Golf Cart / UTV Rules
1. A golf cart/UTV is a motor vehicle. All rules that apply to a car or truck also
apply to golf carts/UTVs including traffic laws. All rules apply on the beach
2. You MUST have a valid driver’s license to operate a golf cart/UTV.
3. You may only operate a golf cart/UTV on a roadway that has a speed limit of
NOT more than 35 mph. YOU CANNOT OPERATE ON A HIGHWAY (The
highway includes shoulders and ditches). You may cross the highway at a
traffic control device but only go straight across.
4. You can only operate a golf cart/UTV between sunrise and sunset.
5. You must have a slow moving triangle on the rear of the golf cart/UTV.
6. Neither the driver nor passenger of a golf cart/UTV may have an open
container of alcohol in it, even if it is not moving.
7. If an unlicensed driver is operating a golf cart/UTV, the parent or person in
charge of the cart may be charged with “allowing an unlicensed driver to
operate a motor vehicle”.
8. 8. A golf cart/UTV MUST have a beach parking sticker to park on the beach.
9. If the golf cart/UTV is equipped with safety belts, they MUST be worn.
The Galveston County Sheriff’s Office and Precinct 6 Constable’s Office are
stepping up enforcement of these laws. The number of accidents resulting in
serious bodily and death have increased dramatically recently due to the
popularity of these vehicles. These are not new laws, warnings have been
given for years but most have been ignored.