11811 Avenue of the PGA, 7-3G
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418
Nationality: U.S. Citizen
Weight : 213
To obtain short term employment assisting new owners in the fitting out/preparation and initial operation of
their new yachts. I would also act as a captain/ third crew member while the owner(s) become comfortable
and gain confidence in their abilities and skills in the operation of their new yacht.
Licensed, seasoned and service-driven Captain and Yacht Maintenance Supervisor with over 33 years
experience in sail and power yachts and proven expertise in all phases of yacht operations.
• United States Coast Guard Master License 100 GRT, STCW 95, with Sail Endorsement.
• Successful completion of Crisis Management & Human Behavior and Crowd Management
courses as per STCW 95 regulations.
• Auxiliary Mechanic, United States Navy Submarine Service (Senior Chief Machinist Mate) retired
after 20 years of service.
• Yacht and system maintenance/repair and general troubleshooting to maintain quality standards
and pristine boat conditions (including mechanical, electrical, electronic, communication,
plumbing, engine room equipment, ship’s systems, hydraulics, and varnishing) .
• Coordination/supervision of major refits, refurbishing projects and engine overhauls: expedite
project from initial evaluation and contracting through timely completion and accurate
• State-of-the-art navigation and itinerary planning/coordination.
• All provisioning and inventory management for long and short passages.
• Quality control, safety management and effective emergency response.
• Team building, leadership and motivation.
• Maintaining effective business relationships with marinas, dock masters, sub-contractors, vendors,
captains, associated boat yard personnel in various countries.
WATERS NAVIGATED: Three Trans-Atlantic passages, Mediterranean Sea, East Coast United States
(Florida to Maine), Intracoastal Waterway, Eastern & Western Caribbean, Pacific Northwest, Eastern
Pacific coast ( British Columbia to Panama), Panama Canal, and Columbia, South America.
Jan. 2008 – Sept. 2008
Mar. 2009 – June 2010 Segue II (N47-#49), Maggie May (N55-#29), Angela J (N55-#34),
William Tell (N47-#06), Journey (N55-#12), C'mon Girl (N47-57),
Marytime (N60-47), Let's Dance (N47-26), Last Mango (N55-08),
Tropic Explorer (N40-31), & Eliana (N76-17).
• Assisted the owners of the above Nordhavn yachts either in
the final commissioning and the fitting out, including yard
periods for installation of various electronic and mechanical
equipment as well as overseeing warranty work, and/or
• Acted as captain/instructor or delivery captain delivering the
yachts with owners aboard to various locations in North
America, the Caribbean, or Central America. While underway
instructed the owners in the use of the various complex
electronic systems, everyday operations and seamanship.
Reason leaving: My motto is to “work my way out of a job” in the
capacity as captain/instructor and the owners became comfortable
and confident with the operation of their yachts and no longer
required my assistance, and/or the delivery was completed.
Oct. 2008 – Feb. 2009 Sunset Kelly (#65-#02) a Marlow 65E (Explorer)
• Fit out and monitored/supervised the $130,000.00 (not
including electronics) refit of Sunset Kelly during a 3 month
yard period. Worked closely with the yard and owner in
making modifications/improvements to all systems on a 7
year old yacht to bring it up to date and to as-new condition.
• Performed a shakedown cruise on the west coast of Florida to
verify operation of all equipment and modifications,
performed various maintenance/repair actions and trained the
owner and his wife in the general operation, navigation of
Sunset Kelly and the use of various onboard systems and
Reason leaving: The owner required a full time long term captain
and I was already committed to a new Nordhavn 55 build slated to
come online in spring 2009. The post shakedown yard period was
the perfect time to turn over to a new captain. (This commitment
was known to Mr. Mendelsohn upon my hire in Sept. 2008.)
July 2007 – Jan. 2008 Moana Kuewa (N55-#11) Nordhavn motor yacht
• Performed independent assessment of all boat systems,
upgraded all safety equipment and ensured the vessel was
ready for trans-Atlantic passage and Europe. (May 2007)
• Managed major warranty and new work including repairs on
the John Deere engine, replacement of the ship’s davit and
various boat modifications to cruise in Europe.
• Developed, coordinated and implemented a detailed and
customized maintenance and documentation plan.
Reason leaving Moana Kuewa; To gain sea time faster for
upgrading of captain’s license. (This was accomplished by Sept.
May 2007 – July 2007 Med Bound 2007 Rally; Florida to Gibraltar
Chief Engineer (fleet of 9 Nordhavn Yachts ranging from 40 to 62 ft)
• Conducted comprehensive pre-underway inspections
(electrical, mechanical, and stowage) on all yachts
participating in the rally.
• Performed various repairs when needed including trouble
shooting a Niad stabilizer problem, eventually leading to the
replacement of the potentiometer.
Reason Leaving Med Bound 2007; Completion of passage from
Ft. Lauderdale to Gibraltar.
May 2000 –April 2007 Chimera Blue Corporation, Palos Park, IL
Captain (60’ Hinckley custom built sailing yacht “Chimera”)
• Plan, organize and direct all ship operations: primary
responsibilities include navigation, operation, maintenance
and safety of vessel, crew and guests in various countries
throughout the world.
• Established documentation for maintenance activities and
schedules. Initiated parts inventory system to optimize
resource utilization and established equipment manuals and
Reason Leaving Chimera: Change of owner’s plans which will
no longer required a full time Captain.
Rick and Debbie Heiniger, owners M/Y Eliana
Kim and Claudia Petersen, owners M/Y Tropic Explorer
(954) 415-8800 email@example.com
Bill and Carol Sanford, owners M/Y Let's Dance
(843) 540-3811 firstname.lastname@example.org
David Lee, owner M/Y Last Mango
+44-7921-684-771 (Panama) DLee@lee-and-allen.com
Victor Murray, owner M/Y Marytime
(516) 860-9900 email@example.com
Guy and Lou Goodwin, owners M/Y C'mon Girl
(239) 919-4403 (U.S. number) firstname.lastname@example.org
Peter and Joanne Powers, owners M/Y Journey
(404) 272-3711 email@example.com
James and Vicky Brewer, owners M/Y William Tell
(423) 718-0323 firstname.lastname@example.org
John and Angela Panusa, owners M/Y Angela J
(604) 277-1509 email@example.com
Fred and Laurie Mendelsohn, co-owners M/V Sunset Kelly
(813) 368-6911 firstname.lastname@example.org
Andy and Susan Francis, owners M/V Maggie May
(317) 416-7444 email@example.com
Dave and Kaye Poulson , owners Segue II
(403) 650-5473 firstname.lastname@example.org
Christine Bauman, owner M/V Moana Kuewa
(808) 927-4588 email@example.com
Milt Baker, Organizer of Med Bound 2007
(954) 610-5193 firstname.lastname@example.org
Richard Dickson, owner S/V Chimera
(708) 361-4037 email@example.com