ENERGY CONSERVATION ACTIVITIES
THE SINGARENI COLLIERIES COMPANY LIMITED
PERFORMANCE INDICATORS AT A GLANCE
Indicators 1997-98 1998-99 1999-00 2000-01 2001-02 2002-03
Production (Millin 28.941 27.326 29.556 30.274 30.811 29.942
Output per man 1.17 1.14 1.24 1.25 1.34 1.48
Specific energy 25.19 25.00 23.30 22.45 20.27 17.76
(kwh/Tonne of coal
Savings in Energy Bill
Bill paid to A.P. TRANSCO in 2001-01
:Rs. 247.40 Crores
Bill paid to A.P. TRANSCO in 2001-02
: Rs. 224.85 Crores
Savings in Energy Bill : Rs. 22.55 Crores
Reduction in Colony
Reduction in Domestic energy consumption from
April, 2002 to February, 2003 compared to
Corresponding period in previous year
In units : 2.705 Crores
In Rupees : 11.336 Crores
Average consumption per
House Per month
• In the year 1998-99 : 417 Units
• in the year 2002-03 : 217 Units
[Upto Feb ’03]
• Reduction in Units : 200 per House per month
• Percentage Reduction : 48%
• [Total No. of Houses – 46656]
Activities taken up in SSCL for
Reduction in Energy Consumption
• Pole Mounted Transformers [PMTs] installed.
• HT Cat. VI Power for residential colonies arranged.
• Use of 11 Watt, Compact Fluorescent Lamps [CFLs]
• Use of Energy Efficient 36 Watt, 4ft, Flurescent Tub
Light [FTL] fittings with Electronic ballast.
• Energy efficient ceiling fans with electronic regulator
[48” sweep, 50 W]
• LP Gas based water heaters in place of electric water
• Transformer Protection Devices [TPDs] installation.
• Automatic street light control switches.
• Under ground roadway lighting with Light Emitting
Diodes [LEDs] (under trial).
• Open cast quarry and dump yard lighting with
modern efficient lighting system.
• Re-organisation and Retionalisation of pumping
layouts and pumps in Mines.
• Variable Speed Drives for Underground machinery
[Haulers, Conveyor drives and Fans].
• Fibre Reinforced Plastic [FRP] runners for mine
ventilation fans (under trial).
• Solar Power security Fence system to Save on Flood
Lighting, Fuel Costs Manpower costs for Patrolling apart
from safeguarding company property.
• Fixing centralised control switches for Offices and Guest
• Replacing copper chokes by electronic ballast for all
existing street light fittings.
POLE MOUNDED TRANSFORMERS [PMT]
for Residential Colonies
Introduced in the year 1998.
Commissioned upto February ’03 : 3538 Nos..
Total Reduction in colony consumption
from the year 1998-99 to 2002-03 : 12.38 Crore unit
Saving in Energy Charges during
the above period [@Rs. 4.19/unit average] : Rs. 51.87 Crores
Compact Fluorescent Lamps
• Cost of 11W CFL : Rs. 150/- each
• Guarantee period : One year.
• Expected life : 4000-6000 burning hours
[3.3 to 5 Years]
• Energy savings/year : 1.35 Crore units.
• Savings in value/Year : Rs. 4.86 Crores.
• Initial Cost of CFLs : Rs. 3.45 Crores
[for 2,30,000 CFLs]
• Payback period : 9 Months.
Fluorescent Tube Light fittings
with electronic ballast [FTL’s]
• Cost of 36W FTL : Rs. 411.42 each
• Guarantee period : One year for Tube light and 2
years for electronic ballast.
• Energy savings/year : 35.32 Lakh units.
• Savings in value/year : Rs. 1.27 Crores.
• Initial cost of FTLs : Rs. 3.78 Crores
[for 92,000 FTLs]
• payback period : 3 Years.
Energy Efficient Ceiling Fans with
• 1723 nos. of Old identified fans in Offices which are consuming
high wattage were replaced by energy efficient fans.
• Total cost of above fans : Rs. 10.75 Lakhs
[@ Rs. 624/- per fan].
• Expected Savings per year : Rs. 6.62 Lakhs
• Payback period : 1.6 Years.
• Proposed to replace old fans in
all company Quarters : 51,000 nos.
• Cost of new energy efficient fans : Rs. 3.3 Crores
• Expected savings per year : Rs. 1.1 Crores
• Payback period : 3 Years.
L.P. Gas based water Heaters
Total no. of electric water heaters in use : 1800 Nos.
Proposed to replace by Gas based water heaters.
To avoid use of electrical energy completely.
Cost of Gas geysers + Cost of gas / year : Rs. 1.47 Crores
Expected energy savings per year by : 24.3 lakh units.
replacing electrical geysers.
Expected savings [in Rupees] : Rs. 0.87 Crores
Expected payback period : 1.7 Years.
Transformer Protection Device [TPD]
for the 10 KVA Pole Mounted Transformers
To monitor daily units and monthly units for individual quarters.
To safeguard the transformer and for trouble free power supply.
Expected total savings from all Houses per year.
In Units : 7.16 Crore units.
In Value : Rs. 25.83 Crores
Initial investment[1,745 Nos.] : 18.14 Crores.
Expected payback period : 11 Months.
Automatic Control Switches
[for street lighting, Yard lighting, Mine surface lighting]
Total Quantity proposed : 380 Nos.
Total initial cost : Rs. 40.84 Lakhs
Expected Savings / year : Rs. 37.44 Lakhs
Payback period : 1.1 Year
Lighting system in
Under Ground Mine
Proposed to use Light Emitting Diode [LED] based lights
for Underground roadway illumination.
LED has got long service life of eleven years.
Expected energy savings of 60% [Approx.].
For 54 Underground Mines and minimum 100 Kms
roadway lighting expected savings are Rs. 51.6 Lakh per
Illumination of Open Cast Mines
• Proposed to install effective and energy efficient lighting
system in Open cast Mines.
• To cover all locations in all Open cast Mines.
• Initially it is being implemented at Open cast-II, Manuguru.
Order placed for luminaries and towers.
Energy efficient pumping system
Reorganization of pumping layouts in all Underground mines is
planned and action initiated for implementation.
Procurement of energy efficient pumps is under processing.
Expected reduction in energy consumption per annum is 10-15%
Energy efficient Starters for
For Direct Haulers, Belt conveyors, ventilation fans and
pumpsets, variable speed drives are proposed.
Fibre Reinforced Plastic [FRP] runners for mine ventilation
fans in place of metallic runners are proposed.
Expected reduction in energy consumption per annum is 10-15%
Solar Powered Security Fence system
Enhanced protection to company’s property and
Reduction in security manpower.
Reduction in patrolling Costs.
Energy savings by Reduced flood lighting
Expected payback period : 3.5 Years
Projected Annual energy savings
• By implementing all the energy
conservation activities in SCCL, the
expected annual savings are around
Rs. 50.00 Crores.