Docstoc

UNISON

Document Sample
UNISON Powered By Docstoc
					                                                        APPENDIX ‘D’
                               UNISON
                         West Midlands Region
                          Regional Committee
                         Notes of Meeting held on
                     THURSDAY 17 JANUARY 2008 at
                         UNISON Regional Centre
                   24 Livery Street, Birmingham B3 2PA
                          UIA/OSBORNE ROOMS
08/01 PRESENT:                                                                    ACTION
      S Beardsmore (Chair)    S Laws                J Sedgebeer
      L Coyne                 J Longbottom          C Sewell
      B Deacon                A Magnus-Bennett      M Shepherd
      J Forbes                A Mansell-Green       E Smith
      S Higgins               T Mears               A Turner
      G Jones                 A McLaughlin          C Walton
      D Kippest               E Petgrave

08/02 APOLOGIES:

      D Auger                 F Hill                J Richmond
      D Baldwin               G Horn                S Richardson
      M Cantello              C Maxim               P Wilson
      G Maxim                 T Morgan

      Also in attendance:

      Val Gibson, Development Manager
      Keith Heron, Central Services Manager
      Tony Rabaiotti, Policy Services Manager
      Michelle Carty (Minutes)


08/03 MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING:

      The minutes of the meeting held on the 27 September 2008 were AGREED as a
      true record.
08/04 MATTERS ARISING:

      07/52 – In the absence of the Temporary Organising Services Manager it was AE
      requested that she contact Bob Deacon of the LGBT to update him regarding
      the recommendation.

      79.1 The Coventry equal pay case closed in December. We are awaiting
      judgment which should come through in late January early February.




                                                                          1
08/05 CORRESPONDENCE:                                                                      ACTION

     05.1 Request for donation to Tolpuddle Festival
     A donation of £1000 was AGREED.                                                       KH

     05.2 National Standing orders Post Conference Survey – response received
     from Julie Lawrence
     The feedback was ACCEPTED.

     OBJECTIVE 1:
     RECRUITING, ORGANISING AND REPRESENTING MEMBERS

08/06 REGIONAL CONVENOR’S REPORT:

     Most items to be raised were covered under agenda headings.

08/07 REGIONAL SECRETARY’S REPORT:

     Most items to be raised were covered under agenda headings apart from:

     The Regional Secretary thanked the Regional Convenor for welcoming her back
     to work and she looks forward to working with you all in 2008.

     The Regional Secretary also thanked both staff and lay activists for all their hard
     work in running the region in her absence.

08/08 RETIRED MEMBERS’ COMMITTEE:

     Further to the report David Kippest requested a donation from Regional
     Committee to support the 29th March Rally due to take place at Carrs Lane
     Church Centre to commemorate the Centenary of the foundation of the State
     Pension in 1908. Publicity will be posted on the website and sent to all
     branches.                                                                 KH
     A donation of £500 was AGREED.

     The Committee were informed of the terminal illness of Sid Ashmore and were KH
     requested to support his application for Honorary membership to UNISON.

     The Committee AGREED and also that a letter be sent to Sid to thank him for KH
     his contribution to the Retired Members Committee and UNISON.

     The written report was RECEIVED.

08/09 BRANCH DEVELOPMENT ORGANISATION AND RECRUITMENT:

     The Chair of the Branch and Development Organisation Committee raised the
     concern that although we achieved the highest recruitment rate of any region of
     1.6%, we were well below the 3% target and recruitment must remain our
     highest priority.




                                                                                  2
     The Regional Secretary informed the Committee that the Region were working ACTION
     in line with ‘Meeting the Organising Challenge’ to make new appointments to
     maximise resources in the field. Progress on this will be made throughout 2008.

     The Region is also seeking the co-operation and ideas from Regional
     Committee on how to be effective and free up more resources to work within
     branches on recruitment and organising.

     The Regional Secretary stressed that electronic communication is crucial to free
     up resources .

     The position surrounding density was also raised and work is ongoing both at
     regional and national levels. A new pilot recruitment course to engage new
     stewards is currently being established.

     The written report was RECEIVED.

08/10 NEC BRIEFING:

     Within the report Bob Deacon raised the issue in relation to the General
     Secretary’s Report that the wording of ‘Town Hall’ unions was incorrect.
     He also requested that basic information surrounding local government issues
     be made more readily available at National level.

     Annette Mansell-Green and the Policies Manager reported back on the first
     GPF/NEC meeting on 6 December 2007 where regions were invited to attend.
     At that meeting it was a agreed that a more uniformed approach across the
     regions should be taken when dealing with GPF bids. Within our Region it was TR
     agreed that more publicity should be distributed to branches about the benefits
     of the GPF fund.

     The written report was RECEIVED.

08/11 NATIONAL DELEGATE CONFERENCE:

     11.1 Scheme of Branch Representation.
     Noted - Nothing to report

     11.2 NDC Appeals Panel
     The Appeals Panel is made up of the Regional Convenor’s Group along with 3 KW
     other members. The Chair sought volunteers from the Committee. Michael
     Shepherd, Carol Sewell and Jenny Forbes volunteered.

     The quorum for the Appeals Panel is four.

     11.3 Draft 2008 National Delegate Conference Deadlines 2008
     Deadlines were noted

     The written report was RECEIVED.




