DECEMBER 19, 2007
1. Approved the agenda, as submitted.
2. Approved the minutes of the regular 12/06/07 board meeting and the public hearing of 12/12/07, as
3. Approved the payment of the regular bills and the auditor’s warrants of 12/07/07 and 12/14/07, as
4. Authorized overtime in the Auditor/Treasurer office, as needed, due to regular employee medical
leave, with a report to the board of overtime utilization upon employee’s return.
5. Approved carryover of Auditor/Treasurer excess vacation, as required by Section 12, D.3 in the
6. Approved the final certified 2008 net levy in the amount of $10,617,966.
7. Approved the final 2008 budgets, as recommended by the auditor/treasurer and the 2008 Extension
Budget in the amount of $168,900.
8. Presented the following service awards: 20 years – Chief Deputy Auditor/Data Processing
Coordinator, Sandra L. Rittgers and Chief Deputy Treasurer, Lorretta L. Mattson.
9. Authorized Public Works to obtain quotes for the year 2008 for the following: equipment rental;
gasoline, diesel; culverts, aggregate; bituminous materials; signs and posts, as presented.
10. Authorized Public Works to obtain bids for 2008 aggregate surfacing, liquid calcium chloride and
pavement marking contracts.
11. Approved partial payment to Hoffman Building Systems in the amount of $29,142.75, by auditors
warrant, for 75% of the South transfer station addition completed.
12. Presented the Hwy Department Financial Statements dated 10/31/07 & 11/30/07.
13. Presented the following service awards: 5 years – Engineering Aide III, Thomas A Johnson; 10
years – Assistant Accountant, Lisa A. Pfeifer, Maintenance II Foreman, Herbert J. McCormick,
Maintenance II, David G. Kahlstorf, and Sign Tech II/Maintenance II, Mikel J. Boettcher; 20 years –
Maintenance II, James L. Wright; 30 years – Maintenance II, Edwin R. Branham.
14. Introduced new Office Assistant, Linda Drewicke to the Board.
15. Presented a 2007 sales ratio assessment report.
16. Presented the 10 year service award to Administrative Support Technician, Jill Thompson.
17. Approved the LEC payment to Unicel in the amount of $4,928 plus mileage for upgrading the squad
cell phones, including sales tax and installation, to be paid from Investigation Reimbursement Fund
- $1,931.84 and the Sheriff’s Office donations - $2,996.16.
18. Authorized the Sheriff’s Office to obtain quotes for new, 2008 squad cars, as follows, for review by
the Board: 2 squads and 1 SUV.
DECEMBER 19, 2007
19. Authorized the increase of LEC Office Assistant I position to full time effective 01/01/08.
20. Authorized replacement personnel coverage during Jail Programmer medical leave, per proper
21. Authorized Lion’s evening meetings in the LEC basement meeting room due to the unavailability of
their regular meeting location due to the hospital construction project.
22. Accepted the Lion’s Club, LEC donation of a projection screen and authorized installation of
required outlet to be paid from the building fund.
23. Presented the following service awards: 5 years – Dispatcher/Jailer, Lana Jo Yliniemi and Road
Deputy, Chad Olson; 20 years – Records Management Coordinator, Kathleen R. Beelner.
24. Approved POS agreements with the following, as presented, amendment of MinnesotaCare
applications processing contract ceiling with DHS to $18,905 and authorized Chair to sign each:
Stellher Human Services, Inc. for outpatient CD treatment; Rural Minnesota CEP for Employment
and Training Services; and MN-Dot for transit services for CY2008.
25. Reported social service overtime for period of 11/11/07 to 12/08/07 in the amount of 12 hours and
26. Approved revisions to the Hubbard County Crisis Fund plan, as presented.
27. Approved the income maintenance agenda, social service agenda and payment of the welfare bills.
28. Presented the following service awards: 5 years – Transit Driver, Marvin Koel, 25 years – Financial
Worker, Tina R. Johanning and Director, Daryl G. Bessler; and 30 years – Financial Worker, Crystal
29. Introduced Extension Regional Director, James Carlson to the Board.
30. Approved Memorandum of Agreement with the University of Minnesota Extension Service, in the
amount of $143,300 and approved Memorandum of Intent between Hubbard County and the
University of Minnesota Extension Service Nutrition Education Program for in-kind contributions for
fiscal year 2008.
HEADWATERS REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION (HRDC)
31. Approved HRDC proceed with MCPP Grant application for first time home owners low interest
mortgage financing on behalf of Hubbard County, as presented.
