IITMAA - Bringing Alumni
“To provide an organization through
which Alumni of IIT Madras keep in
touch with Batch-mates, Department,
Teachers, Students and the Campus”
“To enable professional networking among
alumni, between professors and alumni, as
well as networking of current students with
alumni for mutual benefit in academic,
professional and / or business areas;
including ‘Employment Network’ for new
graduates or alumni looking for career
upgrade / change, and alumni displaced from
Brief History & some milestones
• 1964 Launched by Prof. Sengupto.
• 1991 First ever silver Reunion.
• 1993 First office space in the HSB.
• 1994 First full time executive hired.
• 1998 IITMAA registered as a Society.
• 1999 Use of Yahoo Groups introduced by Raj.
• 2004 MAA president elected by electronic voting.
• 2004 IITMAA office moved to spacious location.
The Present Office bearers
• Raj Varadarajan (1966) - President
• N.Raghavan (1970) - Vice President
• Dalton Eddy (1969) - Secretary
• Ravi Venkatraman(1971) - Treasurer
• Suneel Nanduri (2005) - Jt. Secretary
• Goutham B (2007) - Jt. Secretary
+ other nominated/ co-opted members:
Prof.R.Nagarajan, S.Rammohan/ Lavu Sridhar, Srni Nageshwar,
A Brief History of Chapters
• First Chapter meeting of Alumni held at
Houston in 1980.
• Chennai Chapter formed in 1989.
• Many chapters now established in India
Chapters in India
Chapters: Current Presidents
• - Chennai : Mr.Girish Paliath (1978-BTME)
• - Cochin : Mr. Prabhakar Konath (1970-BTCV)
• - Bangalore : Ms. Anvita Bajpai (2004-MSCS)
• - Hyderabad : Mr. A. Lokhabi Phani Srinivas (1994-BTME)
• - Delhi : Mr. Mahesh Kumar Suri (1964-BTME)
• - Mumbai : Mr. Pradeep Mallick (1965-BTEE)
• - Pune : Col. Kenjalkar Vasantrao (1987-MTME)
• - Coimbatore: Mr. T. N. Viswanathan (1966-BTMT)
IITMAANA & Chapters in USA
- IITMAANA Mr. Lavu Sridhar (2000 - BTEE)
– Houston Mr. Subbaraman Viswanathan (1966 - BTCH)
- North California Mr. Bharatwaj Ramakrishnan (1998 - BTME)
- New York Mr. Narendra Srivatsa (1981 - BTCH)
- Los Angeles Mr. Pramod Kunju (1997 - BTEC)
- Washington-DC Mr. Robert (Bob) Nathan (1977- BTCH)
Chapters in other parts of the world
• An yearly magazine titled, “Pradeep” published in the late 60s.
• A quarterly Alumni Magazine titled, “GC – Alma Mater” printed till
• “Journeys”, a quarterly e-magazine by and for alumni initiated from
• A weekly e-newsletter from June 2009.
• Nearly 100 Yahoo Groups extensively used as a mode of
• Recently the General Manager has created a profile on
Facebook for the younger alumni to interact with him.
On-going events - Adieu
• Adieu –Event hosted by alumni for graduands since 2005.
• Panel discussions & student interactions including grand dinner
followed by entertainment programme.
• Students present a video of their life on campus.
• This year’s Adieu is being supported by ’79, ’80 & ’81 batches.
• To enable greater student participation, the planning of the
programme for this year’s Adieu is being carried out by the
• Mementos to remember.
Conduct of Golden Jubilee
• The first ever Alumni Day was held on 26th December,
2009 jointly by OAA & IITMAA.
• More than 500 alumni & their families attended the
• Special arrangements had been made for campus tours,
temple tours & nature tours.
• The highlight of the day was the unveiling of the “Donor
Wall of fame”.
• Alumni Day will be held this year on 31st July, 2010 and
every year in the future.
• All Reunions will be planned around the Alumni Day to
make it convenient for all alumni to attend.
