Motivation - Chapter 12
1. Define the following terms
Hierarchy of Needs Perspective
2. List the similarities between instinct theory and evolutionary perspective.
3. List the differences between instinct theory and evolutionary perspective.
4. Explain drive-reduction theory views human motivation
5. Explain how the of arousal theory applies to the study of motivation.
6. Draw Maslow’s pyramid shaped Hierarchy of Needs, include a description of each level.
7. What are the criticisms of this theory?
8. Use the research by Washburn and Cannon to list the physiological changes in body chemistry that explain hunger.
9. Define the following terms
Body set point
Body settling point
10. What are the psychological influences on hunger
11. What are the cultural influences on hunger.
12 Define the following terms
13. List the psychological influences on the physiologically motivated behaviors of anorexia nervosa and bulimia
nervosa. Include cultural issues, family, age, self-esteem, stress, and twin studies.
14. Use the Masters and Johnson research to list the stages in the human sexual response cycle.
15. List some of the causes of sexual disorders.
16. Define the following terms
17. What are the effects of hormone levels on sexual motivation and behavior.
18. List the trends and possible causes of teen pregnancy.
19. List the trends in the spread of STIs.
20. How does environment influence sexual orientation?
21. How does biology influence sexual orientation?
22. Define the following terms
23. What are the healthy consequences of our need to belong?
24. What are the unhealthy consequences of our need to belong?
25. Define the following terms
26. How do personnel psychologists help organizations with employee selection?
27. How do personnel psychologists help organizations with work placement?
28. How do personnel psychologists help organizations with performance appraisals?
29. Define the following terms
Forms of bias
Leniency or severity errors
30. Why do organizations hire I/O psychologist to motivate employees?
31. Why is employee satisfaction important to the workplace?
32. Define the following terms
33. List the characteristics of effective managers.