Name: __________________ p. ___
“The Raven”—Edgar Allan Poe
1. What is the overall effect of Poe’s poem? What details from the story of the poem contribute to the
2. Find examples of the following POEetic devices:
Alliteration (repetition of consonant sounds at the beginning of words)
Assonance (repetition of vowel sounds)
Consonance (repletion of consonant sounds within or at the ends of words)
Internal rhymes (rhymes within a line of poetry)
Onomatopoeia (words that reflect the sound the word represents, EX: snap, crackle, pop)
How do the sound devices contribute to the creation of Poe’s single effect?
3. What is the speaker’s emotional state at the beginning of the poem? Give supporting examples.
4. a) With what emotion does the speaker first greet the Raven?
b) During the course of the poem, how does the speaker’s attitude toward the Raven change? Identify
c) In what way is the word “Nevermore” related to these emotional changes?
5. What is the relationship between the Raven’s shadow and the speaker’s soul at the end of the poem?
What does the Raven represent?
6. What aspects of Gothic style are present in “The Raven”?
CREATE A NEW TITLE FOR THIS PIECE BESIDES “Nevermore”!!