower and colors. This is the junior
class of 1916. Since the Normal School offered 4 years of high school and 2 years of college coursework,
this would have been the freshman class in the teacher certification program. Their class motto ‘facto
non verbo’ translates ‘by deed, not word’. Their class colors were royal purple and gold and the class
flower was the violet. (MVC)
In its earliest years, the school primarily provided high school level course work to public school teachers
from around West Tennessee. While there was a regular enrollment in the fall and spring semesters, the
summer term typically had the largest enrollments. This was because most of the early students were
already employed as teachers and they were busy teaching elementary school during the regular terms.
They could afford to come to Memphis and take their teacher certification coursework during the
summer time. (MVC)
Early women students pose on the administration building steps. (MVC)
Students in this early physics lab are studying electricity and the properties of circuits. (MVC)
When the Normal School first opened in 1912, and up until the building of Manning Hall, all classes met
in the administration building. This early chemistry lab was most likely supervised by Hanor A. Webb, a
young professor at the school. (MVC)
At the point that the Normal School came into existence, teachers in the state were required to have an
8th grade education and be able to read roughly ¾ of the main reading primer that was used in public
schools. The State Board of Education raised the requirement for teacher qualifications in 1910 to a high
school diploma and a teaching certificate. WTNS was one of three regional normal school’s in Tennessee
that was created to enable public school teachers to complete high school and earn a teaching
certificate. For its first 40 years, the University added courses and departments primarily to meet the
increased requirements for teacher training statewide. (MVC)
The first issue of the WTNS yearbook, the DeSoto was released in 1916. The yearbook was named in
honor of the famous epic poem DeSoto composed by Walter Malone, a prominent lawyer and local
judge who died the year the first issue was being compiled. Interestingly, the first copy of the DeSoto
was printed in gold ink, instead of the standard blue ink. This was because all blue ink at the time
originated in Germany and the U.S. was fighting Germany in WWI at the time of publication. This
photograph of the first staff of DeSoto appeared in the 1916 year book. The first editor in chief was
Signa Crichfield, pictured at center left, was a senior involved in many campus activities, including
singing first alto in the Girls’ Glee Club. (MVC)
The first Student Government Association of the Normal School, established in 1917. It was an all female
council because their job was to police their fellow female students in Mynders Hall. Prior to its
establishment, girls frequently had to stay after chapel in order to deal with rule violations which were
arbitrated by the faculty. (MVC)
The “County Clubs” was an initiative started by President Brister to try and connect students with alums
and also to encourage students to do outreach to their communities on behalf of the Normal School. He
sent students into their communities to find out what the people in the area wanted in terms of
programming from the University. The overall strategy was to build relationships between the
population of West TN and the Normal School students and faculty so that they would lobby the
Legislature on behalf of the school and fight to keep it funded in lean times in the same way that
residents of East TN did for UT Knoxville.
Frequently, during the summer sessions, students would use the trolleys that ran from the University’s
edge to downtown. This early group of picnicking girls were lucky to have male companions, since it was
University policy for some time to not allow female students to go off campus unchaperoned. In fact,
female students were not even allowed to go ‘to the more remote areas of campus’ alone. While this
was almost assuredly done to make certain that students were not misbehaving, it was also an
important technique for reassuring the girls’ parents that their children were safe going to school in the
Popular History Professor Hubert Dennison (c) socializes with his students between classes in the
administration building. (MVC)
These are early photos of the Girls’ Glee Club and Men’s Chorus from 1916. They were under the
direction of Mr. L.C. Austin and frequently provided entertainment for campus functions, including
Sigma Alpha Mu Sorority photo on the steps of the admin building; colors are crimson and gold, flower is
the daisy, motto: "Honor Waits at Labor's Door". They had 76 members in 1916. Sigma Alpha Mu was
one of the 3 original social clubs organized on campus and it was the first one exclusively for co-eds.
This is the Seymour A. Mynders Club. Their motto was "Nil Nissi Bonum" which translates „Speak no ill of
the dead‟. The motto can also be translated simply „Speak no evil‟, however since they were formed, in
part, to honor the memory of the University‟s first president, they probably meant it as „Speak no ill of the
dead‟. Their colors were green and white; they had 31 members that year. SAM, as it was known on
campus, was formed to honor the memory of the school‟s first President, Seymour A. Mynders, hence the
reason they banner prominently features a skull and crossbones. (MVC)
This is the Normal School band and orchestra. The orchestra was photographed in the main hall of the
Administration Building. Both groups were lead by Mr. L.C. Austin. His wife, pictured in the photo of the
orchestra sitting at the piano, was the accompanist for all music groups on campus and also taught voice
Mr. L.C. Austin conducts the Normal School Orchestra. Posing in the main hall of the admin building in
Debating was a popular social activity on campus in its early years. The Forum Debating Society, along
with their sister organization, Kappa Lambda Sigma, was originally part of a literary society called the
Claxtonian Literary Society. The society was named for Priestly Philander Claxton, the educator who
spearheaded the campaign to create the Normal Schools. The Forum Debating Society changed their
name to Phi Lambda Delta in the early 20’s. (MVC)
Kappa Lambda Sigma membership from 1917. They were the sister organization of the Forum Debating
Society. Their sorority yell was “Rah, rah rega! Kappa Lambda Sigma! Hip, hurrah, hip, hurrah! Three
cheers for Kappa Lambda’s, Rah, rah, rah! The trophy displayed in front of their banner is the Debate
Tournament trophy that they had won in competition with the other 3 social clubs on campus that year.