                                                                               3
     REFERENCES FROM OTHER STANDING                           COMMITTEES/SERVICE ACTION
     GROUPS/SELF ORGANISED GROUPS/FORUMS:

     Following the Black Members Conference it has been agreed that 23 rd August
     will be a National Day of Remembrance for Slavery. Further information will be
     sent out from National.

     A request was made that the ‘Lesbian and Gay Members’ be changed to the KW
     correct title.

     OBJECTIVE 2:
     NEGOTIATING AND BARGAINING ON BEHALF OF MEMBERS AND
     PROMOTING EQUALITY

08/12 SINGLE STATUS/EQUAL PAY:

     The Policy Services Manager gave a verbal report to the Committee with the
     following salient points.

     Monies by the Equalities & Human Rights Commission have been withdrawn for
     the Stefan Cross Appeal.

     6 Local Authorities have been successful in their capitalisation bids out of the 46.
     The total figure released to the 6 Boroughs is in the region of £400m which
     needs to be spent in this financial year.

     COT3 have been taking place in several local authorities with Stoke using the
     compromise agreements. Dudley and Staffordshire are looking to do COT3
     signings but as yet no date has been set.

     The Birmingham case was adjourned at the request of ‘No Win No Fee’
     solicitors and has now been re-listed by our solicitors. A further 500 cases are
     to be lodged in Birmingham by UNISON.

     The Birmingham City Centre Rally on 12th January was very well attended with
     Keith Sonnett, Steve Beardsmore and Caroline Johnson speaking. UNISON
     received good media coverage including positive coverage from the Evening
     Mail.

     44% of Birmingham City staff have agreed to sign a new contract with 56%
     refusing. Members of UNISON, Unite, GMB and UCATT are currently being
     balloted with the closing date of 25th January. If a ‘yes’ vote if forthcoming then
     day of strike action will be Tuesday, 5th February.

     Equal Pay training will take place on the 30th January within the Region.

     The verbal written report was RECEIVED

     National Pay Seminar




                                                                                   4
      A written report was tabled at the meeting.                                      ACTION

      A working group has been set up nationally to look at funding in general and
      especially the equal pay costs. Regional convenors attending these work
      groups are requested to feed back to their Regional Committees.

      The written report was RECEIVED

      REFERENCES FROM OTHER STANDING COMMITTEES/SERVICE
      GROUPS/SELF ORGANISED GROUPS/FORUMS

      No references made

      OBJECTIVE 3:
      CAMPAIGNING AND PROMOTING UNISON ON BEHALF OF MEMBERS

08/13 REGIONAL TUC:

      Members of the TUC delegates met to agree motions.           Two motions were
      submitted, Affordable Housing and Organising.

      The Regional Secretary agreed to follow up on the issues raised in the report.   VB

      The written report was RECEIVED.

08/14 REGIONAL LABOUR LINK COMMITTEE:

      A query was raise about the distribution of the Regional Labour Link Forum TR
      papers for the meeting on the 25th January 2008. The Policy Services Manager
      will look into this issue.

      The written report was RECEIVED.

08/15 ANTI BNP STRATEGY AND FAR RIGHT CAMPAIGN:

      The Development Manager informed the Committee that Searchlight has
      requested the assistance of UNISON to work alongside them in the lead up to
      the general election.

      The written report was RECEIVED.

08/16 SAMAR AND JAWAD:

      The written report was RECEIVED

08/17 CUBA VISIT:




                                                                                 5
        The Regional Education Officer addressed the meeting. In the spring of 2008 ACTION
        the Cuban Solidarity Campaign has arranged to send a Young Workers Brigade
        to Cuba. UNISON is requesting to send 5 young members on this trip.
        Application forms have already been distributed to young members and
        branches. The deadline for receipt of applications is 8th February 2008.

        A bid for £5,000 has been submitted to the GPF to fund a film of the trip to Cuba
        to show an example of the solidarity work being carried out and also as a useful
        education tool.

        REFERENCES FROM OTHER STANDING COMMITTEES/SERVICE
        GROUPS/SELF ORGANISED GROUPS/FORUMS:

        Communications and Campaigning Committee                                       TR
        Regional News sheet Team – The Policy Services Manager reported that only 2
        nominations (both men) had been received. He will draft another letter seeking
        more nominations.

        OBJECTIVE 4;
        DEVELOPING AN EFFICIENT AND EFFECTIVE UNION:

08/18   REGIONAL FINANCE SECRETARY’S REPORT:

        Budget figures were circulated to the Committee

        No written report was RECEIVED.

08/19   REGIONAL OPERATIONAL PLAN 2008:

        The Development Manager reported that the two spreadsheets circulated were VG
        the Framework for success/key performance indicators which have been
        introduced by National and the Region’s 2008 targets. These spreadsheets will
        be combined and re-circulated.

        The Regional Operational Plan was RECEIVED

        REFERENCES FROM OTHER STANDING COMMITTEES/SERVICE
        GROUPS/SELF ORGANISED GROUPS/FORUMS:

        No references received.

08/20 ANY OTHER BUSINESS PREVIOUSLY NOTIFIED TO THE CHAIR OR
      SECRETARY:

        No other business

08/21 MEETING DATES FOR 2008:

                     Thursday 20 March, Thursday 22 May, Monday 29 September




                                                                                   6
The meetings will be held in Livery Street at 10.30am.       ACTION

Signed (Chair)…………………………………….Date………………………




                                                         7

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:4
posted:12/2/2011
language:English
pages:7