HYPOTHESIS WORKSHEET ANSWERS
NOTE: The answers below are indicate one possible correct answer. The hypotheses and questions can
be worded in multiple different ways.
Write a HYPOTHESIS for each of the following research question. Identify the dependent and
independent variable for each.
1. What effect does high temperature have on radish germination?
If temperature is increased, then radish germination will increase.
Independent variable: high temperature
Dependent variable: radish germination
2. What effect does studying with music have on student test scores?
If students study with music, then their test scores will increase.
Independent variable: studying with music
Dependent variable: student test scores
3. What effect does food color have on the amount of food fish eat?
If the color of their food is brown, then fish will eat more.
Independent variable: food color
Dependent variable: the amount of food fish eat
4. What effect does light have on plant growth?
If plants receive more light, then they will grow taller.
Independent variable: light
Dependent variable: plant growth
5. What effect does smiling have on teacher giving no homework?
If students smile, then the teacher will give no homework.
Independent variable: smiling
Dependent variable: teacher giving no homework
Write a QUESTION for each of the following hypotheses. Identify the dependent and independent
variable for each.
6. If plants are watered, then growth height will increase.
What is the effect of watering plants on their growth height?
Independent variable: watering plants
Dependent variable: growth height
7. If chocolate is given to teachers, then amount of homework will decrease.
Does giving chocolate to teachers decrease the amount of homework?
Independent variable: giving chocolate to teachers
Dependent variable: amount of homework
8. If trees have leaves, then bird nests will increase.
Does the presence of leaves on trees affect the number of birds nests?
Independent variable: leaves on trees
Dependent variable: number of bird nests
9. If acid rain is in water, then fish population will increase.
Does acid rain in water affect the fish population?
Independent variable: acid rain in water
Dependent variable: fish population
10. If calcium is given, then bone strength will increase.
Does intake of calcium affect bone strength?
Independent variable: calcium intake
Dependent variable: bone strength