The Graduation Test / EOCT Review
Chapters 2 & 3 - Settlement & Colonization – AKS 30, 31, 32, 33
1. Fill in the below map with the 13 original British colonies.
2.Explain the Virginia Company. Joint
Stock Company to make a profit…
3.What agricultural product saved
4.What kind of relationship did the
Virginia settlers have with the Indians?
5.What caused Bacon’s Rebellion?
Indians attacking the settlers
6.List the New England colonies & the
religion in each. Puritans
7.What kind of relationship did the New
England settlers have with the Indians?
8.What was King Phillip’s War? Over
9.What was the Mayflower Compact?
First democracy in the New World—
law and order contract
10. What was the first constitution in the
Fundamental Orders of Connecticut
11. What was the colony of
Massachusetts suppose to be for the rest
of the world?
A City Upon a Hill--
12. Briefly explain the happenings of the
Salem Witch Trails. Unjust witch hunt
13. What led to the break up of the
Massachusetts’ colony & its’ charter?
Boston Tea Party
14. Who were the first to settle in the
Middle colonies, specifically present-day
New York? Dutch
15. What role did Peter Stuyvesant play
in the Middle colonies? Governor and
gave it to England.
16. Who settled in Pennsylvania & what
did William Penn want the colony to be?
Quakers / A Holy Experiment
17. What was different about the
settlements in New York &
Pennsylvania and the rest of the British
colonies in North America? Diversity
18. What did most French settlers do in
North America? Fur trappers / traders
19. Briefly explain New Spain. Find
gold & convert Indians to Catholics
20. Why was the colony of Georgia
founded? Buffer colony for the
21. Define mercantilism & the three
keys to it. 1. Establish colonies 2. Take
the resources 3. develop favorable
balance of trade
22. Explain triangular trade. Trade
route from Europe to Africa to New
23. What was the Middle Passage?
Slave travel to New World
24. Explain the culture that developed in
the slave community.
25. What was the significance of the
Great Awakening? Religious Revival
26. How did Benjamin Franklin embody
social mobility & individualism?
27. How did the end of the French &
Indian War lay the groundwork for the
American Revolution? The need to tax
the colonists to help pay for the cost
brought on bad feelings
28. How did the colonist respond to the;
Proclamation of 1763 Ignored it
Stamp Act –Protested the act
Boston Massacre----enraged the
Boston Tea Party---dumped tea into
response to the BTP.
29. What was the Committee of
Correspondence & why was it so
important? communication committee
30. What was the group Sons of Liberty
& why was it so important? Protesters
that caused violence against the tax
31. Explain the importance of the
Enlightenment to the movement toward
independence. Age of reason and
32. What was so important about
Thomas Paine’s Common Sense? It
attacked British monarchy &
33. Define salutary neglect and its
impact on colonial government. Britain
relaxing their rules & laws on the
colonists as long as the money was
pouring in-----self government
34. Where was the first major skirmish
between the British & colonists that
started the war? Lexington and
35. Explain the organization &
intellectual sources of the Declaration of
Independence. John Locke, Thomas
36. Who wrote the Declaration of
Independence? Thomas Jefferson
37. What was the importance of French
help in the American Revolution
important for the Patriots? A Navy
38. What was Valley Forge? Winter
encampment of colonial army
39. How was George Washington as a
military leader? great
40. What was the turning point of the
American Revolution? Saratoga
41. What battle ended the American
42. Give the details of The Treaty of
Paris 1783. Officially ended the
Chapters 5-7 A New Nation - AKS 34,
43. List the weaknesses in the Articles of
Confederation. No court system, no
executive, no bill of rights… could not
44. How did Shay’s Rebellion led to the
Constitutional Convention? This
uprising caused the leaders to think
45. Why did the delegates meet at the
Constitutional Convention? To revise
the Articles of Confederation
46. Explain the key features of the
The Great Compromise—solution
between large and small states---
Large states ---representation based
on population—small states—2
senators regardless of size.
separation of powers----executive---
carry out laws, judicial—
limited government—power of the
the power of the executive branch –
carry out laws---war executive
checks & balances—no one branch
gets control over the other two.. EX.
Presidents appoints judges and the
Senate has to approve them.
47. What were the major arguments the
anti-Federalists had against the
constitution? No guaranteed rights to
the people / No Bill of Rights
48. Who were the famous leaders of the
Federalists & anti-Federalist?
