PROGRAMMING ASSIGNMENT 1
PHP AUTO GROUP WEB SITE
Point Value: If turned in on time, the total maximum number of points for this assignment is 40.
If it is turned in late the maximum number of points will be 32.
Due Date: The assignment is due on -
Get you up and running with PHP
Create HTML pages and use PHP
Use <?php ?> delimiters to implement php code
Use <script> tags to implement php code
Use CSS to style a page
Insert script into the HTML document
Create and use internal or external styles in web page
Add php comments
* Send instructor an E-mail stating that you have received and read the course syllabus.
o Send an E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 11PM on the due date. E-mails received after 11PM will
be considered as a late submission of the assignment and will have points deducted.
o Send a copy of the E-mail to yourself to ensure that it was sent OK.
o The subject of the E-mail must be LastName, FirstName – Assignment Number #. (E-mails with different
subject lines may not be graded.)
o The E-mail message should state that you are submitting Assignment Number.
o Create an automatic hyperlink to the URL for your assignment.
o Create a Word document with the printed code for the assignment. (Not a .txt document because it will not open
and display the code.) Include a link to this page.
o Be sure to include the http://, in the link. If the URL does not include the http:// and can not be opened, the
assignment will not be graded. This could cause the assignment to be LATE.
o NOTE: A good alternative would be to create an Assignment web page on your web site with links to the
What should be turned-in if web site is not set up: (This will be the only assignment handed-in in class)
1. A printout of your code and a screenshot of your web page at runtime pasted into Word and printed from there
2. Name the project file using your last name (YourLastName_Assignment Number Schuster_Assignment 1)
3. A disk with the source code in a subdirectory A:\YourLastName_Assignment Number (the drive letter may differ if
you are using a zip disk).
4. The above items must be in a 9 x 12 clasp or tie envelope with your name on the front.
5. Your project and/or email must have the url of the server where the web file is located.
When creating the new project, include your last name in the Name. See below: Assignment1_Schuster.php
The program must open and run without errors with the correct, required output.
Program documentation must be as follows:
1. In the <head> section of the HTML document , use <script> tag to add Multi-line comment to describe
the project. Include the following information.
Web Programming Assignment 1 - Page 1
Programmer: YourFirstName YourLastName
Assignment Number: Name of project
Date: [ enter due date ]
Program Description: Write a short description
Known Bugs:In that case use Known Bugs: None)
3. All script and HTML code should comply with XHTML standards. (e.g. All tags must have
proper closing tags and must be properly nested. <script> some code </script>
The interface must use good design techniques
The program must be virus free.
1. This program will be a web page for PHP Auto Group to demonstrate printing a web page using PHP.
2. The title tag on the page must be Assignment Number by FirstName LastName .
3. Use CSS for
1. body color - #FFFFCC
2. h2 tags - green
3. horizontal rule - red
4. h3 tags blue
5. Message – Call us or stop by our shop today! – centered and underlined.
4. The first heading and paragraph should use the ‘echo’ statement.
5. The paragraph beginning – “We have some of the most skilled … “ Use a Here Document statement.
6. The paragraph beginning – “PHP Auto Care Center is a member …. “ Should be HTML.
7. Inside of <script> tags the remainder of the text.
8. For the store hours use the “print” statement.
9. For the Forms of Payment area use a Here Document statement.
1. Submit Hardcopies:
o Print copies of the code using Landscape Orientation (it makes long lines of code easier to read.)
o Create a screen shot of your program at runtime. (Alt-Print Screen). Paste it into Word and print it.
o Assemble the program with the screen shot on top followed by the code.
Web Programming Assignment 1 - Page 2
Top of Page:
Web Programming Assignment 1 - Page 3
Web Programming Assignment 1 - Page 4
Heading: We Do Business the Old-Fashioned Way We Earn It!
Para 1: PHP Auto Care Center has been serving the needs of customers since 1994. PHP Auto has withstood many changes in the
automobile industry and it remains owned and under the same family leadership which our customers have come to expect.
Para 2: We have some of the most skilled craftsmen in the industry. These craftsmen take pride in their work and meticulously
restore interiors to their virtually original condition. PHP Auto Care Center technicians can customize your interior to your
specifications. We have even installed a hot tub into a 1966 T-Bird convertible! To learn more about our services, please visit our
Para 3: Call us or stop by our shop today!
Para 4: PHP Auto Care Center is a member of the Regional Chamber of Commerce and local Better Business Bureau.
Para 5: Where Customers Become Our Friends!
Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday 8:30 am to 5:00pm
Saturday 8:30 am to 11:30am
Forms of Payment (hint: use an unordered list <ul> )
Web Programming Assignment 1 - Page 5
Assignment 1 PHP Auto Group page
Criteria Description Possible Actual Comments
Email sent to instructor that syllabus was read. 5
Title on page is correct. 2
Document program in head section in comment tags. 2
Body of page has yellow background. 2
Heading on page, written in PHP. (echo ) 3
Use of the “Here document” construct. (echo ) 3
Use of HTML. 2
Use of <script> tags. 3
Use of “print” construct for store hours. 3
Here document used for the forms of payment section. 3
CSS styles were used to format the page display. 4
Code page was well formed, comments used, readable and 3
Word document with extension .doc contains the printed code 5
Late deduction -8
Web Programming Assignment 1 - Page 6