Earnest Ball and Julian Jones, two members of the Senior Class at the Normal School in 1915 pose in this
photo. Little is known of their time at the Normal, but Julian Jones went on to serve in WWI aboard the
USS Leviathan. He was originally from Sardis, TN in Henderson County. (MVC)
Many students on campus participated in plays, musicals and operas in the Normal School years. In spite
of the fact that the school’s major function was teacher training, the organization was not particularly
close to many of the musical venues, etc in the city of Memphis. Additionally, many of the students were
on limited budgets and so there was a drive within the Normal School community to provide
entertainment for the campus and residents of the surrounding community of Normal Station. (MVC)
Although the University did not originally have a mascot, the sports teams were frequently referred to
as the Teachers by local newspapers. Students on campus began calling the sports teams the Tigers
because they felt the students athletes fought like tigers in sports. Interestingly, the women’s basketball
teams were the first teams to be referred to as the Tigers. (MVC)
1921 – 1922: Women‟s basketball girls in bloomers; Elsie Pittman, guard; 7. Thelma Ramsey, S. center;
8. Alice Dorsey, forward; 9. Louise Verdel, center; 10. Ruth Landstrette. Thelma Ramsey, center,
pictured here as #7, was elected the school‟s first yearbook „sponsor‟ which was functionally like being
named the first Miss Memphis. She was a very popular freshman from Memphis who was affiliated with
the Normal School for better than a decade. She attended high school there and then entered the teacher
training program. After graduation, she was then employed by the Training School as a 5 grade teacher
for several years, during which time she went back and finished her B.S. at the school once it began to
offer 4 year degrees. While she was teaching at the Training School, she also married a former student
and then professor in the English Department, Dr. Denver Baugham. (MVC)
Boom-a-lacka, boom-a-lacka, bow, wow, wow; Chick-a-lacka, chick-a-lacka, chow, chow, chow; Boom-a-
lacka, chick-a-lacka, and that’s not all ---We’ll show you how to play basketball! The nearly undefeated
1920-1921 Lady Tigresses started every game with this cheer and had a 15 and 1 season, their best in
school history to that point. The players from LtoR are: Inez Lovelace; Willie Deverell; Bernice Harris;
Anibel Yancey; Camilla Mae Evans; Lee Brown; Eva Briggs; Velma Jones and Coach Teuton. In addition to
being student athletes, all the girls were active in other student organizations including social clubs
(forerunners to sororities) and were on the honor roll as well. (MVC)
1923 – 1924 Women's basketball Memphis champs:6. Thelma Ramsey, side center; 7. Mary Yancey,
guard; 8. Mabel Mitchell, forward; 9. Conway Austin, forward; 10. Ruth Landstreet, manager and guard
1924 – 1925 Basketball (BNB on uniforms) LtoR: Hollis Fletcher, Boswell Hale, Duke Howze, Marion
Davis, Rufus Crenshaw, Carlos Park, Fulford Tyson, Zach Curlin (coach) (MVC)
1918-1919 Men’s Football Squad
1915-1916 West Tennessee State Normal School Baseball Team (12 men on steps): (id'd in DeSoto
1916, pg. 79): Back row: McIlwaine, Rogers, George, Turpin, Aycock, Washburn (team manager); Front
row: Coach Wilson, Keaton, Hanley (Captain), Davis, Reaves, and Collins
Men‟s Baseball 1922-23 (stripped uniforms) Top row: Barnard, coach; Neal, cf; Tracey, lf; Hegwer, lb; D.
Thorn, capt. Lb; Brasher, rf; Hatcher, Mgr.; Second row: Surrency, ss; McLean, lf; Barnhill, cf; Duncan 2b;
Childs, rf; Aycock, c.; Botton Row: Van Dyke, 2b; Glascock, 3b; Allen, ss; G. Thorn, c; Cawthorne, 3b;
Although the Normal School selected colors early on, blue and grey to symbolize the union of North and
South after the Civil War, the school had no official mascot until the 1960’s. The sports teams were
often called the “Normals” hence the reason that they have large “N’s” on their uniforms. The team
would have included both high school and college age students since the Normal School provided high
school educations as well as 2 year teaching degrees. The normal school sports teams only played local
high school teams until ~ 1925. (MVC)
1915 – 1916 Men's Track Team: (ID'd in DeSoto 1916, p.82): Back row: Lea, Manager; White, Lane,
Sorsby, Allen; Wilson (Coach); Front: Bird, Parrott, McCarter, Hardy, Thurman (Captain), Hay, Hanley,
Hayes & Turpin
1924 photo of the campus. By the time West Tennessee Normal School became West Tennessee State
Teacher’s College in 1925, the campus had grown and the student body changed considerably. The high
school courses were gradually eliminated and the majority of the student body had begun attending in
the regular term instead of the summer. Additionally, the campus also had a dining hall and a men’s
dorm by the time the school transitioned to a 4 year bachelor’s degree granting institution. (MVC)
Chapter 2: West Tennessee State Teacher’s College, 1925 to 1941
Posting a notice to students about which college letters they can wear on campus. West Tennessee
Normal School became West Tennessee State Teacher’s College in 1925. The name change marked the
transition of the school from offering high school and early college course work to only offering four
years of college coursework. The changed offerings were reflective of increased teacher certification
standards as well as a push from President Brister to broaden the school’s offerings. Aside from the
shifts in the school’s curriculum, the period was also marked by President Brister’s attempts to create a
more regional identity for the school and move it away from its earlier roots as a state-run organization,
hence the demands for students to wear WSTC letters and for athletes to wear the “T” instead of the
older “N” from the Normal school days.
One of the more singular trends in the School’s early history was for professors to come to the school at
an early age and be affiliated with the organization for several decades. Dr. J Millard Smith first came to
the college to run the school’s men’s dormitory. He worked in various capacities over several decades,
including a stint as Principal of the Training School before becoming the University’s President. Dr. Nellie
Angel Smith served as professor of Latin and the Dean of Women for more than 40 years before her
retirement. Professors Mary Dunn and Flora Rawls also served as teachers and in various administrative
capacities in the College and the Training School over the course of multi-decade careers at WTSTC.
Photo montage of Smith Hall, Smith Dorm, Rawls Hall and Dunn Hall. During the 1960s the University
went through a period of explosive growth in enrollment. Many new classroom and dormitory buildings
were erected and the University’s administration chose to honor long time professors and colleagues by
naming the new campus buildings after them.
