468 Limerick Rd
Arundel, ME 04046
Tel: (207) 985-4201
Office Hours are:
Monday - Friday 8:00 to 4:30
Elevation: 40 feet
Topographic Map of Arundel
Aerial Photo of Arundel
Local Map of Arundel
Arundel Tax Assessors
Incorporated as North Kennebunkport -Apri1 1, 1915
Change name to Arunde1- September 9,1957
The Town of Arundel consists of approximately 24 square miles with 45 miles of Town roads.
The City of Biddeford and the towns of Kennebunkport, Kennebunk, Lyman and Dayton border it.
Arundel's population is currently about 3,571 people based upon the 2000 census, or 34% higher than the
population found in the 1990 census making Arundel the ninth fastest growing community in Maine.
Three major routes, Interstate 95 (Maine Turnpike), Route 1 (Portland Road) and Route 111 (Alfred Road),
run through Arundel connecting Biddeford to Sanford and Kennebunk, Kennebunkport.
Arundel's housing is primarily owner occupied single family units. Only 4% of the total housing units are in
duplex or multi-family structures. The town has three mobile home parks.
Arundel has a Volunteer Fire/Rescue Department staffed by one full time fireman/EMT, on duty Monday
through Friday. The new main station was completed in 1998 and is located on the Limerick Road adjacent
to the Town Office. There is also a small substation located on the Old Post Road. Emergency medical
services are provided through a combination of Arundel’s own EMS service and mutual aid agreements
with our neighboring towns.
Law enforcement is provided through a "Contract Deputy" that works 40 hours per week in Arundel.
Outside of the deputies regular hours the York County Sheriffs Department and the Maine State Police
cover the town.
The Town Offices are located at 468 Limerick Road. The hours are from 8 am to 4:30 PM, Monday through
Friday. Services provided include: Motor vehicle re-registrations; Boat, ATV, and Snowmobile new and re-
registrations; Hunting & Fishing licenses; dog registrations; tax collection; Birth, Marriage and Death
certificates. Assessing records are also available during these business hours.
The Town has a Transfer Station for recycling and trash collection which is open on Wednesdays and
Saturdays from 8 am to 5 PM. Arundel charges a per bag fee, based upon weight, to encourage recycling -
All recyclables are free.
The Mildred L. Day School located on the Limerick Road provides education for Grades K through 8. High
School students are tuitioned to the local area high school of their choice.
Mildred Day School
Arundel is the successor to several boundary and name changes affecting towns in York County.
A town by the name of Arundel was incorporated on June 10, 1719 from an earlier settlement known as
Cape Porpus. By 1821 the name Arundel disappeared as it was changed to Kennebunk Port on February
19th of that year.
Nearly a century later, on April 1st, 1915, a new town was created from Kennebunk Port to be known as
North Kennebunkport. Its name was changed in 1957 to Arundel. Thus, the new Arundel occupies a small
portion of the town so named in 1719.
But, just to complicate matters, a village in the current town of Kennebunkport, is known as Arundel!
Kenneth Roberts’ historical novel Arundel recounts the early life of the area and influenced the
reemergence of the name.
Cape Porpus from 1653-1719
Arundel from 1719-1821
Kennebunkport from 1821-1915
North Kennebunkport from 1915-1957
Arundel since 1957
Arundel was originally part of the area known as Cape Porpoise. Early land grants and deeds from the
seventeenth century describe Cape Porpoise as extending between the Batson and Mousam rivers. In
1681, a written description of the town’s boundaries was prepared. Cape Porpoise had lost and gained
land, shifting to the east. The town extended eight miles inland, between the Kennebunk and Little rivers.
Livelihoods were gained from fishing, farming, and building masts for ships. There is today evidence of the
earliest sawmills and gristmill.
In 1681 the first Mill Grant was issued and along River Road, 100-acre lots were deeded. At this time as
well, Native Americans, believed to be Micmacs, inhabited the area. From the region of Walkers Lane,
where Route One now crosses the Kennebunk River, south to the area where Goff Mill Brook crosses River
Road, near the Cape Arundel Golf Course, there were at least five mills and a brickyard. Most of the mills
were saw mills, but one became a fulling mill where thread was made from cotton and the Goff’s Brook Mill
became a gristmill.
An area along the Kennebunk River was known as the Indian Planting Ground. Prior to 1680, it is believed
the Native Americans used this as their summer residence.
