Geology 101 - Fall 2006 - Exam #2
1. What is represented by a sharp bedding plane in a pile of sedimentary rocks? (In other words,
what is the significance of a sharp bedding plane?)
2. Why is there so much sandstone in the southwest U.S.? There are really two parts to the
question: why was the sand there in the first place, and why is sandstone still there now?
3. Distinguish between clastic and nonclastic textures in rocks. What type fo texture is common to
all detrital sedimentary rocks.
4. What is schistosity? What minerals are responsible for giving a rock schistosity (name them)?
5. What are the three most important "agents of metamorphism?" That is, the three most important
things that cause metamorphism?
6. What is a marble? How do marbles form? What is the most common mineral in a marble?
7. How does plate tectonics affect the climate of the Earth?
8. Earth's climate has varied a lot throughout geological time. What are the short term causes for
9. Describe what causes a glacier to advance? Also, describe what causes a glacier to retreat?
10. Today most glaciers in the world are retreating. Why?
11. In what three ways does a stream transport its load?
12. What is "headward erosion?" How does it relate to "stream piracy?" And how do both lead to
modifications in drainage basins?
13. What is a "base level?" What factors determine the position of the base level? What is the
base level of the Red River?
14. What were the principle factors that led to the 1997 Red River flood disaster in North Dakota and
Minnesota. (There are at least four or five key things you should list.) Explain why each led to the
disaster we had.
15. What is Karst topography and how does it form? Describe some of its features.
16. What problem is associated with pumping groundwater for irrigation in the southern part of the
Great Plains? What can we do to solve the problem?