AP EUROPEAN HISTORY Unit 4 Curve Packet
Assignment #1 &2, Absolutism in France
p. 531-532, 536-545, and Primary Source 16-3
1. Prompt: In the 17th century, an economic and political crisis struck Europe. Outline
historical events that support this prompt.
2. Define the characteristics of sovereignty.
3. Where does sovereignty lie in an absolutist state?
4. What are the major characteristics of an absolute monarchy? Explain in detail.
5. Using 536-545, outline and write this free response question essay. (Include page #
Louis XIV declared his goal was “one king, one law, one faith.” Analyze the methods
the king used to achieve this objective and discuss the extent to which he was successful.
6. Read Primary Source 16-3 Jean-Baptiste Colbert, Memoir on Finances, 1670. You will
have a bellringer on it.