“Flavio”s Home” by Gordon Parks
Critical Reading Response Questions.
Please answer the following questions.
1. What is the thesis of this essay?
2. How effectively does the essay appeal to logos, pathos and/or ethos? Which appeal is
the strongest? Why is it effective?
3. How would you classify this essay? Here are your choices: definition,
compare/contrast, descriptive, narrative, cause/effect, process analysis. Which choice
best describes this essay? Are there more than one?
4. Give an example of specific detail that stands out as especially effective for you.
5. Is this essay written to inform, persuade or entertain?
6. What is the tone of the essay? Be specific!
7. Do you find any lapses in judgment in this essay? Any fallacy? Exaggeration?
8. What is your overall impression of the essay? Does it “work” for you? Why or why not?