1. Define naturalism (you can reference your scavenger hunt).
2. How can characters in Naturalism stories be studied?
3. What are the two tensions commonly seen in a Naturalistic story?
4. What types of characters are normally depicted in a Naturalism piece?
5. Briefly state and summarize the 5 main themes of Naturalism.
6. What do the two Crane quotes suggest about Naturalism?
7. Determinism is the inability to express free will. How does determinism play into the themes of
8. A plot of decline is another key element of Naturalism in which we follow the character’s
retrogression toward degeneration or death. How does this play into the themes of Naturalism?
9. Why do you think this story is titled “The Mystery of Heroism”?
10. How is heroism defined in the story?
How does Crane’s view of the soldiers compare to Whitman’s view of the soldiers (use quotes from each
story to support your response)?
When finished with this worksheet, use the remaining time to read London’s “To Build a Fire”. As you
read, write down 7 quotes that are indicative of Naturalism. For each quote, briefly explain how that
quotes shows us a look into Naturalism.