32. Approved final plat of “Fair Havens Estates” Straight River Township, Parcel ID #s 25.13.01000,
25.13.01200, 25.13.01210, 25.13.01220, 25.13.01230, 25.13.01240, 25.13.01250, 25.13.01260, &
25.13.01270, as recommended by the Planning Commission and the Environmental Services Office
33. Denied Conditional Use Application #4-CU-07, Parcel #13.12.00700 of Lisa Haataja as
recommended by the ESO and adopted the Planning Commission Findings of Fact.
34. Approved the Conditional Use Application #5-CU-07, Parcel #02.23.00200, 02.23.03000, &
02.23.03010 of Robert L. & Joan K. Comeau, including conditions recommended by the ESO and
DECEMBER 19, 2007
adopted the Planning Commission Findings of Fact, as presented.
35. Approved preliminary plat of “Comeau Park North 1st Addition” Arago Township, Parcel ID #s
02.23.00200, 02.23.03000, &02.23.03010, as recommended by the Planning Commission including
the adopted Conditional Use Findings of Fact conditions and specified that the inclusion of a
Conservation Easement with the county retaining jurisdiction should be included with consideration
of the Final Plat.
36. Approved the Conditional Use Application #6-CU-07, Parcel #16.37.00700, 16.37.00800, &
16.37.01600 of Lakes Area Windsurfing, Inc., Lake Emma Township, as recommended by the ESO
and adopted the Planning Commission Findings of Fact, as presented.
37. Approved the preliminary plat of “Open Meadows”, Parcel #16.09.01100 & 16.09.04110, Lake
Emma Township, as recommended by the Planning Commission.
38. approved the preliminary plat of “Crow Crest Estates”, Parcel #06.15.00100, Crow Wing Lake
Township, as recommended by the Planning Commission and the ESO.
39. Referred ISTS Ordinance violation to County Attorney for litigation, if necessary.
40. Requested Environmental Services Officer prepare a list of non-compliant Lake Survey Program
parcels for review by their respective commissioner.
HISTORICAL SOCIETY & NORTH COUNTRY MUSEUM OF ARTS
41. Directed the old courthouse electric meter by changed to the Hubbard County Historical Society and
it was understood that the utilities will be paid by the HCHS per MS §138.051, the HCHS will
continue to receive their county allocation, upon request, and any further arrangements are between
them and their sub-leasees.
42. Approved payment to Otis Elevator, estimated between $7,000 - $10,000 upon submission of bill,
for elevator repair to be paid from the Building Fund.
43. Authorized payment of costs of LEC donated screen installation, if necessary, to be paid from the
44. Approved the points for the Office Assistant I/E911 Administrator job description to be 128 resulting
in a Grade 23 wage range, as recommended by the Classification Committee.
45. Clarified the 2008 Committee List to reflect the same membership for both the Law Enforcement
Center Licensed and Non-licensed bargaining groups.
46. Approved the Memorandum of Agreement between Becker and Hubbard County for sharing an
Extension Service Educator position and authorized Chairman and Coordinator to sign same.
47. Approved payment to ProWest for Arc GIS 9.2 tools and training estimated in the amount of $1,000
to be paid from MIS monies.
48. Approved payment to ProWest for 70 GIS user manuals @ $5 each to be paid from MIS monies.
49. Adopted the resolution approving gambling licenses for the American Legion Otto Hendrickson,
Post 212 for combined fishing/raffle derby on 02/02/08, as submitted.
50. Appointed Eric Buitenwerf to the Airport Zoning Board to replace Jack Paul.
51. Added the Community Health Committee to the 2008 Committee list and appointed Commissioner
DECEMBER 19, 2007
Devine with Commissioner Carlson as alternate.
52. Approved Park Rapids Amateur Youth Hockey Association applications for gambling licenses at the
following locations, upon completion of proper paperwork: Bark-A-Lounge, Arago Township;
Zhateau Zorbas, Lake Emma Township; Bogey’s, Henrietta Township and Whitetail Tavern, Nevis
53. Presented the following service awards: 5 years – Victim Services Coordinator, Jill M. Christenson,
20 years – Custodian, Charles G. Peabody; and 30 years – GIS Technician, Stephen J. Pachel.
54. Approved addition to regular bills of Roger’s Two Way Radio in the amount of $4,854.48.
55. Approved Beer and Tobacco license applications, upon completion of proper paperwork, of Itasca
56. Directed Coordinator to invite Clover and Arago Townships to the next board meeting after
Commissioner Devine contacts Arago Township
57. Approved the change of the first regular Board meeting in December, 2008 from 12/4/08 to 12/3/08.
CLOSED MEETING PER M.S. §13D.05, SUBD. 3 (EMPLOYEE EVALUATION)
58. At 4:00 p.m. the performance evaluation of Public Works Coordinator, David Olsonawski was
completed. The meeting was re-opened at 4:29 p.m.
59. The Meeting was adjourned at 4:29 p.m.