Wallenpaupack Boost-Her Club Public Meeting Minutes
Date: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 6:30pm-7:45pm
Location: The Band Room at the High School
Rich Winkler – President
Debbie Palazzi – Treasurer
Christine Angland – Secretary
Jo Anna Donahue
Wallenpaupack Fireworks Fundraiser at the High School Carwash 10am-5pm and
Concession 10am-10pm. Donations accepted. Select fees charged for a few candies and glow
in the dark necklaces and bracelets donated by members. Water sold during fireworks.
Help needed in staffing the carwash and concession for two hour time slots on the day of
the fireworks. Please contact Debbie Palazzi at 493-5455 to sign-up you and/or your
IGA is generously extending an account at cost for the Boost-Her Club. Please show your
gratitude by being an IGA patron and promoter!
If you know of someone who has a daughter involved in basketball between grades 5-12 and
is not aware of the Boost-Her Club, please forward this email and spread the word. The more
people involved, the more impact we can make.
Next meetings scheduled for Monday July 12th 6:30 pm NI Cafeteria
Monday August 16th 6:30pm NI Cafeteria
1. Subject: Update on 5th and 6th Grade Travel Teams (Winkler)
- From my discussions with Robin Scartelli here is how fall basketball season will go for the
underclass. The 5th and 6th grade travel teams will have tryouts. The 6th graders will have try-outs
PRIOR to the start of Biddy season. Those that make the team will NOT play in the regular Biddy
season and will have the fall off to either work on their own game or play another sport. Their season
will begin after the Biddy season is over. The 5th grade Biddy tryouts will begin after the biddy
season concludes. A coach will be hired and paid to coach each travel team. These coaches will work
with each team and practice 2 times per week and play 1-2 games per week (probably early-mid Dec.
thru very early March) for the 6th grade, and a somewhat less intensive program for the 5th grade. The
purpose of this is to enable the travel players to play on a more competitive level and to better
prepare them for the school teams by keeping them in the gym longer with skills development being
the primary focus.
2. Subject: Fireworks Publicity (Winkler)
- Doreen Campfield was able to secure our ability to place a table outside Turkey Hill on the day of
the fireworks to promote the carwash.
- Winkler was able to leverage this success at Turkey Hill with Sunoco and secured a table at this
location as well on the day of the fireworks to promote the carwash.
- Need to contact the media to publicize the event.
- Witte suggested that for future events that we contact local TV (ch 16, 28,13 etc..) and that they
may help us tape a promo in advance.
- Witte to follow-up with media.
3. Subject: Signage (Winkler)
- Need 12 poster size signs – Highlighting Wallenpaupack Girls Basketball Boost-Her Club
- 8 Promoting Carwash Only
2 Turkey Hill Table
2 Sunoco Table
- 4 Promoting Concession and Carwash
- Need carwash “tickets” to give away at gas station tables (upon donations)
- Ehrhardt, C. Winkler, Thomas, Brindle, Donahue to coordinate signage and tape and deliver to
- R. Winkler to purchase two rolls of tickets for gas station tables.
- R. Winkler to bring easel.
4. Subject: Concession Materials (Winkler)
- IGA is generously extending a charge account to the Boost-Her Club enabling us to purchase goods
at cost. This is a HUGE help in that we don’t have to lay out the money up front, we can stop by the
store as needed, and we will gain a big discount. Please thank Mr. Shook by shopping at IGA!!! This
is a greatly appreciated donation/relationship.
- We will be serving hot dogs, hamburgers, soda and water.
- We will need a lot of ice.
- Reviewed list of items needed and items volunteered.
- Baked Goods voted down (don’t go over well and spoil easily in heat).
- Discussion on pricing and location for water sale during fireworks. Discussion on selling candy.
Ideas included Pixie Stix and Ring Pops. Discussion on complexity involved in selling vs. receiving
donations. Discussion on simplicity for our first fundraiser. Dispenza and Kenah offered to donate a
- Palazzi Landscaping donated glow in the dark necklaces and bracelets. Vote on pricing.
$2/necklace. $1/bracelet. Opportunity to sell more. If the items don’t sell, can use them at other
fundraisers (ie: school dances).
