Ref: “Shiva Swarodaya” (Original Sanskrit
“Swarayoga” – Swami Muktibodhananda
under the direct guidance of Swami
Yoga Vidya Gurukul
What is Swara Yoga?
• Ancient, closely guarded, esoteric science
• Origins in the Tantras
• One text – ‘Shivaswaroday’ – dialogue between
Shiva & Parvati
• Swara – continuous sound
• Science of breath, prana, its rhythms,
movements and patterns
• Talks of relationship between prana and cosmic
• Science of Siddhis or ESP
Science & Swara Yoga
• Body – Dynamo with infinite electrical
• Kirlian Photography & Prana
• Breath – controls many autonomic &
• Nose – Peripheral organ of the autonomic
Prana & emotions
• Thoughts and prana travel through the
• Emotions affect the breath.
• Examples -
Advantages of Swara Yoga
• Fighting wars, Overcome enemy, winning
• Gaining wealth, prosperity, popularity
• Winning favor of king,
• Knowledge of past, present & future
• Achieving sound mental, physical &
• Swara in Daily Life
Swara or Nostrils
Left nostril Right nostril
Ida nadi Pingala nadi
Mental energy Physical energy
Right brain Left brain
Relaxation Stress response
Considered auspicious Hard, tough, not so virtuous
Acts to be performed
• Left • Right
• All auspicious acts • Extreme tantra tech.
• Stable, permanent • Destroying enemies
actions • Sensual pleasures
• Purchasing jewelry, • Work requiring extreme
clothes, journey etc dynamism,
• Construction of house • physical work
• Offices, temple etc. • Solving Mathematics,
• Marriages, religious • Eating, gratifying senses
rights, peaceful work • Meanest & worst actions
• Treating incurable
Third Swara Sushumna
• Center of the spinal cord
• Shiva in So-Ham
• Left & right swara flows together
• No worldly action recommended, work
gives no result
• Non attachment
• Meditation recommended
How nostrils work?
• Nostrils change every 1 to 3 hours, from
left nostril for 1 to 3 hours to right nostril
for 1 to 3 hours again to left
• A healthy rhythm, is 1 ½ hours.
• Linked with the sun and moon phases.
• When both nostrils are active – Sushumna
nadi is active
• Get up before sunrise for better physical and mental
• Waking – check which nostril is most active and move
that side first.
• Yoga & exercise
• Eating food
• Mental work – left nostril
• Physical work – right nostril
• Enjoyment – parties, movies, get together
Interactions & Relationships
• Left nostril – peaceful and friendly
• Right nostril – aggressive and forceful
• Relationships & nostrils
• What you eat affects swaras or nostril rhythms.
• Right – proper hunger and digestive stimulation.
• Left – depressive – can increase or decrease
hunger in an unnatural way.
• Cold – milk, banana, curd, guava (stimulate left)
• Hot – spices, ginger, garlic (right)
How to change the nostrils.
• Anuloma Viloma / Alternate nostril breath for 10
– 15 min.
• Place cotton wool in left nostril to block it –
turns on right nostril.
• Hand under left armpit and press for 5 min to
turn on right nostril.
• Sleep on left side to turn on right nostril.
• Same nostril breathing will turn the nostril on.
• Can predict and prevent disturbances in health.
• To maintain health, balance the nostrils.
• Stress – balance both the nostrils
• Depression & anxiety – activate more right
• Anger & aggression – activate left nostril
• If a cold is coming – left is more active. To
prevent it activate right.
• Migraine – change nostril.
• Heatstroke – switch on left nostril.