Reunions in 2010
• 10 Reunions have been planned for the current
• To make it convenient for all the Reunion
batches two common dates have been
suggested to them i.e., 31st July & 26th
Reunions in 2010
• The following are the 10 batches planning their
Reunions this year:
• 1965 – Sapphire RU
• 1970 – Ruby RU
• 1975 – Coral RU
• 1980 – Pearl RU
• 1985 – Silver RU
• 1990 – China RU
• 1995 – Crystal RU
• 2000 - Tin RU
• 2005 – Wood RU
• 2009 – Paper RU
Mock Interview Programme
• Generally held in the month of November
before students appear for placements to
help them gain self confidence.
• Nominal fees collected from the students.
• The 2009 MIP attracted 188 final year
students and the feedback obtained from
them has been very positive.
Scholarships & Programmes for
• “Class of 1972” scholarships.
• “Sri K.Rangachariar Memorial Educational
• Young Professionals Programme.
• Win-Win Overview Programme.
On-going Community Development
• Village Knowledge Centers
• Rural water shed Project
• Rural Health care
• Revamped website www.iitmaa.org with dynamic
• Mentoring Programme.
• Alumni Club.
• Golden Jubilee Fund initiatives.
• Alumni / Faculty Initiatives for R&D funding.
• IITMAA Life-Saver Group Health Insurance.
• “Alumni Care!” - Documentary Video on Alumni
contribution to Society.
• Proposing to set up an Alumni Travel Desk in IIT
MAA, with part funding form 1980 Batch, to assist
alumni for travel, stay & campus activities in and
around Chennai; MOU already signed
• Full fledged office with competent staff
New initiatives - Mentoring Programme
• Programme launched on 30th October, 2009.
• Nearly 500 final year / pre-final year students &
over 250 successful and resourceful alumni
have registered for the Programme.
• Currently the programme has been extended to
alumni as well, due to popular demand & young
alumni are being mentored by senior alumni.
New initiatives – Alumni Club
• A first of its kind PanIIT Alumni Club has been
promoted in Chennai.
• Has been a quest for the last two decades!
• More than 250 members already enrolled in the
• Club will have business centre, restaurant &
• Club has recently rented premises in Chennai
and will be functional from end- August, 2010.
New initiatives – Life-Saver Group Health
• Launched the Group Health Insurance Scheme on 1st
• 46 members have joined so far.
• Scheme is open to alumni of all IITs.
• Some USPs are:
- Pre existing diseases covered from day 1.
- No medical check up required.
- Ayurvedic treatment upto 25k can be reimbursed.
- Senior Citizens upto the age of 70 can join.
• The scheme provides cover of 3 lakhs per annum.
Golden Jubilee Alumni Fund
• IITMAANA is actively involved in the fund
raising efforts for the Golden Jubilee Alumni
Fund in US.
• Currently IITMAA is also actively supporting the
efforts of OAA in achieving the targets of the
Golden Jubilee Alumni Fund.
• Ramping up networking from 20% of the
alumni who interact at present.
• Need to identify a set of activities to draw
the alumni to the Association.
• To find an ultimate “crowd Puller”.
• To motivate “activist” batch coordinators
for each batch-wise yahoo group.
• Inclusive development with PGs and
• Rs. 1000/- collected for a life time membership.
• The Association has a deposit base of only
Rs.53,00,000 received by way of membership
which barely manages the overheads.
• Over 34,594 alumni – ranging from B. Tech to
Ph. D - from 1964 to 2010 have graduated from
• However, only about 40% of their contact details
• Complete & current details available for approx.
15,000 alumni only.
• The Association constantly strives to update its
database. We solicit your help to get us more
We thank you for
• Enthusiastic response from alumni who take up
the responsibility for the conduct of the various
activities of the Association.
• Sending us more contacts for the Alumni
• Sending us more data for making more volumes of
our video “Alumni Care” for Alumni contributions to
Keep in touch