Sample Test Review - Nursing Research
1. All research articles contain both a problem statement and a purpose statement.
True or false. Answer: False.
2. Which of the steps of the research process is nearly always listed first?
A. Review of literature
B. Determine the population
C. Identify the study problem
D. Formulate the hypothesis
3. Nurses have used which of the following sources of knowledge?
A. Logical reasoning
C. Trial and error
D. Scientific method
E. All of the above
4. Informed consent includes which of the following?
A. Protection of anonymity
B. Protection from anxiety
C. Full understanding of the study by the subject
D. Guarantee of no psychological harm
5. What is the range for the following set of test scores? 78 80 84 86 87 88
6. A basic understanding of statistics is necessary for all researchers. True or false.
7. A nurse researcher wants to study the possibility that wheelchair-bound college
women suffer low self-esteem. She sends a self-esteem inventory to all
wheelchair-bound college women on two local campuses. They found that 72%
of this sample did suffer from low self-esteem. What type of design is this?
B. Descriptive correlational
C. Descriptive comparative
8. A nurse researcher wanted to compare the number of medication errors to the
ability to do critical thinking in practicing nurses. She randomly selected 25 RNs
with more than five years of experience, 25 RNs with 3-5 years of experience, and
25 RNs with less than 3 years of experience. What type of sampling is this?
B. Stratified random
C. Systematic random
D. Simple random
9. Under what conditions would the mean, median, and mode be equal?
A. Bimodal distribution of scores
B. Normal distribution of scores
C. Range and standard deviation are equal
D. Small curve
10. An alpha coefficient of .94 for internal consistency of an instrument would
A. Strong validity
B. Strong reliability
C. Weak validity
D. Weak reliability