As would be expected, fishing was a prominent livelihood of these early residents. Boat building was a
major trade as well. Some very large boats came from the boat yard along the river. Locks were set in place
at various points, the intent being to allow construction of larger ships at the boat yards. These early
industries thrived along the Kennebunk River will into the 1800’s and early 1900’s.
The Indian Wars, 1680 to 1720, caused evacuation of the town. After the hostilities ended, the town was
reestablished with the new name Arundel. Each returning settler was given a parcel of land in return for
providing needed skills and service. Within a few years a major settlement was created by giving 100-acre
lots to sons and other young men on the Saco Road, now known as Route 1A. This created a buffer
between the old village (Kennebunkport), and the Native Americans, while providing the young families
with gifts of land. The community built a garrison on the Saco Road to further protect them from raids. As
the town became more secure, settlement extended upstream along the river.
Also during this time period, a conflict arose with land titles. On the northeast town line was what is now
named Biddeford. Biddeford grants started at the Saco River and ran southwest four miles, coming well
into Arundel and conflicting with the new grants here. The courts ruled that the Biddeford owners still
owned the land by prior rights, but that it was now Arundel and the taxes were payable to Arundel. This
accounts for the number of lots in town with long southwest property lines.
As families settled farther away from the coast, their means of livelihood reflected the differing
environments. These residents were primarily engaged in farming and lumbering and the large tracts of
undeveloped land typical of these lifestyles are still very evident west of the turnpike.
As the northwestern part of the town continued to attract residents, cultural amenities followed. A Baptist
church was built on the parcel which currently houses the Town Hall. The structure, which currently serves
as the Town Hall, was originally erected in the late 1800’s as a social hall known as Parvo Hall.
In 1820, Maine was separated from Massachusetts and became a state of its own. The first Maine
Legislature approved the town’s request for a name change and Kennebunkport became the official name.
Until the construction of the railroad, there was a settlement area along the Burnham Road. One of
Arundel’s five one-room schoolhouses, built in 1868 and a church were located there. These schools were
used until the Arundel Elementary School, now called the Mildrerd L. Day Memorial School, was opened in
January 1960. Other school houses were the Iron Bridge School located on Route 1A, the Durrell School,
where the present Central Fire Station is located, the North Chapel School on Route 111, and the Irving
School on the Curtis Road. These were typical one-room schoolhouses at which children in the area
received their primary education. These schools changed little until the 1950’s when the fifth and sixth
grades were taught at the North Chapel School and the seventh and eight at the Durrell School. Also, in the
fifties, indoor plumbing became a reality. Three of the schools are still in existence today, two as
residences (the Burnham School House and the Irving School House, both in their original locations) and
one as a garage (the Durrell School House).
During the late eighteen hundreds, the railroad arrived in southern Maine. This had two effects on
Kennebunkport. The settlement along the Burnham Road split in two and eventually disappeared. The
schoolhouse remains, but is privately owned. The railroad also brought "summer people", and contributed
to the development of the coastal portions of the town.
By the turn of the century, the farmers and others in the rural portions of the town felt they should not have
to pay increased taxes to support services in the Cape Arundel area. The Legislature agreed to a
separation, creating two towns, with the split becoming effective at the 1916 town meeting. The new
municipality was called North Kennebunkport.
Shortly after this time, a new highway, the New Post Road, which we know as Route One, was built to
straighten out the Old Post Road. Campground Road was constructed to connect the new state road with
the Limerick Road, a county road. The Campground Road received its name due the to existence of
religious retreats in this area. These religious camps created the extremely narrow lots that exist to this
day along the Campground Road.
North Kennebunkport was a rural town made up mostly of farms. Its population in the 1920 Census, the
first it appears in as a separate town, was 564. It remained steady during the roaring twenties, increased
dramatically (60%) during the depression decade, and remained fairly constant until the 1960’s.
In 1957, the town voted to change its name back to Arundel. Being the rural portion of a previous town,
Arundel has no center of population or economic activity. Citizens traveled to neighboring population
centers to purchase goods and services. The increasing proportion of the population not dependent on
farming or forestry for their income also traveled to jobs in these areas. In the past thirty years, it has been
transformed from a rural town of dairy farmers to a "suburban" community for workers in neighboring
Senate District: 4
House District: 140
Congressional District: 1
Area: 24.1 sq miles
Pop. Density: 149/sq mile
Longitude: W 70:31:41
Latitude: N 43:26:25
Arundel has 46 family burial grounds that are catalogued here. The site has been set up so that you may
search by the name of the cemetery, the name of the individual buried, or, if they were a veteran, you may
pull up this list separately. Please be aware that all of the sites are on private property, so ask permission
of the property owner prior to visiting the burial grounds. At the bottom of the page you will find a link to a
map with the approximate location of each cemetery.