P36 – P37, #047
Double page photo of campus, 1947 aerial
The College lacked a library facility until the late 1920s. The school was generally underfunded and so a
small library was maintained in the Administrative building. Students and faculty also traveled
downtown and used the library facilities of the Goodwyn Institute. In this photo, we see students hard
at work in the main reading room of the new Brister Library.
Brister Library was originally named for John Willard Brister Jr. John Brister Jr. died unexpectedly after a
short illness at age 15. He largely grew up on the campus and was well known and loved by the student
body. The new library building was temporarily named in his honor as it was completed shortly after his
death. The building was permanently named for his father after Brister Sr.’s long term service to the
University ended in his death.
Scates Hall served as the first men’s dorm on campus and was constructed in 1935. Prior to that, male
students had lived on the fourth floor of the administration building, with local families, and in a set of
apartments called the Prescott Flats at the corner of Southern and Walker and the two story frame
house that stood next door. The University rented these facilities from 1912 until Prescott Flats burned
down in the late 1920s.
Although Mynders Hall was originally constructed a girl’s dorm, it also housed male students over the
years to meet changing demands for housing. The first time Mynders ever housed men was during
World War I. The University briefly hosted an Army officer training program toward the end of the war
and the cadets were housed in the top floor of Mynders. The administration constructed a staircase over
the porch so that male residents could come and go to their rooms on the third floor without disturbing
the co-eds living on the first and second floors.
In order to minimize the state’s public expenses for maintaining WTSTC, early Presidents Kincannon and
Brister tried to have the school be as self-sustaining as possible. Since there was a regional interest in
Agriculture, the school kept a dairy herd and chickens. The livestock were not only teaching tools for the
agriculture department, they also produced milk, cheese and eggs that were fed to students eating in
The university had its own electricity plant and water tower from its inception until the mid-20’s. Normal
Station was remote enough from the city of Memphis that the city’s water services did not reach the
University. It also did not reach many of the University’s early neighbors and consequently the school
provided water to many of the neighborhood’s residents and businesses, including a golf course. (MVC)
Manning Hall, the home of the science departments on campus. Priestly Hartwell Manning was a
bachelor Physics and Geography professor until his death in the late 1920’s. He was actively involved in
providing faculty sponsorship to student groups from Gibson County and its surrounding areas. Upon his
death, he established one of the University’s first scholarship funds by donating the bulk of his estate,
which was quite large for a man who had spent his life teaching at a small state Normal school. He
stipulated that the scholarships were only to be given to male students from one of five rural counties in
West TN and that under no circumstances, should the money ever be used to fund the educations of
male athletes. (MVC)
The 1937 issue of the DeSoto was dedicated to Dr. Grover Hayden, a chemistry and physics professor at
the University. Hayden was the long time friend and colleague of Priestly Hartwell Manning and after
Manning’s death, Hayden was named the executor of his late friend’s estate which involved
guaranteeing that Manning’s scholarship fund was set up and administrated properly. (MVC)
A 1929 photo of the Training School, later known as Campus School. It was built with a joint grant from
the City of Memphis and Shelby County. Originally, the University conducted the Training School using
classroom space at nearby Messick High School and x years in, they moved the Training School classes to
the Administration building. The training school’s enrollment was steadily expanding through the 20’s
and as the enrollment expanded, the College added grades to the school. Their expanded need for
classroom space led to the construction of the first campus school building. (MVC)
1929 photo of the school’s gym
1927 – 1928 women’s basketball team
1928, Ellen Baird was named the school’s free throw champion for the second consecutive year at
WTSTC’s annual field day. The Field Day celebration was designed to introduce high school students
from the region to the College so that they could understand the kind of education they could obtain
1937 Girls Intramural Tumbling Team. The budget for the University was very tight throughout the 30’s
and the University functionally eliminated women’s sports teams. In their place, multiple intramural
sports cropped up, with tumbling/gymnastics becoming a popular option.
1938, girl archers practicing their skills behind the gym. The student body engaged in a wide variety of
P.E. activities through the period thanks to the innovativeness of the long term women’s P.E. coach,
Blackman. Other activities included calisthenics and table tennis.
1926 Men‟s football leather helmets: top row: Coach Curlin; Walker, Sturgis, Koch, Evans, Stephenson,
Hines, Rochelle, Shore, Manager Fletcher, Assistant Coach McLaughlin; second row - Dowdy, Robinson,
Burdison, Green, Graham, Packard, Capt. Jones, Johnson, Smith; Bottom row - Hewlett, Fulghum, Clifft,
Baker, Gullett, Williams, McCarley, Fisher and Dillard
Three photos of football cheerleaders
1932 Men’s baseball team
1929_1930 Men’s Basketball Team: (Evans, Jones, Detchon, Gullett, Dodds, Thompson, Howell, Miska,
Moore, Pandolfi, and Coach Zach Curlin with dog)
The coaching staff for men’s sports teams at the University. From left to right are Coach ____ the
freshman football coach; Coach Zach Curlin, basketball coach; Coach Allen McKeen, head football coach;
and a newly recruited Coach CC Humphreys, line coach for the football team. CC Humphreys came to
the WTSTC that fall from UT Knoxville to work on a master’s in history. His assistantship for the school
was to work as a line coach.
Coach Allyn McKeen attends to one of his players in the locker room during a football game in the 1938
1928 The College Orchestra, pictured here in the central foyer of the administration building
Maurice Haste organized the Memphonians, West Tennessee State Teacher’s College’s first jazz band in
September 1927. ‘All important social functions of the college found this orchestra furnishing their
1928 the Latin Club, led by Dr. Nellie Angel Smith, picture at the center of the bottom row of the group
The schools 1st Spanish club, Los Picaroes Espanoles or "the Spanish Rascals" was formed in 1927;
they were interested in trying to get the Spanish program upgraded to a 4 year program so that they could
promote instruction in Spanish language in secondary schools. Twenty two members were enrolled the
Montage of photos from teacher training classes conducted at the Training School
Association of Childhood Educators from 1931
The College Chorus
Magistri Bibendi, otherwise known as the “The Drinking ‘Teachers’” The school had several ‘societies’ in
the early years that were devoted to drinking, late night eating parties in the women’s dorms and the
like. The existence of the Drinking Teachers is especially amusing in 1931 since it was still illegal to buy
or consume alcoholic beverages in the U.S. much less on a state college campus.
