Your Federal Quarterly Tax Payments are due April 15th Get Help Now >>

Minutes � October 7th Plenary, 2007 by R85F9E2

VIEWS: 8 PAGES: 5

									                      Minutes – December 9th Plenary, 2007
                     Minutes by N. Ferrara, Recording Secretary
Agenda
Check-ins
Approve Minutes
Outside Business
- Honors at Graduation
Decisions
- Bylaw amendments
- Online Student Directories
- SFC Chairmanship and Student Activity Fee
- ResEd Forum
- Committees
- Referendum
Discussion
- Referendum Contingencies
- Next Plenary
- Working Groups
Check-outs

Attendance
Nancy Nguyen (facilitating)
Daniel Abramson
Justin Brogden
David Casserly
Ben Klebanoff
Nick Ferrara
Sara Green
Louis Grube
Ian Hilburger
Colin Jones
Kate Riley
Luke Squire
Marc Shinn-Krantz
Andrew Watiker

Also attending
Alex Birnie, SFC member
Joshua Curtis, EPPC member
Shozo Kawaguchi, Assistant Dean of Students
Amir Starr Weg
Chris Hamby, Oberlin Review Photographer
Minutes
Check-ins
7:09 - Senators check in.

Approve Minutes
7:17 - Process proposal by Nick Ferrara to approve the minutes from December 2nd;
approved.

Outside Business
Honors at Graduation
7:17 – Joshua Curtis discussed the tabling of the Honors at Graduation motion at the
College Faculty meeting, suggesting that further work will continue and suggesting
Senators should participate in work on this matter. He reviewed some of the rationale
behind Latin Honors and the issues regarding honors and GPA.
7:19 – Proposal by Ben Klebanoff (1) to create a Working Group on Latin Honors at
Graduation.
7:26 – Proposal (1) passed, 13-0-0.

Decisions
Bylaw Amendments
7:29 – Nick Ferrara introduced proposals to revise the bylaws to change the way agendas
are structured and online voting occurs.
7:28 - Proposal by Nick Ferrara (2) to revise the “Agenda” subsection of the “Recording
Secretary” section of the bylaws
7:28 - Proposal by Nick Ferrara (3) to revise the “Online Voting” section of the Student
Senate Plenary Rules.
7:32 – Amendment by Marc Shinn-Krantz to (3) to make online votes be ballot votes.
7:34 – Proposal (2) passed, 13-0-0.
7:35 – Proposal by Colin Jones (4) to require online votes to be unanimous.
7:42 – Process suggestion by Daniel Abramson to table this issue; approved. Proposals
(3) and (4) tabled.

Online Student Directories
7:41 - Proposal by Nick Ferrara (5) to adopt a resolution changing the format of email
addresses in the Oberlin Online Student Directories.
7:42 – Proposal (5) passed, 13-0-0.

SFC Chairmanship and Student Activity Fee
7:43 – Colin Jones noted that in the SFC constitution there is a position of co-chair for
SFC. Senate discussed the technicalities of the Student Constitution, the SFC
Constitution, bylaws, and other documents in terms of their overlap and conflict. Dean
Kawaguchi noted that changes to the printed Constitution would have only occurred after
written communication by Student Senate.
7:50 – Proposal by Ben Klebanoff (6) to create a working group to investigate which
student Constitution is valid and affirm the interpretation of SFC chair in the bylaws.
7:55 – Proposal by David Casserly (7) to create a working group to investigate which
Student Constitution is valid.
8:02 – Proposal (6) withdrawn.
8:02 – Proposal (7) passes, 14-0-0.
8:03 – Colin Jones brought up the process behind changes to the Student Activity Fee.
8:18 – Proposal by Andrew Watiker (8) to add a Working Group section to the agenda in
the bylaws.
8:20 – Proposal by Ben Klebanoff (9) to create a Working Group on the Student Activity
Fee and have a proposal on this matter no later than the second week of February.
8:23 – Proposal (9) passed, 14-0-0. Senators who will be part of this group will be David
Casserly, Ben Klebanoff, Luke Squire, Andrew Watiker, and Colin Jones (chair).
8:24 – Proposal (8) passed, 13-0-1.

ResEd Forum
8:25 – Marc Shinn-Krantz noted that the ResEd forum on Wednesday was cancelled due
to the weather.
8:26 – Proposal (10) by Marc Shinn-Krantz to have a forum on ResEd with in the first
few weeks of the next semester.
8:27 – Proposal (10) passed 14-0-0.

