Properties and uses of Arsenic
Uses of Arsenic
Properties of Arsenic • Arsenic is used as a doping agent in
• Upon heating arsenic and some solid-state devices.
minerals containing arsenic, it sublimes. • Arsenic compounds are used as
• Elemental arsenic occurs in two solid insecticides and in other poisons.
modifications: yellow, and grey or
metallic. • Gallium arsenide is used in lasers
• With specific gravities of 1.97, and which convert electricity into coherent
• Arsenic has a atomic weight of
74.92160. • Arsenic is used pyrotechny, hardening
• Arsenic’s atomic number is 33. and improving the sphericity of shot,
and in bronzing
• Arsenic’s group is semi-metallic. • Arsenic is in alloys used for making
• Gray arsenic is a very brittle semi- boiler tubes.
metallic solid. • Arsenic is in insecticides and weed-
• in the electronics industry in the
manufacture of semiconductors
Facts about Arsenic
• Albertus Magnus discovered Arsenic in
• Schroeder published two methods of
preparing elemental arsenic in 1649.
• The origin of the name comes from
the Greek work arsenikon meaning
• It is about the 52nd most common
chemical element on the earth.
• Arsenic is thought to be the most
toxic, while most organic forms of
arsenic are relatively less toxic.
• Arsenic is a naturally occurring
Arsenic was widely used by early alchemists and was
also sometimes represented by the image of a swan.
Arsenic is also
in lasers Yellow, and grey are
Arsenic is used in
Weed killers Arsenic’s
Arsenic is colors
Arsenic is in alloys
used for making
founded Arsenic Arsenic is naturally