This is an agreement between a website designer and a client. The client engages the
services of the designer to design a website as specified under “Schedule A” of this
agreement. In addition, this agreement includes the payment schedule, due dates, and
additional fees. This document contains numerous standard provisions that are
commonly included in these types of agreements, and may be customized to fit the
specific needs of the contracting parties. This document can be used by website
designers or by small businesses that want to expand their business by creating a
Website Design Agreement
This AGREEMENT (“Agreement”) is dated and in effect as of _____________, _______,
_______ (the “Effective Date”) by and between _______________ (the “Client”) and
____________________ (“Web Designer”).
A. Designer is in the business of website design;
B. Client desires to retain Web Designer to design a website for Client (the “Work”).
In consideration of the foregoing premises and the mutual covenants set forth in this Agreement
and other valuable considerations, the parties hereto agree as follows:
1. DESCRIPTION OF WORK: The Work that is required of Web Designer by Client is
described on Exhibit A hereto.
2. PAYMENT SCHEDULE: The term of this contract is as follows: The starting date is
_________ and the estimated completion date is _________, for the total amount of
___________ ($_____) Dollars.
Client shall pay Web Designer ____________ ($_____) Dollars, as a deposit for project
commencement upon execution of this Agreement. The balance of ____________ ($_____)
Dollars is due on the completion date, and shall be paid prior to file relinquishment by Web
Designer or upload and/or assembly of the website on Client's web server.
3. DUE DATES: Web Designer agrees to deliver drafts of design of the Work on such dates as
are set forth on Exhibit A. Web Designer shall use its best efforts to meet the agreed upon due
dates. Client acknowledges that it is aware that failure to submit the required information or
materials might cause delays in the production, which could result in significant delays in
delivery of the finished Work.
4. FEES & ADDITIONAL SERVICES: Changes in Client input or direction or excessive
changes will be charged at _____________ ($_____) Dollars for each ___________. Any work
the Client directs Web Designer to create, which is not specified in the DESCRIPTION OF
WORK section of this Agreement, or in Exhibit A, will be considered an additional service. Such
Work may require a separate agreement and payment separate from and above that specified in
5. EXPENSES: Client agrees to reimburse Web Designer for any expenses necessary in
completion of the Work including, without limitation: Fonts, Messengers, Proofs, Props,
Research, Shipping, Software, Stock photography, Travel, Telephone Consultation.
6. ASSIGNMENT OF WORK: Web Designer reserves the right to assign other qualified
designers or subcontractors to the Work to ensure quality and on-time completion.
© Copyright 2013 Docstoc Inc. registered document proprietary, copy not 2
7. RESERVATION OF RIGHTS: All rights not expressly granted hereunder are reserved to
Web Designer, including, without limitation, all rights in sketches, drafts, or other preliminary
8. PERMISSIONS AND RELEASES: Client agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Web
Designer, and its officers, directors, employees and agents against any and all claims, costs, and
expenses, including attorney's fees, due to materials included in the Work at the request of the
Client for which no copyright permission or previous release was requested or uses which exceed
the uses allowed pursuant to a permission or release.
9. PUBLICATION: The Client may publish or disclose information regarding the Work and
shall acknowledge the support of Web Designer in all such publications. The Client shall not use
the name of Web Designer in any advertising or publicity without prior written approval of Web
Designer. Web Designer shall not use the name of Client in any advertising or publicity without
prior written approval of the Client.
10. COPYRIGHT NOTICE: Copyright of the Work is in Web Designer's name. Upon
completion of Work, the copyright shall be released to Client by execution of Release of
Copyright by Web Designer.
11. TERMINATION: Either party may terminate this Agreement by giving thirty (30) days
written notice to the other of such termination. In the event that Work is postponed or terminated
at the request of the Client, Web Designer shall have the right to bill, on a pro rata basis, for
work completed through the date of that request, while reserving all rights under this Agreement.
If additional payment is due, it shall be payable within thirty (30) days of the Client's written
notification to stop work. In the event of termination, the Client shall also pay any expenses
incurred by Web Designer and Web Designer shall own all rights to the Work.
12. LIABILITY: The Client and Web Designer are independent parties and nothing in this
Agreement shall constitute either party as the employer, principal or partner of or joint venture
with the other party. Neither the Client nor Web Designer has any authority to assume or create
any obligation or liability, either express or implied, on behalf of the other.
13. GOVERNING LAW: This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance
with the laws of the State of __________________ applicable therein.
14. ENTIRE AGREEMENT: This Agreement, and all exhibits hereto, along with any other