1. What substance abuse problem does Farmer
2. Where are the animals gathering, and why?
3. Name two other animals at the meeting?
4. What does Old Major call the other animals?
5. According the speaker, “Man is the only beast
who consumes without _____?
6. What is the Old Major encouraging the animals
7. Old Major’s rules to the animals:
Chapter 1 cont.
8. Point of View:
10. (pg. 4-5) Direct/Indirect characterization
12. Example of a simile:
13. Example of alliteration:
14. What is it called when animals are given
1. What happens to Old Major?
2. How does the narrator describe Squealer?
3. What name do the pigs give to Old Major’s
system of thought?
4. How do the animals feel about Moses? Why
do they feel this way?
5. What finally causes the rebellion?
• What part of Russian history does this resemble?
6. What do the animals do after they chase the
humans from the farm?
7. What do the animals do about the farmhouse?
8. What disappears at the end of the chapter?
9. List the Seven Commandments of Animalism.
1. How do the pigs “help” the harvest?
2. What animal is admired the most?
3. What it his slogan?
4. Which two animals are not good workers?
5. Which animal doesn’t seem to change at all after the
6. List the three things that happen during a Sunday
7. Draw the Animal Farm flag and the Communist Flag
8. Who never agree on anything?
9. Who forms animal committees?
10. How well could the following animals read and write?
3. Benjamin &Muriel:
4. Boxer and Clover:
5. Sheep, Hens, & Ducks:
Chapter 3 cont.
11. Who condenses the Seven Commandments
into one? What is the maxim? Which animals
repeat it for hours?
12. Who took the puppies to “educate” them?
Why are they isolated?
13. What actually happened to the milk and
apples? How does Squealer explain it?
14. What does Squealer say will happen if the pigs
fail in their duties?
15. How does the disappearance of the milk and
apples foreshadow certain events?
16. List how the animals are better off and worse
off since the rebellion.
1. How was word sent to animals on neighboring farms?
2. Name and describe the neighbors on either side of the
3. How did rebelliousness show itself on other farms?
4. Early in October, Jones and men from Foxwood and
Pinchfield attempt to take over Animal Farm. Who
warns the animals?
5. Who has been studying Julius Caesar’s campaign
strategies? What was he in charge of?
6. Describe the Battle of the Cowshed.
7. Who said, “the only good human is a dead one”?
8. Who is discovered missing? Where was she found?
9. What military decorations were created? Who
10. What are the anniversary dates of the rebellion and the
Battle of the Cowshed?
Commandments five-pound notes whiskey
timber Mr. Frederick paintbrush
faulty memories windmill Leader
Commandments five-pound notes Whiskey
• Altered: “no killing • What Frederick paid • Pigs get drunk
without cause” for timber • Napoleon thinks he’s
• Altered: “will not • Forged; dying (hungover)
drink to excess” foreshadowed
Timber Mr. Frederick Paintbrush
• Napoleon went back • Decided to scam • Squealer found
and forth between Napoleon; bought lying in front of the
Frederick and timber with forged commandments with
Pilkington; decided notes a toppled ladder, a
Frederick • Attacked AF ; Boxer pot of paint, and a
faulty memories Windmill Leader
• The animals blame • Destroyed by • Napoleon officially
both of the altered Frederick and his going by “Leader,” as
commandments on men well as other
their memories • Napoleon says they ridiculous titles
1. Which animal is greatly weakened at this point in the
novel? How far away is his retirement?
2. What word does Squealer use to describe the reduced
3. How many children does Napoleon have? What does he
demand for them?
4. What is ironic about the pigs gaining weight?
5. What is a Spontaneous demonstration? What is its
6. Why is Napoleon elected President?
7. What other lie is spread about Snowball in this chapter?
8. What happens to Boxer while pulling stone?
9. What do the pigs say they will do for Boxer? How is this
discovered to be a lie?
10. How does Squealer ease the animals’ minds about
11. What shipment do the pigs receive at the end of this
1. How much time has passed since the last
2. How do the pigs and the dogs live compared to
the rest of the animals? Are the animals happy?
3. How did Squealer change the sheep’s chant?
Why did he do this?
4. What is the only Commandment that is still written
on the wall? What does it say?
5. Name 5 things the pigs now do that humans do.
6. What is the irony of the book’s ending? What
message is Orwell trying to get across?