CONTRA COSTA WATER DISTRICT
BOOM TRUCK OPERATOR
Under general supervision, operates a portable, multi-purpose boom and auxiliary equipment
with various types of controls in lifting and moving heavy loads.
Positions in this class have responsibility for the safe and efficient, movement and operation of
boom truck equipment. A high level of skill and considerable amount of experience are required
to operate this equipment because of hazards when used in the vicinity of high tension wires, its
weight, and its movement of heavy loads close to workers also create special hazards to life and
property. Boom operation differs from other heavy equipment operation in that boom operation
involves spotting, rigging, and operation of booms with a variety of auxiliary attachments.
Operator may work without the specific direction of a Crew Leader.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
1. Secures boom and/or load and drives boom truck to and from job locations.
2. Spots for boom truck; selects and rigs auxiliary attachments and determines methods and
precautions necessary for the most efficient and safe operation.
3. Operates boom and auxiliary equipment in lifting and moving heavy loads and moving or
loading pipe, valves, fittings, equipment, 'etc.
4. Performs proper lubrication of vehicle, boom, and attachments.
5. Gives directions to truck drivers and other workers assigned to perform work related to
the operation of the boom.
6. Makes operating adjustments and minor repairs in the field.
7. Reports necessity for major repair work and assists in minor repair work in the field.
8. Maintains safe operating conditions to protect people and property from injury by the
9. Makes reports on the conditions of equipment and on the work performed.
10. Performs duties of Utility Worker or Dump Truck Operator, as business needs dictate.
11. Assumes the responsibility of relief Backhoe Operator, as required.
CONTRA COSTA WATER DISTRICT
Boom Truck Operator
Page 2 of 2
QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT
Completion of the twelfth grade or its equivalent; ability to perform basic arithmetic.
Minimum of one year employment with the District as a Utility Worker, or comparable
Knowledge and Abilities:
Experienced in the operation adjustments, limitations, and maintenance of boom
construction equipment with auxiliary attachments.
Thorough understanding of the safety practices, visual direction signals, and
hydraulic/mechanical principles of boom operation.
Must be able to make accurate, complete, and legible reports as well as keep basic
Ability to perform the duties of Utility Worker, Dump Truck Operator, and Backhoe
Must be able to tactfully communicate with the general public.
Must possess a California Class One driver's license and have a satisfactory driving
Must successfully pass a physical examination before employment with the District.
Must be in good physical condition for doing strenuous outdoor work under a variety of
climatic and geographic conditions.
Stand-by and work outside of normal working hours may be required.
Adopted: February 24, 1984