This is a template that provides information, instructions, and includes a sample contract
for a room rental between an owner and a tenant of a dwelling. The sample agreement
includes a description of the premises and the room to be rented. In addition, the
agreement specifies the term of the relationship, the rate charged, late charges, and
security deposits. This template is useful for individuals that want to learn about room
rentals and want a sample agreement they can provide tenants.
ROOM RENTAL AGREEMENT
This Room Rental Agreement (the “Agreement”) is made and entered into on the _____
day of ______________, 20____ by and between _______________ (“Owner”) and
1. Subject to the terms and conditions contained herein, Owner hereby does rent to Tenant
and Tenant hereby rents rent from Owner, for residential purposes only, the premises
known municipally as ____________________________ (the “Premises”) [Include
description of room(s) being rented in relationship to the rest of the house; e.g., second
floor bedroom on Northwest side] and located at:
2. The term of this Agreement shall commence on the ____ day of _________, 20____,
shall continue for a period of _______________ (_____) days/months thereafter, and
shall terminate on the _____ day of ______________, 20_____.
3. Owner and Tenant hereby acknowledge and agree that Tenant shall pay to Owner, the
sum of _______________ dollars ($________), payable in advance, as rent, on the _____
day of each and every month, commencing on the _____ day of _____________, 20____.
4. Owner and Tenant hereby acknowledge and agree that, should Tenant fail to make
payment of the rent in full on the day that such rent is due and payable to Owner, Tenant
hereby agrees to pay to Owner the rent in full within _____ (___) days after it is due.
[Commonly known as “grace period”]
5. Tenant hereby acknowledges and agrees to pay to Owner a late charge of ___________
dollars ($____) plus ___________ dollars ($_____) for each additional day the rent
continues to be overdue.
6. Owner and Tenant hereby acknowledge and agree that the total late charges that may be
paid by Tenant to Owner for any one (1) month period shall not exceed the sum of
___________ dollars ($______). This provision does not waive the right of Owner to
demand payment of the rent in full on the day it is due and payable.
7. Tenant hereby acknowledges and agrees to pay to Owner the sum of ______________
dollars ($_______) for any check returned for insufficient funds or is otherwise not
negotiable. Landlord may also charge late fees when applicable.
8. Owner and Tenant hereby agree that the Tenant shall pay ______ dollars ($___) as a
security deposit for the Premises, and said amount shall be returned at the end of the
tenancy to Tenant unless Tenant has failed to pay for damages, (normal wear and tear
excepted). In said event, the amount of damages shall be subtracted from the security
deposit, with the balance paid to Tenant.
© Copyright 2013 Docstoc Inc. 2
9. Owner and Tenant hereby acknowledge and agreement that Tenant shall be solely
responsible for payment of all utility charges and shall pay in full, such utility charges, on
the day that they are due.
10. Tenant hereby acknowledges and agrees that the Premises are to be used only by Tenant
as a private residence for the Tenant(s) named in paragraph one (1) above. Tenant further
hereby agrees that he/she will not use the Premises for any other purpose without
Owner’s prior written consent.
11. Owner and Tenant hereby acknowledge and agree that Tenant may have a guest stay on
the Premises with Tenant for a period up to _______ (___) months during any one year
period. Occupancy by a guest staying more than ______ (___) months is prohibited
without Owner’s written consent and shall be considered a breach of this Agreement.
12. Tenant hereby acknowledges that he/she has examined the Premises, including carpets,
drapes, and paint, and have found them to be in good, safe and clean condition and repair.
13. Tenant hereby acknowledges and agrees to keep the Premises in good order and repair,
and, upon termination of tenancy, to return the Premises to Owner in a condition identical
to that which existed when Tenant took occupancy, except for ordinary wear and tear.
14. Tenant hereby acknowledges and agrees to immediately notify Owner of any defects or
dangerous conditions in or about the Premises of which he/she becomes aware.
15. Tenant hereby acknowledges and agrees to reimburse to Owner, on demand by Owner or
his or her agent, for the cost of any repairs to the Premises damaged by Tenant, or their
guests or invitees.
16. Failure of Tenant to take possession of the Premises shall not relieve him/her of his/her
obligation to pay rent pursuant to the terms of this Agreement.
17. In the event Owner is unable to deliver possession of the Premises to Tenant for any
reason not within Owner’s control, including but not limited to, failure of prior occupants
to vacate as agreed or required by law, or partial or complete destruction of the Premises,
Owner shall not be liable to Tenant, except for the return of any sums previously paid
hereunder by Tenant to Owner in the event Tenant chooses to terminate this Agreement
as a result of Owner’s inability to deliver possession.
18. Tenant hereby acknowledges and agrees that he/she shall not sublet any part of the
Premises or assign this Agreement without the prior consent of Owner.
19. Tenant hereby acknowledges and agrees that Owner or Owner’s agents may enter the
Premises in the event of an emergency, to make repairs or improvements to the Premises,
or to show the Premises to prospective purchasers or tenants. Except in case of
emergency, the Owner shall give Tenant reasonable notice of its/his/her intent to enter the
Premises. In order to facilitate the Owner’s right of access, Tenant shall not, without
© Copyright 2013 Docstoc Inc. 3
Owner’s prior written consent, alter or re-key any locks to the Premises. At all times,
Owner or Owner’s agent shall be provided with a key or keys capable of unlocking all
such locks and gaining entry to the Premises. Tenant further hereby acknowledges and
agrees to notify Owner if he/she installs any burglar alarm system as well as to provide to
Owner instructions on how to disarm it.
20. Tenant hereby acknowledges and agrees that Tenant shall be entitled to the quiet
enjoyment of the Premises. Tenant shall not use the Premises in such a way as to violate
any law or ordinance, commit waste or nuisance, or annoy, disturb, inconvenience, or
interfere with the quiet enj