Castle Cornet was built in the 1200s because King John of England
needed to protect Guernsey’s harbour from the French.
KEY TO SYMBOLS:
☺ = Look for 1^ 1%
� = Imagine - 1)
j i e
h f 2$
1! g d
LOOK FOR THE CASTLE TRAIL SIGNS AND FOLLOW THE ROUTE
Start outside where you first came in.
1. The Entrance to the Castle
☺ Queen Elizabeth’s Coat of Arms
2. Go through the curved tunnel - GOOD DEFENCE
3. Lower Barracks ☺ a soldier in the first room
4. Bronze Plaques ☺ James de Saumarez’ ships
5. Guard House & SHOP ☺ things to buy!
6. Saluting Battery ☺ 7 cannons
7. The First Castle � you are attacking it
8. Lambert’s Garden ☺ a small cannon or two
9. The Barbican ☺ a trapped mangonel ball j
10. Upper Barracks & MARITIME MUSEUM
☺ a Ship’s Figurehead
11. Noonday Gun ☺ the GUN
TURN BACK TO THE FIRST CASTLE and go inside the
12. Prisoner’s Walk ☺the arch where Portcullis were
13. Sally Port Steps � imagine soldiers escaping from
here 700 years ago!
Do NOT go down the steps yet!
Go through the opening on the right.
14. The remains of the Medieval Chapel and Hall.
� the people who lived there and the Donjon or
Keep which blew up in 1672!
TO CONTINUE THE TRAIL GO DOWN THE STEEP STEPS 1@
15. The Gunner’s Tower � a walkway around the top
16. The Hospital Building ☺ the date it was built
17. The Sutler’s House ☺ the Kitchen Garden
Go through the opening and down
the Sally Port steps
18. Well Battery ☺ the Russian Cannon from the Crimea
19. Well Walk ☺ graffiti left by a German soldier in 1942
20. South Battery ☺ traversing Gun and German lookout
21. Musket Steps � soldiers in relays firing their guns
22. Governor’s Garden ☺ the pattern the plants make
23. Store Building
GO THROUGH THE TUNNEL 1(
walk past the Gunner’s Tower
GO DOWN THE METAL STAIRCASE PAST THE
24. Walk along the Town Bastion and back to the
Castle Cornet- Attacked by the French in the 1300s. Illustrated by Brian Byron
Look out for these great activity books in the Gift Shop:
CASTLE CORNET JUNIOR TRAIL
I BUILT THE FIRST CASTLE CORNET I DEFENDED THE EARLY CASTLE I PLANNED THE NEW WALLS OF
I ATTACKED THE CASTLE FROM I WAS IMPRISONED IN THE CASTLE MY FAMILY WAS BLOWN UP WHEN
GUERNSEY THE CASTLE KEEP EXPLODED
I WAS A SOLDIER IN THIS CASTLE I LOOKED AFTER THE SOLDIERS
I ATTACKED THE RAF FROM THE
FIND US ALL IN THE ‘STORY OF CASTLE CORNET’ MUSEUM