LI: To write instructions for
how to mummify a body.
What happened when a Pharaoh
• When a pharaoh died, the body was preserved
by people called embalmers.
• Embalmers took the body to the Beautiful
House- the name of where they worked.
• They removed some of the inner parts of the
body first. The organs were taken out and stored
in special containers called canopic jars.
• The heart was left in the body however, so that it
could be weighed in the afterlife.
• Then they rubbed the body with special
ointments and wrapped it tightly with bandages.
• When a body had been treated in this way it was
called a mummy.
• The mummy was put in a coffin. The coffin was
the same shape as the body, and had a carved ,
painted face on it.
• A funeral was held by a Priest in the temple.
• The coffin was then taken to the pharaoh’s
• The pharaoh was buried with all their
possessions, for use on the journey to the
• The Egyptians believed that
mummification preserved the body of the
deceased and ensured their survival