Alexander Hamilton--- Jefferson
49. How does the Bill of Rights serve as
a protector of individuals & states? All
50. Explain the presidencies of
Washington & Adams including;
Whiskey Rebellion---tax on
Whiskey—showed the government
had the power to tax and collect
Non-intervention in Europe--
XYZ Affair—US with France—
development of political parties—
Washington said, no for political
51. Compare Jefferson’s & Hamilton’s
visions for the United States. TJ said
farms and AH said big business.
52. Explain Hamilton’s financial plan for
the United States. Bank of the US
53. What role did Hamilton play in the
birth of the United States? Economic
54. What is important about Marbury v.
Madison? Judicial Review—the
Supreme Court has the power to
determine if a law is constitutional or
55. What was the Land Ordinance &
Northwest Ordinance and how did they
relate to westward migration? way to
divide the land of the west and set up
how to govern the land.
56. How did the U.S. come to get the
Louisiana Purchase? France—
Napoleon—finance a war with slaves
in Haiti. TJ believed in strict
57. Briefly describe the Louis & Clark
expedition. Map the land, collection of
animals and plants make contact with
58. Give the reasons for the War of
1812. Stop impressments and The
hawks wanting farm land in Canada.
59. Define nationalism. Pride in your
60. Define sectionalism. Division
between North / South
61. How did the War of 1812 bring
about nationalism & sectionalism in the
U.S.? called second war of
62. Describe the construction of the Erie
Canal, New York City, and the
development of the nation’s
infrastructure. Canal allowed trade
63. What does the Monroe Doctrine state
& what is its importance? No European
countries can colonize in the western
hemisphere... Policeman of the world
64. What impact did Eli Whitney’s
inventions, the cotton gin &
interchangeable parts have on the
Industrial Revolution in the U.S.?
Increase for slaves
65. Describe the reform movements
of the 1800s, including;
Abolition movement (W. Garrison)
Women’s suffrage (E. Stanton)
right to vote
Public school reform (H. Mann)
Schools with paid teachers and
66. What convention marked the
beginning of the women’s rights
movement? Seneca Falls
67. Who was Elizabeth Cady
Stanton? Leader of women’s
68. Explain Jacksonian democracy.
Right to vote was relaxed…
Males, land ownership, common
69. What was the term given to the
way Jackson put his friends in
political positions? Spoils Systems
70. How did Jackson fight the
Second Bank of the U.S.? Let it
71. What was the agenda of The
American Party (aka The Know
Nothing Party)? Nativism
(American born only)
Chapters 9-12 Expansion & a
Divided Nation AKS 36,37,38, 39
72. How did slavery become a
major issue in politics during the
1800s leading up to the Civil War?
New territories were forming...
73. Who was Nat Turner & what
did he do? Slave and a revolt.
74. Explain the rise of the abolition
W. Garrison---white man with
F. Douglass—former slave-great
the significance of Uncle Tom’s
Cabin Harriett Beecher
Stowe—showed the ills of
75. Define popular sovereignty.
People of a state decide to be free
76. What does the term free soiler
mean? Land without slaves
77. What was John C. Calhoun’s
role in sectionalism? VP of US
believed in States’ Rights
78. How did western expansion led
to the Civil War? People moving
into newly formed territories
79. Define Manifest Destiny. Belief
the US was destined to reach
from ―Sea to shining sea‖
80. What brought a population
boom to California in 1849? Gold
81. Briefly summarize the
Mexican-American War. US
wanted to buy land from Mexico
and Mexico refused… So, we
took the land.
82. What was the significance of
the Dred Scott case? SC under
Roger Taney said, Scott could
not sue because he is property.
83. Explain both the;
agreements in 1820-1821 to
make balance of power between
free and slave states.
Compromise of 1850---series of
Congressional measures intended
to settle major disagreements
between Free states and slave
84. What impact did John Brown’s
raid on Harper’s Ferry have on the
south? Led to the beginning of
the Confederate Army
85. Explain the Kansas-Nebraska
Act. Slavery to be voted on by
86. Who was the first republican
87. Give examples of how Lincoln
did his best to preserve the union--
88. What were the strengths &
weaknesses of the North & South
in the Civil War? Janica
89. Identify the military strategies
of both the North & South in the
Civil War. Ms Esson
90. Describe the roles the following
men played in the Civil War;
Robert E. Lee—Confederate
Thomas ―Stonewall‖ Jackson—
Lee’s right hand man
Jefferson Davis—president of
Ulysses S Grant—Commander
of the Union forces
91. What was the turning point in
the Civil War? Gettysburg
92. What was the significance of
the Emancipation Proclamation?