1928 Kappa Lambda Sigma Candids
Kappa Lamda Sigma pledges ‘get their goat’ during Hell Week. Each fraternity and sorority on campus
had their own ‘hell week’ rituals. Although they changed some over time, in the20’s and 30’s, several
Greek orgs on campus had their pledges engage in activities like wrangling livestock on the steps of the
administration building because the school still had its own dairy herd and livestock as a part of the
agriculture program on campus.
Sigma Alpha Mu’s pledges ‘Lost their Sheep’ during Hell Week activities.
Three sorority sisters in costume
Seymour Mynders candids from Hell Week and the rest of the school year
1937, Xi Beta Nu Maids
1939, a fraternity pledge from Phi Lambda Delta pushes a penny across the administration bldg steps
with his nose while dressed in a toga. Several years later, Phi Lambda Delta pledges were still pushing
pennies but they did it in striped pajamas after their faces were ‘whitewashed’ with milk of magnesia.
Phi Lambda Animal Day
1935 Spring Graduation Processional. Academic procession dates from earliest medieval universities.
Revived in recent years by MSU is a symbol of unity with the past and a tribute to the nobility of the
profession of teaching and scholarship. At the head of the procession is Nellie Angel Smith, who was
dean of women and a Latin teacher at WTSTC.
The School’s Alma Mater was composed by President Brister. It is sung to the tune of “Lead on O King
Eternal”. The tune was first used at the Spring Graduation in May of 1927.
Chapter 3: Memphis State College, 1941 to 1957
Students gathered on the front steps of the administration building to celebrate the expansion of the
school’s curriculum to include bachelor’s degrees outside of Education, and the subsequent name
change to Memphis State College in 1941.
1947, aerial view of the campus. When student body 4500, Pres J. Millard Smith 80 acres, note
streetcar turn-around; president’s house (with 3 dormers) in the trees where Ellington now
Students studying in the main reading room of Brister Library.
Male students in the College’s NYA course work together planing lumber. The NYA or National Youth
Administration program began as a part of the Work Progress Administration in 1935. Its original
function was to train out of work high school graduates who were financially needy for productive labor.
With the onset of the 2nd World War, the program was transferred to the War Manpower Commission in
the Office of Emergency Management. The need based requirement was abolished and NYA centers
became War Production Training Centers. (Fugate, Tally D. “National Youth Administration,”
Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History & Culture. Oklahoma City: Oklahoma Historical Society, n.d.
These female students are working to assemble letter boxes in the NYA building on campus. They were
trained by the University in construction methods to help create furniture and other materials that were
used to set up offices for the military and for war industry.
The University contributed to the War effort in many different ways, but their primary activities involved
providing training for citizens going into war time industries. This training included broadening the
school’s science course offerings. These students are members of the University’s first science club, Phi
Two co-eds participate in a biology lab during a class in Manning Hall. Beginning in 1940, the school’s
first science club, Phi Beta Chi formed to promote excellence in science education on the campus. This
new emphasis came as the types of degrees available to MSC students diversified. In order to be a
member of Phi Beta Chi, a student had to have taken 21 quarter hours in one scientific field, 8 quarter
hours in a second scientific field and have maintained a B average.
“Enrolled at Memphis State are one hundred nurse cadets who are just beginning their training with the
Baptist and Methodist Hospitals…At the end of the summer term, 1945, seven hundred and one cadet
nurses had attended Memphis State preparatory to their nursing careers which are being promoted by
Memphis’s Baptist and Methodist Hospitals. The opening of school this Fall marks the beginning of the
sixth year in which students from the Methodist Hospital have attended classes at State.” This is the first
class of nurse cadets who were affiliated with Baptist Hospital.
“The ladies’ lounge on the third floor seemingly would make excellent headquarters (for a Red Cross
Unit led by sorority groups on campus), where students could stop in any hour of the day and work at
knitting, rolling bandages, or whatever is needed. If the Pan Council took the leadership, the Red Cross
would send a rep. out to the college to help with organization, and others on the campus might become
interested. Are any of us ‘too busy’ really? The question will remain open for further discussion or
action: ‘What are Memphis State College girls doing to help win the war?’”
The Civil Aeronautics Authority’s Pilot Training Program was based on a program begun in 1937, by
Memphis aviation pioneer Phoebe Fairgrave Omlie. Originally 10% of the slots in the Pilot Training
Program were reserved for female pilot trainees. When Tennessee’s program was incorporated into the
national Civilian Pilot Training Program the spots dedicated to women were eliminated. By the time the
program became the War Training Service in 1942, slots for women were eliminated because pilot
trainees were required to enlist in the war. In spite of the strictures placed on women’s participation in
the pilot training program, four women at WTSTC including Joy Jehl, Martha McKenzie, Agnes Walker
and Pauline Mixon completed pilot training through the federally funded program. The glider pilot in the
photo was a participant in the University’s CPTP program.
For the 1942-1943 year, Memphis State College played host to an Army Air Corps officer training
program. The program was not renewed for the next year after the College lost its SACS accreditation
because of the illegal firing of several tenured professors. The College finally gained a full time ROTC
program 8 years later in 1951.
Paula Sigler was selected as “One of the Girls We Fight for” by the officers of the Army Air Corps troop on
campus in 1943. The „Girls We Fight For‟ contest traditionally went under the name of the Miss Memphis
Student events on campus doubled as USO events thanks to the presence of the Army Air Corps cadets
living on campus. Many MSC co-eds also served as USO hostesses for events around the city.
