Strawberry Festival BBQ Cook-Off
Rules and Regulations
1. Teams will consist of one (1) head cook and up to four (4) team members. Each team must have and
cook on their own pit. Each team must provide one member, other than head cook, to judge a
2. Entry fee is $125.00 for one or all three meat categories. Deadline is March 31, 2008. Late entries
will pay $175.00. TEAMS WILL BE LIMITED TO THE FIRST 60 ENTRIES RECEIVED.
Entry fee includes 5 (five) 2-day passes to the Poteet Strawberry Festival grounds for Saturday and
Sunday. Grounds entry is $10.00 per person each day. Friday grounds admission is free. Proceeds
of the cook-off to benefit Festival Scholarship Fund.
Pinto beans may be entered for a jackpot at $20.00 per entry. Jackpot will pay out 100% to top three
(3) places. At least one (1) meat category must be entered in order to participate in jackpot.
3. All meats that may be entered into judging will be cooked from scratch on-site. Pre-cooking,
marinating, etc. will not be allowed prior to inspection. Meat will be inspected at check-in.
4. Fires must be wood or wood substance (charcoal). BBQ pits may include gas or electricity to
start natural substance but not to complete cooking. Each team must provide a fire extinguisher.
5. Holes or open pits are not permitted. Fires may not be built on the ground.
6. Props, trailers, tents, and any other equipment may not exceed the boundary of the contestant’s
assigned space. The spaces will be 40’ x 40’.
7. Cook’s meeting will be held on Saturday, April 12, 2008, at 9:00 a.m. at the Judging Tent. Head
cooks MUST attend. Amounts to be turned in:
Beef Brisket seven (7) full slices approximately 1/4” to 3/8”
Pork Spare Ribs seven (7) individually cut ribs (bone in)
Chicken ½ fully jointed chicken (to include breast, wing, thigh, and drumstick)
**BASED ON NUMBER OF COOKS, TURN-IN QUANTITIES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.
NO GARNISH or SAUCE is allowed in the tray at turn-in. Meats may be cooked with sauce and/or
other liquid, but once cooking is complete, sauces and/or liquids cannot be added.
NO PUDDLING IN BOTTOM OF TURN-IN TRAY.
**ALL JUDGING WILL BE DONE IN ACCORDANCE WITH IBCA RULES.**
For complete judging rules, visit www.ibcabbq.org
8. It is the responsibility of the contestants to see that the contest area is kept clean and that the area is
cleaned and policed following the contest. All fires must be put out and all equipment removed from
9. Excessive use of alcoholic beverages may be grounds for disqualification. Under no circumstances
are alcoholic beverages to be distributed to minors. No alcoholic beverages may be carried into or
from the main festival grounds.
10. No alcohol, goods, or food sales are permitted to the general public.
11. Only one vehicle in the pit area. Electricity will not be available in pit area.
12. Separate RV hook-ups are available in limited quantities. Contact the PSFA office at 830-742-8144.
13. No animals will be allowed in cook-off area, with exception of Seeing Eye Dogs.
14. Poteet Strawberry Festival Association and cook-off officials will not be held responsible for
accidents, thefts, or any mishaps.
15. No golf carts or ATVs will be allowed on Festival grounds.
16. Turn-in times will be as follows:
Jackpot beans 11:00 a.m. Chicken 12:30 p.m.
Pork spare ribs 2:00 p.m. Brisket 3:30 p.m.
17. Cash awards and trophies will be given to 1st through 3rd places in each meat category. A Grand
Champion will also receive a cash award and trophy. Ribbons will be given to 4 th through 10th places.
Jack-pot beans will be paid out 100% to 1st through 3rd places. Dollar amounts of cash awards
depends on number of teams entered.
18. Check-in is between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. Friday, April 11, 2008. Early pit arrival on Thursday is
permissible. All pits must be in place before 9:00 a.m. Saturday. Cooks and families are invited to
stay and enjoy the festivities on Sunday.