- R.Winkler to purchase all food/paper products needed for concession.
- R. Winkler to bring all utensils for concessions.
- Witte to look into ice donation.
- R.Winkler to look into grill(s) – possibly purchased, borrowed, or donated by Eastern Propane.
- 3 Hoses – Ragonese
- 3 Hoses and splitters – Palazzi
- 2 Tents – Ragonese
- 1 Tent – Casadevall
- Buckets and Sponges – Gregory
- 2 Tables – Casadevall
- 1 Table – Ragonese
- Tables and Chairs – Winkler
- Extra Tables – Outside Football Concession
- Towels – not needed
- Soap Donation – Thomas
- Soap Donation – Dispenza
- Coolers – Gregory, Angland, Casadevall, Winkler, Thomas, Wontor, Palazzi, Kenah – ANYONE
WHO COMES AND CAN BRING A COOLER WITH ICE IN IT!
- Pretzel Tubs, Coffee cans, Plastic containers w/ labels (for donations at gas stations) – Witte
- Large Tubs w/ labels (for donations at car wash area) – Witte
- Aprons (for concession collections) – Witte
- Balloons (red, white and blue – to attract attention to the carwash) – Christopher volunteered
- Palazzi to order and donate 100 additional glow-in-the-dark necklaces…to make a total of 400
necklaces and 200 wrist bands, tattoos and mint candies---THANK YOU!!
- Winkler to get Shooky’s input on any additional items needed (condiments / snacks) and to verify
closing time of IGA on 7/4 in case we run short on items.
- Group agreed to sell donated candy items (from Kenah and Dispenza).
5. Subject: Concession/Carwash Staffing Sign-ups (Winkler)
- Recommendation made for two hour time slots during carwash. Four-Six people needed to wash
cars. Two people needed across street til 4pm to staff tables at Turkey Hill and two at Sunoco. Four
people needed for advertising (sign holding along roadside). Six needed 5-7:30 and six needed 7:30-
10pm for concession.
- Ragonese and Palazzi to create scheduling sheets (including cell phone numbers). One to be
delivered to Witte for sign-ups on Wed 6/23 for Junior High girls/parents at Riverfront game. One to
be managed by Palazzi/Ragonese at 3x3 6/23 with older girls/parents. Ragonese and Palazzi to call
and remind/confirm volunteers prior to event. Palazzi is contact at 493-5455.
- R. Winkler to follow up with Coach Scartelli on possibility of contacting younger biddy
girls/parents to assist.
6. Subject: Basketball Game Concession (Thomas)
- Follow-up from last meeting on whether the Booster-Club vs. SADD will be doing concession at
home games. Ragonese said that Booster-Club CAN do the concession as long as we keep the SADD
food separated. Ragonese pointed out that this was NOT a big fundraiser.
- Group agreed that in order to make the concession worthwhile we needed to attract more people to
the games. This is one of the Club’s goals.
7. Subject: Interested Parties (Winkler)
- Please note the following people contacted the organization, expressing an interest in participating
in the fundraiser (even though they could not attend this evening): Dave Jeffries, Lori Christopher,
Dawn Krautter. Bob Paine will be on vacation all summer. Bob Mann currently on a well deserved
8. Subject: Next Meetings Dates (Winkler)
- Monday July 12 and Monday August 16 in NI Cafeteria. Some members noted conflict of Monday
night Riverfront games. Winkler explained that he was told Mondays were the best days available
through the school due to janitor availability. Only July 12th would conflict with a Riverfront game.
- If you know of anyone that has a daughter that is excited about basketball and wants to get involved
and is in grades 5-12, please encourage them to get involved. Forward this email to them. Invite them
to the next meeting or contact me. The more people that participate, the more successful we will be.
9. Subject: Close of Meeting (Winkler)
- Everyone will be emailed a copy of the minutes after every meeting, whether they attended or not.
- Palazzi adjourned meeting. Dispenza seconded the meeting adjournment. 7:45pm.
Next Meetings: Public meeting 6:30 Monday July 12, 2010 North Intermediate Cafeteria and 6:30
Monday August 16, 2010 North Intermediate Cafeteria