AP - Chapter 17 Study Guide
1. What new methods were developed for the large-scale production of durable
steel? What was the relationship between the steel industry and the railroads?
2. What lead to the rise of the oil industry?
3. Describe the emergence of organized corporate research and its impact on
American economic development. What role did universities play in this process?
4. How did the railroad transform America economically and ecologically?
5. Explain the new approach to management including “Taylorism” and business
organization that accompanied the rise of large corporations. What industries led
in these developments?
6. Compare and contrast the vertical and horizontal integration strategies of
business combinations. Which approaches did Andrew Carnegie and John D.
Rockefeller use initially? Why did they evolve toward using both strategies?
7. Define each and explain how financiers and industrialists used pools, trusts, and
holding companies to expand their control. What was the result of this trend
toward corporate combination?
8. How did popular culture keep alive the "rags-to-riches" and myth of "self-
made man" hopes of the American masses? How realistic were such dreams?
9. Explain how the theories of Social Darwinism and classical economics
complemented each other. Who formulated those theories? How did the great
industrialists embody such concepts?
10. What were the visible symptoms that many Americans blamed on the trend
11. Contrast the earlier immigrants to the United States with those who dominated
after the 1880s. What attracted these migrants? What tensions ensued?
12. What happened to the standard of living of the average worker in the late 19c?
What physical hardships and psychological adjustments did many workers face?
13. Why did industry increasingly employ women and children? How ere they
treated? What attitudes toward working women were exhibited by many adult male
workers and their unions?
14. Why did the AFL succeed, while the Knights of Labor disappeared by the end
of the 19c? What factors combined to help explain why organized labor remained
relatively weak before World War I?
AP - Chapter 17 Study Guide
1. Bessemer Process 5. J. Pierpont Morgan 10. Lester Frank Ward
Henry Bessemer & William Horizontal & Vertical 11. Henry George
George Bissel & Edwin 6. J.D. Rockefeller & 12. Edward Bellamy –
Drake Standard Oil Looking Backward
2. Henry Ford Trusts 13. National Labor Union &
3. Orville & Wilber Wright Holding Company 14. The Great Railroad
Taylorism & Scientific Myth of the Self-Made Man 15. The Knights of Labor
Thomas Edison Social Darwinsm 16. American Federation of
Assembly Line Herbert Spencer & William 17. Haymarket Square Riot
Cornelius Vanderbilt 7. The Gospel of Wealth 18. The Homestead Strike
“Limited Liability” 8. Russell Conwell Henry Clay Frick
4. Andrew Carnegie 9. Horatio Alger 19. The Pullman Strike &