EDWIN W. MEYER
CONSULTING SOFTWARE ENGINEER
1701 N. Sayre Ave.
Chicago, IL 60707
Current specialty: Ruby on Rails design and implementation
· Web Servers: Apache, Mongrel, Phusion Passenger
· Operating Systems: Mac OS X, Linux, Windows
· Databases: Oracle SQL, MySQL
· Other Technologies: Java J2EE (Servlets, JSP, EJB and JDBC), Git, SVN, Eclipse,
RubyMine, XML, XSLT, C++
Aon Hewitt Corp. (Lincolnshire, IL) 2011 to present
· Designed and implemented new Ruby on Rails functionality for extensions to an existing
health insurance sales and customer relationship management system and companion
· Closely interacted with the chief architect, business managers, quality assurance and other
team members on requirements, design, and implementation issues.
· Investigated production system issues and performed test and production environment
· Worked primarily remotely with a geographically distributed development and management
team via email, messaging, and phone conferencing.
· Worked substantial overtime to deliver required functionality for scheduled deployments to
meet the needs of an expanding sales force.
Environment: Ruby on Rails, Oracle, Macintosh OS X, RubyMine, Subversion,
Argonne National Laboratory (Lemont, IL) 2010 to 2011
· Designed and implemented a radiation exposure management system in Ruby on Rails in
consultation with an Argonne staff member.
· Interviewed radiation safety section staff to obtain information regarding the existing paper-
based system for assigning radiation dosimeters to workers. Performed analysis and design
for a replacement web-based application to fulfill these requirements.
· Worked intensively to deliver a functional system when the project was terminated early
due to funding cutbacks.
Environment: Ruby on Rails, Oracle, Ubuntu Linux, HTML, CSS, Subversion.
Metromix.com (Chicago, IL) 2009 to 2010
· Designed and implemented the mobile version of a leading entertainment website targeted
towards the 21-35 age group in Ruby on Rails (http://m.metromix.com).
· A key requirement was to perform seamless switching between the mobile and full-screen
views and also between two separate applications which served different groups of cities.
The resulting design achieved both requirements and also minimized code duplication by
placing the bulk of the code into the newer application.
· Development performed in an agile environment under Mac OS X.
page 1 of 3
Environment: Ruby on Rails, MySQL, HTML, CSS, Haml, “subdomain-fu” & “mobile-
fu” plug-ins, RSpec, Git, Macintosh OS X, TextMate, SSH.
Venture Interactive (Harrisonburg, VA) 2008 to 2009
· Designed and developed the “MoodManager” Ruby on Rails web application for delivery to
the Northwestern University Medical school in Chicago. MoodManager provides users
with informative modules and tools to learn about and cope with their depression.
· Assumed responsibility on short notice after the original lead developer left the project.
Successfully assimilated the architecture with minimal support and completed the “phase 1”
· Designed and implemented new “phase 2” features involving complex business logic
requirements involving the availability and sequencing of modules and tools.
· Interacted with the project manager to elicit specifications and with the Adobe Flash
developer on the service request interfaces.
Environment: Ruby on Rails, MySQL, HTML, CSS, Subversion, Adobe Flash, Apache,
Phusion Passenger, Windows XP (development), Linux (hosted Red Hat/Ubuntu), SSH,
Pictolink.com (Cambridge, MA & Chicago, IL) 2006 to present
· Designed and implemented a three-stage dynamic graphic link technology with applications
to web advertising.
Utilized Ruby on Rails to implement administrative functionality.
· A demonstration site that presents Pictolinks to over five hundred artist and art-related web
sites is located at http://ArtLinksGalore.com
Digimarc Corporation (Burlington, MA) 2004 to 2005
· Developed a web-based three tier materials inventory management subsystem for the
Florida drivers licensing system as part of a small team.
· Primary design and implementation responsibility for a subsystem for producing various
· Provided customer liaison, managed software deployments, and trained successor support
staff onsite in Tallahassee, Florida.
Tomcat, Windows Server 2003, Oracle, Eclipse, Perforce.
Stolat Investors (Watertown, MA) 2001 to 2003
· Designed and implemented in Java J2EE a web-based stock value analysis tool.
Lucent Technologies (Cambridge, MA) 2000 to 2001
· Elicited requirements, designed and developed a Java EJB to access an Oracle database for
an online analytical processing (OLAP) application.
· Analyzed business logic of an existing two tier customer service application written in
Visual C++ on top of a SQL server.
National Grange Mutual Insurance Co. (Keene, NH) 2000
· Reviewed the design and implementation of a multi-tier COM/DCOM-based customer
service application written in C++ and J++ and reported findings to the chief architect.
page 2 of 3
GTE Internetworking (Cambridge, MA) 1999
· Web administrator for a Solaris-based corporate portal involving content management, user
access, and PKI issues. Researched and documented features and procedures.
Netegrity, Inc. (Waltham, MA) 1999
· Member of the consulting group of the developer of a web access control system.
Edwin Meyer Software Engineering (Cambridge, MA) 1997 to 1998
· Object-oriented C++ development of a demonstration program for a software invention in
the field of grammatical inference.
Polaroid Corp. (Bedford, MA) 1995 to 1997
· Performed analysis, design and implementation of several drivers license production
systems written in C++.
· Appointed lead programmer for one license system project. This system was delivered on
time in spite of a tight schedule and met customer expectations.
Fidelity Investments, Putnam Investments, Millipore Corp., Synetics Corp. 1993-94
· Lotus Notes application design and development. C-language API interfaces.
Lotus Development Corp. 1989 to 1992
· Sales Engineer - Munich, Germany. Designed and conducted 3-day classes in Lotus Notes
in German and provided support for value added resellers and direct customers.
· Principal Software Engineer - Cambridge, MA. C-API development for a database product.
Micro Workshop of Cambridge (MA) 1977 to 1989
· Presented courses, authored books, and reviewed computer hardware and software products.
· Designed a Unix-based distributed real-time data acquisition and analysis system for former
employer Teledyne Geotech.
Teledyne Geotech (Alexandria, VA) 1974 to 1977
· Designed and implemented a system for real-time seismic data acquisition from the (Internet
· Architected two real-time distributed operating system proposals.
M.I.T. Project MAC (Cambridge, MA) 1967 to 1974
· MULTICS operating system development including: ARPANET protocol development;
ARPANET software interface; initial graphics system; system internals.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology. B.S. Electrical Eng. 1967. National Merit Scholar.
Harvard University. Graduate extension school coursework in expert systems, C++, object-
oriented programming, and discrete mathematics. 1989-1991.
· (Internet) Network Working Group Request For Comments: RFC 46, RFC 49, RFC 59,
RFC 79, RFC 82, RFC 98 (co-author), RFC 129 (co-author), RFC 492.
· Three end-user tutorial books on Wordstar (Prentice-Hall, 1984 – principal author) and
1-2-3 (Hayden Books, 1984 – principal author) & (Micro Workshop, 1986).
Recognized as an ARPANET Pioneer during the ARPANET 25th anniversary celebration
sponsored by Bolt Beranek and Newman, Inc.
Languages: Competent in German; studied Russian.
page 3 of 3