Each cemetery contains, along with a list of the names of those buried there, dates of birth/death, age at
death, veteran status, and tombstone or marker inscriptions and condition, if known. General identifying
information about each cemetery and its condition is also included.
Population 3,571 94 of 491 19 of 29
Median Income $ 49,484 28 of 491 7 of 29
Unemployment 2.60% 72 of 491 8 of 29
Mil Rate('03) $15.40 137 of 491 16 of 29
*2003 mil rates provided by Maine State Planning Office
Enrolled & Registered Voter Breakdown
Republican Democrat Green Unenrolled Total
651 (26.32%) 744 (30.08%) 50 ( 2.02%) 1028 (41.57%) 2473
*Data from State of Maine. Last Updated June 2002
Working in ARUNDEL
According to the U.S. 2000 Census, ARUNDEL How does income vary?
contained 1357 households which contributed a Income % %
total labor force of 2011 with an unemployment LT $10k 4.86%
rate of 2.6%. There were 962 women
respresented in the labor force accounting for
47.4% of the total workforce. The median income
per household in Arundel was $ 49,484. 84.6% of $25K-$35K 11.7% 30.2%
workers drive their own vehicles to work with an $35K-$50K 21.0%
average commute time of 24 minutes. $50K-$75K 29.2%
$75K-$100K 10.3% 60.5%
$200K+ 0.52% 9.3%
How do people get to work? What kind of work do people do?
Method Pct. Vocation Pct.
Drive 84.6% Professional: 28.4%
Carpool 10.1% Service: 13.1%
Public Trans. 0.52%
Farming /Fishing / Manufacturing: 2.1%
Agriculture / Forestry: 2.8%
Work at Home: 2.24%
Education / Health / Social: 20.5%
Arts / Entertainment: 8.4%
Public Admin: 3.5%
OWNING A HOME
According to the 2000 U.S. Census, there were a total of 1,415 housing units in ARUNDEL with an
occupancy rate of 96.3%. 76.7% of housing units represent one-family dwellings. The average
price of a home was $130,000
What types of properties do people own?
Type of Home Pct.
One-Family Homes 76.7%
3- to 4-Units 0.4%
5- to 9-Units 0.0%
10- to 19-Units 0.0%
20 plus Units 0.0%
Mobile Homes 19.3%
How old are properties in ARUNDEL?
When Built Pct.
1995 - 1998 10.3%
1990 - 1994 9.9%
1980 - 1989 24.6%
1970 - 1979 22.3%
1960 - 1969 7.6%
1940 - 1959 11.4%
Before 1940 10.3%
According to the 200 U.S. Census, ARUNDEL contained 190 rental units with an average monthly rental rate of
What are monthly rental rates in ARUNDEL? How much do people spend on rent as a percentage of
Rental Rate Pct. income?
Less than $200 0.0% Pct. of Income Pct.
$200 - $300 3.7% LT 15% 15.8%
$300 - $500 11.1% 15% - 20% 27.9%
$500 - $750 33.7% 20% - 25% 12.1%
$750-$1000 22.6% 25% - 29% 5.8%
$1000 - $1500 12.1% 30% - 35% 7.4%
$1500+ 3.7% 35% + 17.9%
Not Reported 13.2%
Schools in ARUNDEL
School MSAD Address Phone: Enroll Grades
Mildred L Day School Arundel School 600 Limerick Road 2844677 400 K - 8
Principal: Thomas D. Parker Department
School Around Us NA 281 Log Cabin Road 9673143 0 K-8
Principal: Nancy Cambrola-Jones
Single-family new house construction building permits:
1996: 26 buildings, average cost: $79,000
1997: 2 buildings, average cost: $150,000
1998: 23 buildings, average cost: $98,800
1999: 31 buildings, average cost: $102,400
2000: 32 buildings, average cost: $113,400
2001: 22 buildings, average cost: $125,300
2002: 33 buildings, average cost: $126,000
2003: 39 buildings, average cost: $115,100
2004: 46 buildings, average cost: $133,200
Average climate in Arundel, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Hospitals/medical centers near Arundel:
SOUTHERN MAINE MEDICAL CENTER (about 7 miles; BIDDEFORD, ME)
HENRIETTA D GOODALL HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; SANFORD, ME)
YORK HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; YORK, ME)