The College‟s student population grew a small amount in 1945 as the first recipients of the GI bill began
to matriculate. The college also built its first married student housing behind the dining hall on the North
end of campus. Veterans Village was constructed of X Army surplus trailers that were donated to the
school at the end of the war.
This editorial cartoon and article appeared in a spring ’46 issue of the Tiger Rag. The GI’s were not all
smoothly incorporated into the student body. The article generally suggested that the friction seemed
to largely emerge because many of the GI’s were married and older than the traditional co-eds.
Therefore, they were not interested in the same types of activities and were not quickly incorporated
into the student body.
Veterans Village, located behind Jones Hall at the north end of campus, housed GI’s and their families
who were matriculating on campus at MSC after the war.
Women type up notes from Dictaphone recordings in a business class. The college had always provided
some practical training courses to students such as home economics and agriculture classes. These
classes evolved to training for industry during the 2nd World War and expanded as the College grew. The
ability to expand the school’s offerings after it officially became a liberal arts college in 1941 and the
requirement that graduates teach for the public schools for 4 years was dropped.
Although women on campus made strides in non-traditional arenas such as science and aviation during
the War, courses like home economics remained popular. Some of the school’s original supporters
wanted women to have the chance to take courses like home economics as part of their college training
so that they could be well prepared for the challenges of being housewives and mothers.
The Memphis 5 was the original group of African American students who attempted to desegregate the
College in 1954. Then President Smith did everything in his power to resist integrating the school. He
eventually was forced to capitulate by a Federal Court order that allowed the students to begin
matriculating in the fall of 1959. Smith resigned at the end of the term before the first African American
students arrived on campus.
The Memphis 5 talk in the main hall of the administration building in 1954. They are from L to R:
Mardest Knowles, Nellie Peoples, Joseph McGhee, Ruth Booker, Elijah Noel.
The new Memphis State fight flag was revealed in 1955 by then football coach Hatley (R) and a former
player. The flag was designed for the College by Commercial Appeal cartoonist Cal Alley.
Memphis State College formed its first marching band in 1940. Although there had been an orchestra, a
band and even a jazz group in earlier years, the Marching Band was designed to work hand in hand with
the cheerleaders to raise school spirit. The school was also engaging in a strategy to help members of
the Memphis community feel attachment to MSC as well. The Marching Band was part of this strategy.
In this scene, the Marching Band is performing in downtown Memphis. The tradition of having the
College’s actors and musicians perform in the community to raise community support for the school
continues up to the present.
Many of the school’s sports offerings were suspended during the War years, including the football team
which was not fielded between 1940 and 194? Men’s basketball resumed earlier in the period with the
influx of new male students after the War. Games were hosted in the Memorial Gym on campus and
were broadcast over local radio station, AM 560, WHBQ Sports 56. They still broadcast Memphis sports
Cheerleaders perform during a football game in the fall of 1940. The football team played its games at
Crump Stadium. In its earlier days on campus, cheerleading was not a female dominated sport and the
squads were typically pretty balanced, gender wise, in spite of the smaller number of male students on
Barbara Walker Hummel was the first University co-ed to win a national beauty contest. She was chosen
as Miss America 1947 after competing in the contest as Miss Memphis. Notably, she was the last
pageant winner who represented a city and not a state. She was also the last winner to be crowned in
her bathing suit. Note the World War II era bi-planes on the right hip of her swim suit bottoms. Barbara
was a regular contestant in University beauty pageants and was named “One of the Girls We Come
Home to” at MSC in 1945. She served her year as Miss America and then returned to MSC to complete
her degree and marry her fiancée, Dr. Vernon Hummel.
Barbara Walker is pictured here with then University President J.M. Smith who was declaring the day of
the event, Miss America Day in the city of Memphis.
Well before the outbreak of WW2, there was a strong emphasis at MSC on embracing patriotism along
with religious values and school pride. This blond co-ed, from 1941, is modeling an American flag
sweater in front of the Administration building.
Although the war severely reduced the number of students on campus, with enrollments dropped to
~250 at one point, social activities continued on a smaller scale in spite of the war. The mainly female
student body was still happy to participate in the many beauty contests on campus. These ladies were
the Homecoming Royalty from 1944.
Some of the smallest classes in the University’s history graduated in 1944 and 1945. The Army Air Corps
cadet program left campus after the 1943-44 school year and there were only a small handful of regular
students left at the school.
These are the officers for Ioka Wikewam, the Home Economics Club. The Club was very popular on
campus and one of their main functions was to cater luncheons and parties on campus for other social
groups. During the war they also offered a home nursing course and studied issues such as how to
prepare nutritious foods using ration points.
Women socialize in the re-modeled parlor of Mynders Hall in 1949.
1951, coeds socialize with their male guests in the parlor of Mynders Hall. Although the rules related to
socialization on campus had eased some from the earliest days, men were still only allowed to visit the
girls‟ dorm during limited hours. They were also restricted from wearing „bermuda shorts‟ when they
visited with girls in Mynders at this point as well. Co-eds were not allowed to wear pants or shorts
regularly on campus unless they were participating in athletic activities up into the early 1960‟s.
Students ride in a convertible during the homecoming parade around campus in 1941. MSC played
Southwestern, later Rhodes College, that year. All three of the men in the car are wearing Memphis State
College beanies. The beanies were sold to raise money for the football players to buy their textbooks and
all freshmen were required to purchase them.
A group of Phi Lambda Delta pledges perform in drag during Hell Week 1940. Cross dressing was a
typical activity for male pledges on campus.
Collage of photos of students participating in activities around campus
1955, the annual Sigma Alpha Epsilon ‘49’ers’ Party. Beginning in the 50’s the campus’s Greek system
began to incorporate national fraternities and sororities in place of the local Greek organizations that
had existed at the College for the previous 43 years. It was fairly typical for existing chapters of local
Greek organizations to become new chapters of national organizations.
