(1124) (1250) (1445) (Today)
Strivlin /Estrivelin / Strivinling / Stirling Timeline
1125. Stirling’s Royal Charter.
The town was granted a Royal Charter by King David 1, making it one of the most important towns of medieval Scotland.
1140. Cambuskenneth Abbey.
King DAVID 1. Founds the Cambuskenneth Abbey by the Forth
1170 The King’s Park.
William 1, (William the Lion) creates this Royal Hunting Park, it also included a race track within its grounds, and later other parks were created
near Bannockburn by Alexander 111, in 1263.
c1174. Stirling Castle Rebuilt.
Stirling Castle was originally built in wood, but was rebuilt in stone in 1174
1174. Castle handed over to the English.
Control of Stirling Castle is handed over to the English as part of the terms of the release of William 1, who was held captive by them.
1214. Death of King William 1.
King William dies in Stirling Castle in this year.
1291. Longshanks, takes control of Stirling Castle.
Edward 1, of England takes control of the castle, while he adjudicates the future of the Scottish Crown
1297. Battle of Stirling Bridge.
William Wallace and Andrew Murray lead the Scots to victory, just below Stirling Castle, the bridge at that time was wooden with four arches, and
this stood some 60 metres upstream from today’s bridge.
1297. John “Pin” Wright
John Wright was the man responsible for removing the pins, which destabilised the Auld Brig during the battle of Stirling Bridge. Their after all
first born son’s of the Wright family were given the nickname “Pin” until the last of the Pin Wright’s died in 1900’s.
1297. English flee Stirling Castle.
Stirling Castle is surrendered by the English to the Scots in the aftermath of the Battle of Stirling Bridge, and Wallace’s victory.
1298. The Scots Abandon Stirling Castle.
The Scots abandon Stirling Castle after Wallace’s defeat at the Battle of Falkirk, being let down by the Scottish Nobles. Edward 1, takes control
1314. Battle of Bannockburn
The most famous Scottish victory in the “Wars of Independence” Robert the Bruce led the Scots to do battle with Edward 11, the battle lasted two
1326. The First Scottish Parliament.
In this year the first ever Scottish Parliament was held by Robert the Bruce in Cambuskenneth Abbey.
1452. Earl of Douglas Murdered.
King James 11, murders the Earl of Douglas at Stirling Castle
1457. The Stirling Jug.
The Stirling Jug was the liquid measure by which all measures were standardised by, and was not superseded till imperial measures were introduced in
1488. Battle of Sauchieburn.
The 14 year old Duke of Rothesay, son of James111, leads a revolt against his father that culminates with the Battle of Sauchieburn, fought over
the same ground as the Battle of Bannockburn, James 111. Is killed after the battle by an unknown hand.
1500. The Great Hall.
The work on the castle’s great hall began on this year, and was completed four year later.
1504. Damian the Mad Monk.
John Damian (Alchemist) attempted to fly to France from the castle battlements, with wings made from hen’s feathers, but to no avail.
1543. Coronation of Mary Queen of Scots.
The infant Mary Queen of Scots is crowned in the Chapel Royal in Stirling Castle, her coronation “Bawbees” were produced from the Bridge of Allan
1543-1570. The Worlds Oldest Football.
A leather football was found behind a thick oak panelled wall, in a bed chamber in Stirling Castle, used by Mary Queen of Scots.
1547. Erection of The Town Wall.
After the “Battle of Pinkie” on the banks of the River Esk, Musselburgh on the 10th Sept, 1547, a stone wall was built around the town for
1567. Closure of both Friaries.
As reformation swept through Scotland, both friaries in Stirling were closed.
1566. First Fireworks Display.
The first fireworks display at Stirling Castle was seen at the christened of James 1v, celebrations.
1567. The Crowning of James V1.
The son of Mary Queen of Scots was crowned in the Holy Rude Church aged thirteen months old. John Knox preached the coronation sermon.
JamesV1, also inherited the throne of England in 1603.
1570. The Round House.
Still standing today, it sits within the Thistle Centre. The Round House formed part of the town’s wall defences erected during the Scottish Wars of
1594. Rebuilding of the Chapel Royal.
JamesV1, orders the rebuilding of the Chapel Royal, the building we see today.
1600. The Doune Pistols.
Doune was famous for “Pistol Manufacture” in the 17th century; it’s claimed that a shot fired from a “Doune Pistol” started the “American War of
1606. The Plague hits Stirling.
The Plague in this year killed over 600 people, a large part of the population at that time, and it returned in 1645 and left the town depopulated
1627. The King’s Knot Garden.
During this year the castle gardens were being redesigned, and the King’s Knot was constructed for a forthcoming visit from King Charles 1.
1630. Stirling Castle under Siege.
General Monk lays siege to Stirling Castle on behalf of Cromwell. The badly damaged castle surrenders to Monk on 14th August of that year.
1668. The Raploch Farm.
The whole area on the north side of the Drip Road, from the Auld Bridge to Kildean was the Raploch Farm. One of the farmer’s wife was a direct
descendent of Rob Roy McGregor.
1710-1789. Callander Family of Craigforth House.