Freed slaves in states in rebellion
93. What is the significance of
Appomattox? Lee surrendered to
94. Explain the impeachment of
President Johnson. KG
95. Who were the Radical
Republicans & how was
Reconstruction run under their
96. Define the Freedmen’s Bureau.
Aid organization for freed slaves
97. What is the significance of the
13th, 14th, and 15th amendments?
98. Explain resistance to racial
equality during Reconstruction.
99. Explain the economic disparity between the North & South after the Civil War.
100. Describe the political corruption after the Civil War, such as the Tweed
Chapters 11-18 The late 1800s to World War I AKS – 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
101. What impact did the railroad have on the west & big business?
102. What is a robber baron?
John D. Rockefeller – Standard Oil
Andrew Carnegie – Steel
103. What is the difference between a monopoly & a trust?
104. Describe the following inventions & the impact they made;
105. Describe Ellis Island. Immigration center on the east coast
106. Where were most immigrants coming into the U.S. coming from between
107. Explain the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882.
108. What were the effects of increased urbanization at the turn of the 20th
Century? Major social problems
109. What was the impact of American westward movement on the Native
Americans? Destruction / Dawes Act
110. Describe the Homestead Strike & the 1894 Pullman strike.
111. What problems did farmers of the late 1800s face?
112. What was the Populist Party’s platform?
113. Who wrote The Jungle & what impact did it have leading up to the start of
the FDA? Upson Sinclair
114. Who was Jane Addams & what ―house‖ did she open?
115. Define Jim Crow laws.
116. Explain Plessy v. Ferguson. Made segregation legal – ―Separate but
117. Who was Ida Tarbell?
118. Define muckraker.
119. Describe the emergence of the NAACP. WEB Dubose
120. Describe the significance of Progressive reforms;
Improve conditions for the poor in cities
Improve working conditions
Child labor reform
Direct election of senators
121. Briefly summarize the Spanish-American War.
122. What was the Philippine insurrection?
123. What president brought the U.S. out of isolationism forever? TR
124. Explain the Roosevelt Corollary & its impact on Latin America. An
extension of the Monroe Doctrine
125. Why was the Panama Canal built?
GHSGT/EOCT Review - Spring Semester
Chapters 14-18 Progressive Era – World War I
1. Describe the Homestead Strike & the 1894 Pullman strike.
2. What problems did farmers of the late 1800s face?
3. What was the Populist Party’s platform?
4. Who wrote The Jungle & what impact did it have leading up to the start of the
5. Who was Jane Addams & what ―house‖ did she open?
6. Define Jim Crow laws.
7. Explain Plessy v. Ferguson.
8. Who was Ida Tarbell?
9. Define muckraker.
10. Describe the emergence of the NAACP.
11. Describe the significance of Progressive reforms;
12. Improve conditions for the poor in cities
13. Improve working conditions
14. Child labor reform
15. Direct election of senators
16. Briefly summarize the Spanish-American War.
17. What was the Philippine insurrection?
18. What president brought the U.S. out of isolationism forever?
19. Explain the Roosevelt Corollary & its impact on Latin America.
20. Why was the Panama Canal built?
Chapters 19-21 World War I – the Roaring 20s AKS 44, 45, 46
21. How did the neutral United States help France & Britain during World War I?
22. What was the Zimmerman Note?
23. Explain the home front during World War I.
24. Define the Espionage & Sedition Acts.
25. Who was Eugene Debs?
26. Explain Wilson’s Fourteen Points.
a. Creation of the League of Nations
b. Debate over the Versailles Treaty
27. Describe Wilson’s reforms during post-WWI.
a. 18th Amendment
b. 19th Amendment
28. What led to the Red Scare & immigration restrictions?
29. Who were Sacco &Vanzetti?
30. Who was Henry Ford & what was his major contribution?
31. Describe the impact the entertainment business had on the U.S. during the 1920s.
a. Babe Ruth / Jack Dempsey
32. Describe the origins of the Jazz Age & the Harlem Renaissance.
a. Louis Armstrong
b. Langston Hughes
33. Who was Ernest Hemingway?
Chapters 22-23 Great Depression & New Deal AKS 46, 47
34. What were all the causes of the Great Depression?
35. Explain the impact the drought had on the Great Plains in the 1930s.
a. Dust Bowl
36. Explain the impact massive unemployment had on the United States.
37. What was a Hooverville?
38. Who was elected president in 1932?
39. Define fireside chats.
