FINDING THE BEST SOLUTE LAB
Problem: Which solute will be most soluble in
water; baking soda, table salt, Epsom salts, or
Hypothesis: If we dissolve_________
then _____________ will dissolve first, because
Five Test Tubes
Test Tube Rack
Baking Soda, Table Salt, Epsom Salts, Sugar
1. Place five test tubes in the test tube rack.
2. Put 10ml of water in the first four test tubes.
3. Put a level scoop of salt only in the fifth test tube
(this is the control).
4. Put a level scoop of salt in tube 1 (with the water).
5. For one minute watch the salt—DO NOT SHAKE!
6. Write down your observations. Compare the test
tube with the control test tube and estimate how
much of the salt has dissolved (use a percentage).
7. Shake the wet tube 10 times and observe and
estimate how much has dissolved. Continue to
shake, observe, and estimate up to 50 shakes.
8. Repeat steps 3-7, this time with Baking Soda in
9. Repeat steps 3-7, this time with Epsom Salts in
10. Repeat steps 3-7, this time with sugar in tube 4.
11. Thoroughly clean and rinse test tubes.