The freshman class of 1951 are forced to learn the fight song in their beanies during orientation. The
beanies, which were sold in the Bursar’s office, cost 75 cents. Freshmen were required to wear their
beanies for the first 6 weeks of school. The typical challenge of an upper classmen to a freshman was,
“Freshman, square your beanie”. One of the other rules for freshmen, known collectively as the
“Freshmen Eight” was to obey all reasonable commands and requests from upper classmen.
Cars line the drive in front of Manning Hall in 1955. One of the larger lots on campus was immediately
east of Manning Hall and it provided parking to residents of Scates Hall. This lot was located where the
Alumni Mall and campus’ fountain are found today.
Male students socialize in front of the administration building ~ 1951
Copies of the Tiger Rag are printed by students on the University’s printing press in 1956.
Students socialize around the base of the columns on the porch of the Administration building.
Students process into the commencement ceremony held in the Gym in 1952.
Elvis Presley, Memphis deejay Dewey Phillips and DeSoto editor Judy Crainer all sign pledge cards asking
Gov. Clement to grant Memphis State University status. Another student, Charles Holmes convinced
Elvis to participate in the photo-op.
Cheering immediately following the announcement that Memphis State College had become Memphis
Chapter 4: Memphis State University, 1957 to 1994
President J.W. Smith, C.C. Humphreys and a group of students celebrate the creation of Memphis State
University by changing the sign at the southwestern edge of campus in July of 1957. The school’s
original supporters had hoped that the school would evolve into a University that would serve the mid-
South region. In pursuit of that goal, multiple University presidents worked to broaden the school’s
curriculum. The school began offering a Master’s in Education in cooperation with the University of
Tennessee ~ 1955. The initiation of graduate course offerings in conjunction with a campaign to
convince Tennessee’s governor to grant the College, University status, led to the name change in July of
The school’s Brister Library served the campus community throughout the Memphis State University
period. During this period, the library’s holdings increased and the Mississippi Valley Collection was
developed to house materials related to the University and the region’s history.
The library’s reading room continued to be a favored spot for studying on campus.
The University was eventually integrated by the Memphis State Eight in 1959. Former President Smith
successfully halted the initial efforts to integrate the school in 1954. However, the students and their
attorneys kept fighting for their right to receive an education from Memphis State. In this photo, the
Memphis State Eight meet with their attorneys during their protracted court battle in September of
The Memphis State Eight meet with the University’s registrar, R.M. Robeson, to enroll in courses for the
fall ’59 semester. The University’s president, C.C. Humphreys feared that integration at Memphis might
lead to the same kind of violent conflict that marked the integration of Ole Miss. Robeson and the
University’s bursar, Lamar Newport, were charged with making certain that Memphis State’s integration
would not be marred by violence towards the new black students. From L to R the students are:
Sammie Burnett, Ralph Prater, Luther McClellan, Eleanor Gandy, Bertha Mae Rogers, John Simpson,
Marvis Kneeland and Rosie Blakney.
September 1959, three white co-eds walk behind Rosie Blakney, Bertha Mae Rogers and Marvis
Kneeland who were integrating Memphis State that semester. While there were not formal outbreaks of
violence, the University’s administration took stringent action to contain the student body and minimize
the chances for violent encounters. Specifically, the black students were only allowed to take classes
during day light hours, and they were not allowed to live in the dorms or to use the school’s cafeteria
facilities. They were also only allowed to use one bathroom on campus. The eight integrating students
were also accompanied by police escorts while they were on campus and had to promptly leave once
their classes were over.
Luther McClellan was the first black graduate of Memphis State University. He completed his master’s
degree in education in May of 1962. Luther initially tried to gain admission to the University in 1954 as
part of the Memphis State Five. The NAACP attorneys who were seeking to integrate the University
chose Luther as one of the Memphis State Five because his WW2 era military service entitled him to a
publicly funded college education under the GI Bill.
John Meza, a graduate student in the art department, lifts the coffin from the mummified body of Ankh
Ptah-Hotep, as it arrived in September 1983, to come part of the permanent collection of the Memphis
State Institute of Egyptian Art and Archaeology. Established in 1975, the collection consists of a broad
range of Egyptian antiquities ranging in date from 3800 B.C.E. to 700 C.E. Many of them are on
permanent display in the university’s art museum.
Dr. Tim Kendall, MFA Egyptology expert stands between King Aspelta (front) and King Anlamani, the
grandsons of King Taharqa, whose shrine he discovered in northern Sudan in February. The statues at
the MFA were found in 1916 beneath the cliff of the new find.
MSU’s Center for Earthquake Research and Information was a hub of activity on Wednesday, September
26, 1990 as a quake measuring 4.7 hit south of Cape Girardeau, MO at approximately 8:20 in the
morning. Dr. Arch Johnson, Director of the Center, points out the seismic activity recorded by the
seismographs at the Center to state representative Alvin King, a member of the House Study Committee
on Earthquake Preparedness which is chaired by Rep. Mike Kernell.
Kay Wilson, member of Memphis State University’s continuing education department, demonstrates the
lighter side of nuclear energy. Her unusual hairdo is caused by contact with a generator set up by Oak
Ridge during a Nuclear Energy Training Conference in 1974.
Moving into the dorms is always a big task at the beginning of each semester. Students Carrie Healey
and Stephanie Marks worked together to share the burden of moving boxes into the dorms in this photo
from the early 80’s.
Anyone who has ever braved Memphis summer heat would understand the popularity of the
University’s swimming pool at the beginning of the semester in August. The pool was originally located
on the University’s South campus and was constructed in 1971. Today the University has three
swimming pools which are located in the Athletics complex on Echles Street, just across the railroad
tracks from the main campus.
Siblings Al and Rose Mullins of Bartlett hold hands over the railroad tracks on the University’s southern
border in January of ’76.
Ironically, the State Board of Education originally required the University’s Memphis supporters to build
a stop on the railroad line at the campus’s doorstep to help students commute to campus affordably.