40. What was The Hundred Days & its significance on the U.S.?
41. What did the New Deal programs do?
42. What was the Tennessee Valley Authority created for?
43. Explain the Wagner Act & Social Security Act.
44. Explain the rise of unionism in the U.S.
45. How was Eleanor Roosevelt a symbol of social progress and women’s activism?
46. Who was Huey Long?
47. How was Roosevelt’s relationship with the Supreme Court?
48. Identify the Neutrality Act.
Chapters 24, 25, 26, 28, 30 – World War II & the Cold War AKS 48, 49
49. Explain A. Phillip Randolph’s proposed march on Washington D.C. and
50. What was the Lend-Lease program?
51. Briefly describe the attack on Pearl Harbor.
52. Explain the interment of Japanese-Americans.
53. Briefly explain;
a. Battle of Midway
b. Battle of Iwo Jima
d. Battle of the Bulge
e. The fall of Berlin
f. The bombings Hiroshima & Nagasaki
54. Describe the American home front.
a. War bond drives
c. War-time conservation
55. What roles did American women take during World War II?
56. What roles did minorities take during World War II?
57. Briefly explain the Manhattan Project.
58. What does the U.S.S.R. stand for?
59. Explain the Marshall Plan.
60. What brought on the Berlin Airlift & what exactly was it?
61. Define the Truman Doctrine.
62. How did the Truman Doctrine dominate American foreign policy for most of the
second half of the 20th century?
63. What impact did the new communist regime in China have on the United States?
64. What impact did the Korean War have on the United States?
65. How did world events in the late 40s & early 50s contribute to the rise of Senator
66. What was McCarthyism?
67. Describe the happenings in Cuba during the 50s & early 60s.
a. The rise of Castro
b. The Bay of Pigs
c. The Cuban Missile Crisis
68. Briefly describe the Vietnam War.
a. The warfare & strategies
b. The draft
c. The anti-war movement
69. What was the Tonkin Resolution?
70. What was the Tet Offensive?
71. Briefly describe the Space Race between the U.S. & the U.S.S.R..
a. Sputnik I
b. The race to the moon
Chapters 27, 29, 31-34 20th Century to Present AKS 50-54
72. What was the baby boom immediately following World War II?
73. Define the Interstate Highway Act.
74. Define the G.I. Bill of Rights.
75. What impact has television had on the American culture?
a. the 1960 presidential election
b. news coverage of the Civil Rights Movement
76. Briefly describe the impact technology has had on American culture.
a. Personal computers
b. Cell phones
77. Explain the importance of Truman’s orders to integrate the U.S. military and the
78. Who was Jackie Robinson?
79. Explain Brown v. the Board of Education.
80. What was the significance of Dr. King’s Letter from a Birmingham Jail & his I
Have a Dream speech?
81. Who was Malcolm X & how did his views differ from Dr. King’s views early on
in the Civil Rights Movement?
82. Describe the causes & consequences of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the
Voting Rights Act of 1965.
83. Describe the Warren Court.
84. How did the Miranda decision impact our individual rights?
85. What was the political impact of the assassination of JFK?
86. Explain President Johnson’s Great Society.
b. War on Poverty
87. Describe the social & political turmoil of 1968 in the U.S.
a. King & R. Kennedy assassinations
b. Democratic National Convention
88. Compare & contrast the SNCC & the SCLC tactics.
c. Freedom riders
89. Briefly explain the modern women’s rights movement.
a. National Organization of Women
b. The Feminine Mystique
c. Title IX
90. Who was Cesar Chavez and what was the United Farm Workers movement?
91. Who is Rachel Carson?
92. Describe the rise of the conservative movement as seen in the presidential
candidacy of Barry Goldwater & the election of Nixon.
93. Briefly describe the presidency of Nixon.
a. Ending Vietnam
b. Opening of China
c. The Watergate Scandal
d. Changing attitudes toward government
94. What impact has Roe v. Wade and the Bakke decision had on American society?
95. Briefly describe the presidency of Carter.
a. Camp David Accords
b. Iranian Hostage Crisis
96. Briefly describe the presidency of Reagan.
b. Reagan’s foreign & domestic policies
c. Iran-Contra Scandal
d. The end of the Soviet Union
97. Briefly describe the presidency of Clinton.
c. His impeachment
98. What impact did the Electoral College have on the 2000 presidential election?
99. Briefly describe the presidency of George W. Bush.
a. 9/11 & The war on terrorism
b. Afghanistan & Iraq
100. Describe the impact of globalization on government economic policy at
the national level.