BARNARD CASTLE RAMBLERS 2010/2011
NOTES TO ACCOMPANY THE WALKS PROGRAMME
1. Unless otherwise stated, the meeting place is at the Health Centre Car Park in Barnard Castle (off
Victoria Road), to car share to the start point of the walk.
2. Car passengers should pay towards the driver's petrol money, (even on short journeys). Please try and
share the driving.
3. If you intend to go straight to the starting point, please ring the leader in case the walk has had to be
changed. Also, if you tell the leader you are going to the start point then change your mind, let the
leader know, so that they are not waiting around for you.
4. Leaders may do alternative walks to those on the programme. In bad weather, the route may be
altered, or cancelled, so check with the leader the night before.
5. Please note that mileages are approximate.
6. Make sure you are adequately dressed and equipped. Boots are advisable on most walks, except in the
driest of weather or short walks. Always carry waterproof clothing and adequate food and drink, with
some to spare. Most of our walks do not include a “pub” stop, but they will include stops for your own
7. Leaders should bear in mind the capabilities of the group and adjust the pace accordingly. No walker
should go ahead of the leader, or leave the group without the leader’s knowledge.
8. If you wish to take a dog on one of our walks, please check with the leader first as some walks are
not suitable for dogs. This is especially so on farmland where there may be cows with calves. Dogs
must be on a lead at all times.
9. INSURANCE: The leader is not responsible for any accident to persons or property on our walks.
PROGRAMMES: If you are NOT a member of Barnard Castle Group of the Ramblers Association, and
would like a regular copy of our programme, we hope that you will make a donation of £2 per annum, to
cover postage and photocopying. Better still, if you have an email we would prefer you to have your
programmes sent this way. This saves the group a lot of time and money. They are sent out as “blind
carbon copies” so that no one else can see your email address. To receive a programme, please contact
the Membership Secretary (see below).
MEMBERSHIP OF THE RAMBLERS ASSOCIATION: Details of membership can be obtained from the
Membership Secretary, Mrs Joan Martin. Tel. 01833 637825 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
FOOTPATHS: Any footpath problems you find should be reported to the Footpath Secretary, Mr John Bird.
Tel. 01833 650034 or email email@example.com. It would also be useful to report footpath problems to the
relevant County Council. The Rights of Way Officer for Teesdale is Mike Murden. His email is
Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org and his telephone number is 0191 383 4084.
LIST OF OFFICIALS - November 2010
CHAIRMAN: Ian Martin DEPUTY CHAIRMAN: Jo Bird
RA SECRETARY: Lynda Bares MINUTES SECRETARY: Frances Walker
TREASURER: Judith Baker MEMBERSHIP SECRETARY: Joan Martin
FOOTPATH SECRETARY: John Bird DEPUTY FOOTPATH SECRETARY: Tom Vlaming
PROGRAMME CO-ORDINATORS AND NEWSLETTER (alternate) Donna Harris and Pauline Fawcett
PROGRAMME DISTRIBUTORS: Donna Harris (email) and Maureen Raw (post)
AREA REPRESENTATIVES: Frances Walker and John Bird
WEBSITE MANAGER: Maggie Donnelly DEPUTY WEBSITE MANAGER: Lynda Bares
LOCAL ACCESS OFFICER AND COUNTRYSIDE OFFICER: Jo Bird
SLIDE SHOWS: Judith Baker with Christine Brass and Maureen Raw
COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Walter Balderson, Lis Vlaming and Maureen Raw
CONTACT PHONE NUMBERS ARE: Lynda Bares (Secretary) 01833 640258
John Bird (Footpath Secretary) 01833 650034 and Joan Martin (Membership Secretary) 01833 637825
Group email: email@example.com
Group website: www.barnardcastleramblers.org.uk