Science Chapter 5 Lesson 1 Rocks
1. minerals = is a substance found in nature that is not a plant
or an animal. Minerals are the building blocks of rocks.
2. property = characteristic of matter you can observe, such
as texture, color, size, luster, shape, flexibility.
3. chalk = a soft rock used for writing
4. texture = is how something feels
5. scratch test = tells if a mineral is hard or soft.
6. streak = when you rub a mineral on something many minerals
leave a mark called a streak.
7. igneous rock = a “fire-made” rock formed from melted rock
materials. (Granite & Basalt are examples)
8. sedimentary rock = a kind of rock formed when sand, mud,
pebbles at the bottom of river, lakes,
and oceans pile up causing pressure to
cement them into solid rocks.
(Limestone & Siltstone are examples)
9. metamorphic rock = a rock that has changed form through
squeezing and heating.
( Marble & Gneiss are examples)
10. graphite = is found in pencil lead
11. glass = is made from sand
12. rocks = used to make roads, walls, buildings
13. cement = is made from crushed limestone
14. Granite = is a rock made of many different minerals
15. Limestone = is a rock made of only one mineral.