For much of the last 50 years, the railroad has done more to hinder students’ capacity to get to class on
time than to aid them in that cause. Since the University’s growth was largely blocked by existing
buildings such as a power plant on the Eastern border, the Administration could only acquire significant
amounts of land for building parking lots south of the railroad tracks.
As with most college campuses, parking is a problem. This young woman, Cathy Hess, a junior at
Memphis State in 1976, searches in vain for a place to leave her car. According to the director of security
Bob Rutherford, the University had 6,800 parking spaces on campus, but about 20,000 parking permits
had been issued that semester.
The serious mismatch between student parking needs and available parking spaces was an ongoing
source of irritation for residents who lived south of the University’s campus during the 60s and 70s.
Many students ended up parking on people’s front yards and blocking driveways in their attempts to
find legal parking spaces and get to class on time. As a result, campus patrolmen like Robert Bellamy
sometimes handed out as many as 68 parking tickets in under 2 hours.
Student demonstrators load buses for transport to the city jail after a two-hour sit-in at the office of
President C. C. Humphreys (April 28, 1969). One hundred three black students and six white students
staged the sit-in demonstration in support of demands for a black studies curriculum, the hiring of a
black dean, more black instructors, and better integration of the athletic program. The students were
also protesting the presence of police on the campus since a similar demonstration occurred the
previous week. Student participants included Black Student Association members William Jordan, James
Mock, David Acey, Ester Hurt and Arthur Flowers.
Student protestors unload from the bus that transported them from campus to the County jail after they
were arrested for staging a sit-in of the President’s office in April 1969.
A student climbs the flagpole attempting to lower the flag to half mast to commemorate the deaths of
Kent State students in the spring of 1969. The Kent State students were killed by National Guardsmen
during a student protest of the Vietnam War and the draft. Memphis State students and the
University’s administration disagreed about how the University should commemorate the incident.
Members of the Black Student Association refused to stand during the playing of the National Anthem at
a Tigers basketball game in December of 1973. They stood later during the game and raised the Black
Power salute. Although the school was formally integrated in 1959, the full incorporation of African
American students into the Memphis State student body was a much slower process that took upwards
of a decade.
Memphis State University had its first integrated homecoming court in 1966. Carla Allen served as the
first alternate Homecoming Queen that year. The women from L to R are: Carla Allen, Queen Toni
Chiozza and Sandra Hopper.
Maybelline Forbes, escorted by Ronald Johnson, is crowned as the first black MSU homecoming Queen
by Linda Veneable, the outgoing Queen and National Homecoming Queen, in October of 1970.
Maybelline’s reign as Homecoming Queen was not without controversy. Mayor Henry Loeb refused to
shake hands with her during the Homecoming Parade. Although the Homecoming Queen was typically
escorted to center field by the captain of the football team, Maybelline was escorted by the student
body President after the football team’s captain refused. There were also reports that white students
threw beer cans and other trash at Maybelline’s car after the football game was over (Jet Magazine,
November 5, 1970, p.23).
Claire Ford, a co-ed at MSU, was crowned Miss Black America in 1977. She is pictured here with Barbara
Jo Walker Hummel, a university alumna, who served as Miss America in 1947.
Kellye Cash, Miss America 1987, a former MSU co-ed, took time out of her busy schedule to pay tribute
to her alma mater. President Carpenter presented her with a jeweled tiger to commemorate her visit.
Cindy Watts, top, Gail Shearer, and Steve Lebovitz rehearse for a production of You Can’t Take It With
You put on by MSU’s theater department.
Students and concerned members of the Memphis community protested outside of the University’s
production of the controversial musical “Hair”.
The Music School’s Opera program is nationally recognized for the quality of their work. They have
produced two or three operas a year since the program began in the early 1960s. Famous alumni
include soprano Gail Robinson,
MSU’s Black Gospel choir performs in December 1977. From L to R the singers are: Grant Parham Jr,
Caroline Jones, Zebulon Price, Brenda Armstrong, Teresa Pique, Winfrey Brown and Terance Carnes.
Two female students use a shopping cart to help speed up the process of moving into the dorms.
On a sunny afternoon in 1970, a young female student enjoys studying in a shady spot on the
University’s main lawn. The stone bench was a gift of the Class of 1937.
The sorors of MSU’s Delta Gamma and Delta Sigma Theta chapters pose for a group photo at a Greek
event in the early 80s.
Ribs will bring us together.
Two students compete in the University’s annual Mudball, a volleyball tournament played in six inches
of mud. The annual event was initiated by the Student Ambassador Board in 1984 as a fundraising
event for their scholarship program. The J Wayne Johnson Scholarship is given out each spring to
graduating seniors who have demonstrated academic and leadership excellence during their time at
A gleeful Mudball participant enjoys the action in the annual tournament.
Members of the University’s marching band play in the half time show, complete with tiger paws.
Step shows are an important part of African American Greek life and as black students were more fully
integrated into the University community, black fraternities on campus began hosting step shows on
campus. This photo features members of Alpha Phi Alpha performing in the late 80s.
Tiger cheerleaders rest on the sidelines during a basketball game in the Mid South Coliseum.
Yvonne Chapman and other cheerleaders practice with their blue and grey pompoms before the big
homecoming game in 1973.
Kimberly Eggert, Sharon Smith and Marceia Moore carry flags during a performance by the marching
Coach Larry Finch, pictured here at center, coached the MSU Tigers Basketball team to multiple NCAA
appearances between 1986 and 1997. Finch’s winning squad in 1992 included future NBA star Penny
Finch’s career at MSU started when he was a young standout basketball player in the late 60s and early
70s. Most notably, Finch helped lead the MSU Tigers to their first ever NCAA final against St Louis in
January 1973, Ronnie “the Big Cat” Robinson is caught mid-air during a basketball game versus St. Louis
at the Mid-South Coliseum.