Craigforth House was the seat of the John Callander Family, later on the estate was run by son George of Ardkinglass 1848, and he also owned
large areas of land in Argyllshire.
1715. Battle of Sheriffmuir
The Duke of Argyll meets, and defeats the larger, more superior Jacobite army at the “Battle of Sheriffmuir” a few miles north of Stirling.
1745. Stirling Bridge Damaged.
The most southern arch of the bridge was destroyed by the Hanoverian forces in this year, by order of Governor Blackley. A week later the Duke
of Cumberland ordered it to be replaced.
1745. Prince Charles Edward Stuart.
Fleeing after the Battle of Culloden, Prince Charles found refuge in a cave under a waterfall at the Touch Estate, near Cambusbarron.
1753. Dugald (Douglas) Graham’s “Account of the Rebellion”.
Born in the Raploch, Douglas Graham used to stand at Kildean in the Raploch watching the soldiers heading to the Jacobite Rebellion. One day he
decided to tag along and later became the unofficial news reporter. He later published his account.
1770. Removal of Town Gates
The “Great Barra Port was the main gateway from the south, once this was removed the others gates/ports followed. This is where Port Street got
1770. The Carronade Cannon.
The cannon made by the Carron Iron Works, Falkirk, were favoured by Nelson and Wellington during the “Battle of Trafalgar” it is said that the
Falkirk cannons were the best in the world.
1779. Stirling Banking Company.
The bank produced its own bank notes; one of the main partners was William Connal, born in Stirling a son of Cloth Merchant Michael Connal. After
its closure in 1826 William became a partner in the “Cunard Line” of Steamers.
1791. Airthrey Castle.
Robert Haldane commissioned Robert Adam’s to design and build the castle, he used the profits from the copper mines on his estate to pay for it.
1799. The Raploch Begins to Grow.
Ten houses are to be built in the Raploch, just outside the town’s walls
1799. Stirling Gets Piped Water.
Stirling Gained its first piped water, but only if you could afford to have it installed.
1800. Stirling Castle Converted into Army Barracks.
During the “Napoleonic Wars” much of the castle was converted into barracks to accommodate the Scottish Troops bound for distant battles. The
Nether Bailey was constructed to hold ammunitions
1805. St.Ninian’s Famous Painter.
Sir George Harvey was born in this year; the young Harvey was always interested in sketching. His most famous painting are; “Covenanters
Preaching”, “The Bowlers”, and “The Curlers”.
1819. Skeleton of a Whale Found.
An entire skeleton of a whale 70ft long was found during some draining operations at the south side of the road leading to Airthrey Castle by Sir
1823. A Stolen Kiss, St.Ninians.
A jury at Stirling Court heard how a man stole a kiss from a woman in St.Ninians, as she looked out of her 2nd story window. The man was a passing
by as a passenger on the Royal Perth Mail Coach, he said the coach tilted and their heads had come together. The court could not decide on the
value of a kiss, some said it was worth a bag of Sweeties, after 12 hours deliberation the court cleared him.
1826. Stirling gets, Gas Street Lamps.
This created some jobs, as men were require to light and extinguished the lamps. These men could make a few shilling on the side by waking people up
for their work in the mornings as the extinguished
1831. The Stevenson Bridge.
The foundation stone was laid on the 8th September, of this year; the bridge was designed by the grandfather of Robert Louis Stevenson.
1836. Stirling Observer Newspaper.
The first edition of the newspaper was printed in this year, the paper was founded by Ebenezer Johnstone and still going strong today.
1843. Last Person Hanged.
The last person hanged in Stirling was an 84 year old farmer, who bludgeoned his wife to death. During the hanging he managed to free his hands
during the hanging, and pulled at the noose, the hangman had to hang onto his legs and swing about to finish him off. Which upset the spectators?
1847. Stirling’s New Jail.
Stirling no longer had to send its prisoners to Edinburgh.
1856. Stirling to Balloch Railway.
Construction of the railway line was started on this year,
1857. Stirling Gets, a Modern Police Force.
Now with a new jail, Stirling could upgrade its police force.
1857. Poorhouse / Lunatic Asylum.
This was built on the east side of Union Street, where Spittalmyre Bowling Club stands today.
1848. The Railway Reaches Stirling.
Stirling began to grow more rapidly with the coming of the railway, as more “well to do” people moved to the town, as they could now commute to
1868. The Wallace Monument.
This was the year the monument to William Wallace (Guardian of Scotland) was built, thousands of people watched as the foundation stone was laid.
1874. Horse Drawn Trams in Stirling.
Horse drawn trams began to run through the streets of Stirling, in this year an Infirmary was built along with the Smiths Art Gallery Museum.
1882. The Old Arcade.
The arcade also housed the “Old Alhamburgh Theatre” where the likes of Sir Harry Louder played.
1900. Stirling Gets Electricity.
The first electricity was generated in Stirling in this year, but only if you could afford to have it installed.
1916. Raploch Airfield.
This was the base of the No.43 (Fighter) Squadron, known as the “Fighting Cocks” because of their black gamecock emblem; they flew from the
fields of Falleninch Farm.