World Studies Name _______________________________
Geography Unit Date _____________ Period _________
Geography Skills Questions
Directions: Utilize your "Geography Skills Handbook" to help you answer the following questions. Although complete
sentences are not necessary, thoughtful and thorough answers are.
THINKING LIKE A GEOGRAPHER
1. What type of tools and technologies would you need in order to help you practice the skill of analyzing geographic
information? (5 tools/technologies)
2. Geography often begins with the question _____________?
3. The basic tool for answering the previous question is ________________.
4. What is another name for a line of latitude?
5. What is another name for a line of longitude? What is the name of the line at 0 degrees longitude?
FROM GLOBES TO MAPS
6. What is the most accurate depiction of area, distance, and direction concerning the earth?
7. What happens when the curves of a globe become straight lines on a map?
8. Approximately how many kinds of map projections are there?
9. What are the three basic categories of map projections?
10. What is the shortest distance between two points on a globe?
COMMON MAP PROJECTIONS
11. What are the four most popular map projections?
12. What is the problem with the Robinson projection?
13. What is a positive aspect about the Goode's Interrupted Equal-Area Projection?
14. GIS is an abbreviation for what
READING A MAP
15. Define: Key:
16. What is the difference between small-scale and large-scale maps?
17. What is the difference between absolute location and relative location?
18. ___________________ ____________________ maps are typically used for reference, education, and travel.
19. Describe the difference between a physical map and a political map.
20. _________________-____________________ maps emphasize a single idea or a particular kind of information about
GRAPHS, CHARTS, AND DIAGRAMS
21. Most graphs show two sets of data, one displayed along the _____________________ axis and the other displayed
along the ___________________ axis.
22. What does a line graph show?
23. What does a bar graph typically show?
24. A circle graph shows the _______________________ of ___________________ to a _____________________.
GEOGRAPHIC DICTIONARY (Please define the following words)
28. Mouth (of a river)
30. Prime Meridian