Committees
8:28 – Andrew Watiker stated there are two candidates for committees:
- Evan White, Housing and Dining
- Peter Steffy, EPPC

Housing and Dining
8:29 – Andrew Watiker noted that Evan White is a second-year who has been the head of
Hall Council for two different dorms he is an undeclared major.

Educational Plans and Policy Committee (EPPC)
8:30 - Andrew Watiker noted that Peter Steffy is a fourth-year with an interest in
teaching. Peter Steffy had a number of suggestions about General Honors that he wanted
to work on; he is a Sociology major.
8:30 - Proposal by Andrew Watiker (11) to appoint Evan White to the Housing and
Dining Committee.
8:35 – Proposal by Andrew Watiker (12) to appoint Peter Steffy to EPPC.
8:38 – Proposal (11) passed, 14-0-0.
8:48 – Proposal (13) by David Casserly to table this issue.
8:50 – Approval voting on mutually exclusive (12) and (13): order will be (13), (12).
8:51 – Proposal (13) passes 8-6-0; proposal (12) tabled.

Referendum
8:51 - Proposal (14) by Ben Klebanoff to create a group to affirm the results of the
Referendum including Dean Kawaguchi, the Liaison, and two Senators at large to be
assigned by Senate and to recognize that quorum is 50% of the student body and that
questions will be affirmed if there are at least 50% voting in the affirmative.
8:58 – Amendment by Daniel Abramson to (14) to appoint Kate Riley and Ian Hilburger
as the Senators at large in this group.
8:59 - Amendment by Nick Ferrara to (14) to appoint Nick Ferrara to the group of
Senators at large.
9:05 – Senate discussed the constitutional and bylaw requirements for Referenda and how
the Referendum would deal with students who graduate if the Referendum should
continue beyond the end of the semester.
9:07 – Proposal (15) by Daniel Abramson to create a group to present the results of the
Referendum including Dean Kawaguchi, the Liaison, and two Senators at large to be
assigned by Senate, and to recognize that quorum is 50% of the student body and that
questions will be affirmed if there are at least 50% voting in the affirmative, and have the
Senate affirm the results.
9:09 – Proposal (15) withdrawn.
9:09 - Proposal (14) passed 9-0-4.
9:10 – Ben Klebanoff also noted that there were problems with the Green Fund question.
9:10 – Proposal by Ben Klebanoff (16) that once the referendum reaches quorum and if
the Green Fund question passes that Senate release a question to be considered for three
days by the student body with a sliding scale as to how much students want to pay,
accepting the range from the top down that accounts for 50% of responses.
9:16 – Amendment by Ben Klebanoff to (16) such that if the three days of this question
would fall into Reading Period then Senate will wait until next semester to have this
question.
9:17 – Proposal (16) passes, 11-0-3.

Discussion
Referendum Contingencies
9:18 - Louis Grube wanted to discuss the implications of the Referendum and strategy.

Next Plenary
9:46 – Proposal by Colin Jones (17) to have a meeting this week.
9:46 – Proposal by Marc Shinn-Krantz (18) to have an optional meeting this week.
9:46 – Proposal by Andrew Watiker (19) to have a meeting this week with half penalties.
9:47 – Proposal (19) withdrawn.
9:48 – Amendment to Marc Shinn-Krantz to (17) to add check-ins, approval of the
agenda, approval of minutes, referendum, committees (EPPC), working groups, and
check-outs to the agenda.
9:49 – Amendment by Ben Klebanoff to (17) to make next meeting mandatory only if
referendum is completed.
9:51 - Proposal (18) withdrawn.
9:51 – Proposal (17) passed, 11-1-2.

Working Groups
9:52 – Senate determined the membership of the following Working Groups:
- Latin Honors: Daniel Abramson, Nick Ferrara, and Marc Shinn-Krantz (chair).
- Constitutionality: Justin Brogden, Nick Ferrara, Colin Jones, Marc Shinn-Krantz, Ben
Klebanoff (chair)
Check-outs
9:56 – Senators check out. Goals for next week
- Nancy Nguyen will work on Committees.
- Nick Ferrara will do minutes and submit the bylaw amendments to be added to bylaws.
- Andrew Watiker will work on Committees.
- Luke Squire will work on updating bylaws.
- Kate Riley will work on quorum.
- Daniel Abramson will work on referendum publicity.
- Colin Jones will meet with SFC.
- Justin Brogden will work on Governance chair stuff.
- Ian Hilburger will work on referendum turnout, aiming for 100%.
- Marc Shinn-Krantz will attend Committee interviews.
- Sara Green will turn in overdue time cards.

								
To top