Portrait of a Senior Territorian
12 - 27 October 2011
Parliament House, Darwin
Dr Al Strangeways, Alice Springs – ‘Mona’
Winner 2010 Portrait of a Senior Territorian Art Award.
The Northern Territory Government acknowledges the significant
and valuable contribution that senior Territorians make to our
community through the Portrait of a Senior Territorian Art Award.
The exhibition highlights the achievements of older Territorians and
encourages excellence in artistic expression.
An Acquisition Award of $7,000 is being offered for the winning
original portrait of one or more senior Territorians. The Department
of the Legislative Assembly will be providing a new $2,000 Second
Prize and a $500 Third Prize, in addition to the $1,000 People’s
Choice Prize for the artwork that receives the highest number of
votes from the public.
Entries are invited from all Territorians.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. The Award is open to all Northern Territory residents of any age.
2. Entry forms must be received by close of business, Thursday 1 September 2011.
3. Portraits must be an original work of the entrant and completed within 2 years prior to the exhibition.
4. Only 1 entry per artist is allowed.
5. Portraits previously submitted to the Portrait of a Senior Territorian exhibition will not be accepted; this also applies to previously submitted
portraits that have been reworked or retouched.
6. Portraits must be of 1 or more senior Territorians aged 60 years or over.
7. Accepted portrait mediums are oils, acrylic, watercolour, or other mixed media (meaning a variation of oil, acrylic and watercolours).
Portraits may be deemed ineligible for the use of any other media.
8. Photographic works, including digital images and prints, will not be accepted
9. All works must be a portrait of a person or a representation of a person painted from life (not from a photograph).
10. Size of the work must not be larger than 150cm (h) x 100cm (w) or 120cm (h) x 120cm (w). These dimensions must include the framing.
Portraits may be deemed ineligible for exceeding these measurements.
11. The works must be two dimensional in nature and suitable for hanging on a wall.
12. The work must be ready for hanging and presentation with hanging wire and identity label on the back with the artist’s name, contact
phone number, title of work, the subject’s name and age.
13. The artist must provide a statement of 100 words or less about the subject of their work and 100 words or less about the artist and their art
practice. This statement will be used in the catalogue and on the exhibition labels, and should be accurate and concise.
14. The organiser reserves the right not to exhibit any work.
15. Appropriate archival materials will be taken into account by the judges of the Acquisition Award. Any works deemed to need excessive
ongoing maintenance will not be considered for the Acquisition Award.
16. No correspondence will be entered into concerning the judges’ decisions.
COPYRIGHT & REPRODUCTION
17. The artist remains the copyright owner of the work and will be acknowledged as the creator of the work at all times.
18. The artist will allow their work to be reproduced for the exhibition catalogue; and for the purposes of promotion, news reporting and review.
The artwork may also be documented for archival and educational purposes.
19. An electronic version of the catalogue will be made available on the Department of the Legislative Assembly website.
20. The winning works may be reproduced to promote the 2012 Portrait of a Senior Territorian Art Award with the permission of the artist.
21. The $7,000 Acquisition Award is offered in exchange for the winning artwork. The work will be selected by a panel of judges and will
become the property of the Government House Foundation. The Acquisition Award will be presented to the winning artist or their
22. Artwork not available for sale will not be eligible for the Acquisition Award.
23. Any artwork priced above the value of the Acquisition Award ($7,000) will not be considered for the Acquisition Award unless specifically
stated and signed by the entrant on the entry form.
24. The $2,000 Second Prize and $500 Third Prize will be selected by a panel of judges and are non-acquisitive awards.
25. The $1,000 People’s Choice Award (a non-acquisitive award) will be decided by public ballot. The winner of the People’s Choice Award
will be the artist who attracts the highest number of votes. The winning artist will be announced after the close of the exhi bition and
payment will be made within a week of the end of the exhibition.
26. GST registered artists will be required to provide a tax invoice for the receipt of any prize or fee. Non registered artists will have to
complete an ATO Statement by a supplier (reason for not quoting an ABN to an enterprise) form in order to receive full payment of any
prize or fee.
27. The artist is responsible for insurance of the work.
28. All care will be taken, however the organiser assumes no responsibility for work entered in the exhibition.
29. Freight to and from the exhibition is the responsibility of the artist.
DELIVERY & COLLECTION OF WORK
30. The deadline for delivery of works is 3pm on Friday 16 September 2011.
31. Works must be delivered to the Security Desk, Parliament House, between 10am – 3pm on Friday 16 September 2011. A receipt for
works will be provided.
32. All works will be held for the duration of the exhibition and will not be released under any circumstances.
33. All works must be collected from the Security Desk, Parliament House, between 10am – 3pm on Wednesday 2 November 2011. A receipt
for works must be produced.
PANEL OF JUDGES
34. A panel of judges for the Acquisition Award, Second Prize and Third Prize will be determined closer to the exhibition date.
NAME TITLE (eg Mr)
PHONE B/H PHONE A/H
ARE YOU OF ABORIGINAL OR TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER DESCENT? YES NO
DATE OF BIRTH PLACE OF BIRTH
NAME TITLE (eg Mr)
Please ensure that the subject’s postal address is correct, to avoid any delays in correspondence sent to the subject.
PHONE B/H PHONE A/H
IS THE SUBJECT OF ABORIGINAL OR TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER DESCENT? YES NO
DATE OF BIRTH AGE
PLACE OF BIRTH
DATE CREATED SIZE (CENTIMETRES) H……… cm x W…….. cm
The organiser will not handle sales. Works not available for sale are not eligible for the Acquisition Award.
I agree to an image of my work being published in an electronic version of YES NO
the 2011 exhibition catalogue on the Department of the Legislative
**Please only sign if applicable**
I wish to have my work considered for the Acquisition Award even though the price of my work is greater
than the amount of the Acquisition Award on offer ($7,000). In the event that my work is selected as the
winning entry it shall be exchanged for the stated value of the Government House Foundation Acquisition
Signed: Date: / / 2011
I declare that I have carefully read the whole of the Terms and Conditions of entry for the ‘Portrait
of a Senior Territorian Art Award 2011’ and agree to abide and be bound by the terms thereof.
Signed: Date: / / 2011
PLEASE WRITE OR ATTACH YOUR STATEMENT AND RESUME HERE:
SUBJECT’S DETAILS: Please provide a statement of no more than 100 words or less about your subject.
ARTIST’S DETAILS: Please provide a statement of no more than 100 words or less about yourself as an
artist and of your artistic practices.
How did you hear about the 2011 Portrait of a Senior Territorian Art Award? (Please tick)
Newspaper (please Word of Mouth Poster/Flyer
Arts Organisation Email Bulletin Off The Leash
Other (please specify)
Please send your completed entry form by COB Thursday 1 September 2011 to:
The Speaker’s Office
Department of Legislative Assembly
GPO Box 3721
DARWIN NT 0801
Phone: 08 8901 4159
Fax: 08 8981 3284
(Note: Electronic applications are preferred; however, a signed copy of the entry form must also be posted or
faxed as per the above contact details.)
Electronic application form can be found at: www.nt.gov.au/lant/parliament/parliament.shtml