Renaissance/Reformation Study Guide
1. What is a self portrait?
2. Where did Jan van Eyck live? What are some of the characteristics
of his paintings?
3. Where did Albrecht Durer live? What kinds of art did he like to
4. Where was Bruegel from? For what kind of pictures is he best
5. What is polyphony?
6. How did people’s attitudes about music change during the
7. What was the single most important change to happen to music
during the Renaissance?
8. What were two instruments that were popular during the
9. What does star-cross’d mean?
10. What does it mean to say that someone is “quixotic,” and where does
the word come from?
11. Name two kinds of literary works that Shakespeare wrote?
12.Name two of Shakespeare’s plays.
13.How were books made during the Middle Ages?
14.Why was Gutenberg’s method of printing called “movable type”?
15.In what language were most of Gutenberg’s early books printed, and
how did that change over time?
16.What was the first book Gutenberg printed?
17.Why were some government and church officials worried about
18. What was the Reformation, and when did it begin?
19.What were indulgences, and why was the Pope selling them?
20.What were the Ninety-Five Theses, and what led Luther to write
21.What is a papal bull, and what did Luther do with his papal bull?
22.What happened at the Diet of Worms?
23. How did Protestants and Catholics get along in the years after Luther
started the Reformation?
24. What is Calvin’s idea of predestination?
25. Why did Henry VIII break from the Catholic Church, and what was the
26. What was the Counter Reformation, and what were its three main
27. What was the Index of the Forbidden Books?
28. Who formed the Society of Jesus? What were the goals of the
Society? How did the Jesuits live?
29.What was the difference between the geocentric and heliocentric
30. In the Middle Ages, which theory about the universe did people
believe, the heliocentric theory or the geocentric theory?
31. Who was Capernicus, and why did he keep quiet about his ideas?
32. Galileo’s observations of the solar system supported which theory of
the universe, the heliocentric or the geocentric?
33.What did the Inquisition decide about Galileo’s teachings, and how
did he respond?