Mrs. Wood’s English Rules and Procedures
Honors English 10
1. Respect yourself and others at all times!
2. No food or drink in class (unless other instructions are given). Water is fine.
3. Bring materials and books to class everyday.
4. No sitting on desks or leaning back in chairs. Do not touch blinds.
5. No writing on desks or chalkboards.
6. No playing in the classroom. Keep your hands to yourself!
7. No brushing hair, doing make up, or nails in class.
8. No radios, headphones, CDs, or tape recorders in the classroom.
9. No throwing things in the classroom.
10. The teacher’s desk is off limits.
11. Name calling, taunting or bulling will not be tolerated!
Classwork and Homework
1. No spiral paper or torn sheets may be turned in.
2. Do not put plastic jackets on reports.
3. Put your name, date, class period, and assignment title in the right
hand corner of each paper.
5. All answers must be written in complete sentences (unless other instructions are
6. Work is due when it is due! If you do not have an assignment when it is due you
must come see me with the assignment the next morning. The first day the paper is late
you will lose 10%, the second day 20% after that you may turn in the paper for 50% until
the end of the unit. After the end of a unit, I will not take the late work. If the paper that is
late is an end of the unit paper you will lose 10% the first day, 20% the second day and
the next day it will be 50%. After that you may not turn it in. Example: if you do not have
your Crucible Act one worksheet you may not turn it in after we have finished The
Crucible, it must be before the final project paper or test. If there is a good reason you do
not have your work you must see me ASAP!
7. It is your responsibility to make up work and get information about the
assignments when you are gone. Assignments will be written on the back
board for the week. You will find all worksheets and schedules on my SWIFT account.
Worksheets will be in the white box on the cabinet. I will not take work after the unit is
over unless other arrangements have been made.
8. Arrangements will be made in the event of an excused long-term absence.
9. Students must make arrangements 2 days in advance for permission to be
gone from class for school activities or field trips. Work must be made up
ahead of time. It is your responsibility to get homework when you are gone!
10. If you are in the library finishing an assignment when class starts you are truant and
the assignment is late.
11. I will not accept the excuse that you ran out of ink or paper for an assignment. If this
happens you can e-mail the copy to me at email@example.com
9th and 10th grade
20% Daily Work
All other classes
40% Daily Work and Homework
1. You must be in your assigned seat when the bell rings.
2. Please see your handbook for procedures.
Papers must be turned in on time. Final papers must be typed using a 12 point font in
Courier, Times New Roman don’t forget to double space. You may receive 10 points
extra credit on all formal papers if you have another teacher or guardian revise your
rough draft. They must sign and complete the peer edit form.
If you are not here when a paper is due you should e-mail the work to me. If you are
absent on the day you are to do an oral report with a group you need to e-mail or call me
or your partners.
If you need to have a paper printed bring it to me before school or you can use the library
before school. I will not print during class or allow you to run to the library during
class. Students must bring papers to class printed and ready to turn in.
Most formal papers will be turned in using turnitin.com, if you have problems using it
bring your paper in on a flash drive the day it is due and I will help you.
You are responsible for checking your own grades on Skyward! If you do not have your
password you can get it at the front office desk. If you see a problem see me immediately,
do not wait months to try and correct it.
Students who are caught cheating on anything (quiz, test, worksheet anything that will
receive a grade) will be no longer considered for honors or AP classes. That means that if
you cheat, at the end of the year when we place students I will tell the AP committee that
you should not be placed in advanced classes. Note that all AP and honors classes are
I have a website on the SHS staff page of the district website. If you are ill or gone
for any reason you can see what we are doing on that day. Parents, this is a really
good way to keep track of what your child is doing in class. You can even print out
worksheets from this website. If you send me an e-mail and you do not hear from me
after 24 hours, please check to see that I have received the e-mail and the computer did
not catch it with the spam. I check the spam once a week only.
Honors English Syllabus
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings or Bean Trees
Various short stories
The Great Gatsby
To Kill a Mockingbird
In Cold Blood
Capote –if your family does not watch R movies other arrangements can be made, just let
Various short stories
Students must read these books and substitutions will only be made in the event that a
student has read and studied the book in the past year.
Students will be required to turn in a Notebook at the end of most units. This will consist
of notes from each section of the reading, information about the author or time and three
to five essays. These will all be turned in to turnitin.com. You will not have to turn in
paper copies of these because they can get very long. If you have a problem turning it in
to turnitin.com bring your paper in on a flash drive and I will help you the day it is due. If
the paper isn’t turned in by 11:59 pm the day it is due it is late.
Students will need for this class:
Pen or pencil
Paper that can be kept in a notebook either spiral or other
Post it notes to mark pages of novels that we are reading.