A lady Tiger is captured in a jump shot in a game versus the University of Southern Mississippi in the
Stan Davis was Memphis State’s “first Negro star” beginning in the 1969 football season according to a
Commercial Appeal article on his early work at MSU. The article said further, “He has the opportunity to
become in the next two years a sports legend to live in storied recollection with the other standouts
who are remembered after their exploits surrender to time.” He was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles
Action shot from the 1975 UT vs. Memphis State football game. UTK has been one of MSU’s biggest
sports rivals through the school’s history.
MSU’s men’s rugby team plays their local rival Rhodes College
Women’s soccer action shot from the mid-80s
The original Pouncer, J Wayne Johnson, talks on the phone ~ 1962. Johnson originated the human
mascot in 1961, even buying the original costume with money from his own pocket. Johnson also led the
student effort to obtain a live animal mascot for the football team during his time on campus.
The original TOM tiger was purchased and donated to the University by the Highland Hundred booster
club. TOM I lived in a habitat at the Memphis Zoo from 1972 until his death in 1992.
Chapter 5: University of Memphis, 1994 to the Present
Two workers construct the new University of Memphis sign in June 1994. The University’s name was
changed in 1994 for several reasons, but chief among them was the desire of the University’s
administration to distinguish the organization from other regional schools. The new name also marked
a period of growth in programs and a focus on expanding the reach of the organization to a national and
Former University President Carpenter and _____________ stand in front of the newly constructed
Thomas G Carpenter Student Housing Complex. The Carpenter Housing Complex, which was completed
in 1998, provides students with the opportunity to live in apartment or townhouse accommodations on
campus. These living spaces are also leased to students on a year round basis so students can live in
them through the summer months and over breaks.
The V. Lane Rawlins Clock Tower and Service Court were completed in 2003 and were dedicated as part
of the University’s 90th anniversary celebrations. The Service Court contains the University’s bookstore.
Faculty process towards the McWherter Library facility during a faculty convocation. The McWherter
Library was completed in 1994. It currently houses the majority of the University’s library collection and
the Mississippi Valley Collection. The former library facility, Brister Library, is used to house University
offices and the University’s Alumni Heritage Room.
The University’s Fed Ex Institute of Technology provides a home for many of the Business School’s
programs. The Zone is a state of the art facility located inside the Institute that provides meeting space
for groups on campus.
The New University Center was completed in the spring of 2010. It replaced the original University
Center which was built in 1966.
The new University Center’s opening was marked with a week-long series of events in spring 2010 that
was kicked off with a ribbon cutting and dedication.
The new UC includes a new food court, a restaurant for more formal dining, a new 24 hour computer
lab, meeting space for student organizations and study carrels that are available for undergraduates use.
The Cecil C Humphreys School of Law moved into new facilities in downtown Memphis in January of
2010. The Law School purchased the old federal post office building in 2007 at a cost of $6 million and
they spent an additional $6 million on the renovations and historic preservation of the buildings
architectural details. The law school was moved because the University wanted to invest in the
renaissance of downtown Memphis. The new facility is also located in the heart of Memphis’s business
and legal district and helps afford students better access to the Memphis legal community.
Interior architectural details of the law school
Students work to install a new mummy in the Egyptian Collection of the University’s Art & Architecture
The University obtained the Chucalissa Museum from the State of Tennessee in 1972. The Museum is
an important regional site for educating the public about local Native American culture through cultural
events and exhibits.
A professor in the Chemistry department explains a lab procedure in one of the University’s many labs in
Smith Hall in 1998.
A professor in the Herff College of Engineering explains the process by which solar energy is converted
into fossil fuels.
A student in the Lowenberg School of Nursing practices filling a syringe under the watchful eye of her
A nursing student practices administering oxygen to a patient.
Professor Michael Hagge interacts with a student in his architecture class during an in-class
Architecture students work at their drafting tables in the spring of 2010.
Two students talk between classes in the courtyard between Clement Hall and Wilder Tower in 1999.
Two students work together to move a computer into the dorms at the start of the fall ’99 semester.
Incoming freshmen participate in an unconventional ‘canoe’ race in the fall of 2007 at Frosh Camp.
Playing leap frog at Frosh Camp in 2007
University alumni young and old gather before MSU football games at the Liberty Bowl to tailgate.
Enthusiastic Memphis fans tailgate at a Tiger Trek event. Tiger Trek events are group trips sponsored by
the Alumni Association for alumni members to travel together to and from away games of the football
and basketball teams.
The University’s maturity as an organization is demonstrated by the wide base of alumni and fan
support. Many University alums continue to reside in the mid-South area after graduation and have
encouraged their children and grandchildren to go to the school. This young fan is the daughter of an
The University also has an impressive number of older alumni who are still active in the Alumni
Association and as supporters of the school’s sports teams. The University’s 50 Year Alumni Club
currently has over 100 members.
The Memphis Blues Queens serve as honorary hostesses for Alumni at sporting events and in the
Homecoming parade. This Blues Queen is accompanied by her husband at a pep rally on campus during
the 2008 NCAA tournament when the Tigers were ranked first in the nation in men’s basketball.
Pouncer performs in his Elvis inspired jumpsuit at an NCAA regional game in 2008.
The Tigers’ starring point guard Derrick Rose goes for a dunk during an NCAA regional game in 2007.
Rose was named the top high school point guard in the nation during his senior year. This shot is from
his freshmen year at the U of Memphis.
The Tigers punter during a football game
#82 gets tackled during a football game at the Liberty Bowl
Freshman Tamika Whitmore puts pressure on an opponent during a regular season game in ’96.
Whitemore was considered one of the best freshman players in women’s basketball by the U of M
#21, , works hard to keep possession of the ball during a game against regional rival Southern
Junior Heather Eschenberg watches her drive land nicely on the fairway during a round of golf in 1996.
Escheburg, two other juniors and four freshmen were working to improve the U of M women’s golf
team’s record that year.
Senior Karen Cox lead the women’s track team in most events through her senior year. In this photo,
she was competing in the javelin toss at a University meet on South Campus.
Two dancers perform during a recital of the University’s modern dance program.
Dancers in concert
A fire truck loaded down with Memphis students and alums rolls down Central Avenue during the